Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate times to wear a fedora

Torpedo

One Too Many
Not much new to add.

You will find plenty of styles here, some of which you will like, some you will not, even some you will like but that will not suit you, or that you like as seen in other people, but you do not favour yourself. Some gentlemen here are more hardcore and golden-age oriented, while others are not.

Polos and fedoras? Why not, if you like it?

Welcome and enjoy! :D

(And please post pics!)

BTW, Bart, this sentence of you is a PEARL:

If you can go a whole day without seeing another person in a fedora then I think you get to rewrite the rule book. Enjoy your hats.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Last night at a Bistro/Dinner Club to hear a deco era pianist/vocalist, one gent wore his cream dinner jacket, black bow tie, tux shirt, and black tux pants with a black Homburg - wow GORGEOUS!!!

M6Classic said:
I have a black fedora which I wear with...I know, I know,rt the horrors...a tuxedo.Buzz

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
WOW really good information here. thanks!

Wolfmanjack said:
When I’m wearing just a polo shirt and slacks, I tend to choose a stingy-brim (2”) fedora. When I’m wearing a vested suit and an overcoat, I tend to choose a wider-brim (2.5+”) fedora. As I pile on more clothes and my shoulders get wider, it seems to call for a wider brim.

Another consideration: In casual clothes, I tend to wear my fedora more toward the back of my head; in formal clothes, I’ll wear it down on my eyebrows.

In choosing a fedora, I recommend that you find a bricks-and-mortar hat store and try on a lot of hats: wide brims and narrow brims, tall crowns and short crowns, wide ribbon and narrow ribbon. Try at least three sizes: including a tighter size that will sit higher on your head and a looser size that will sit low near your ears. Put each one on the back of your head, then down on your eyebrows and all the possibilities in between. Try it on straight (horizontal side-to-side) and at a sharp rake. Do all this in front of a 3-way mirror, so you can see yourself as others see you. Perhaps you might want to take along a friend whose sartorial opinion you value, someone who seems to know how to look good in whatever he/she wears. Finally, of course, consider the other clothes you will most often wear with your fedora.

I hope this helps, Ryan. Have fun!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Uh, yeah I echo what Mr. BobC said, I gave up keeping a list of hats I wanted to buy for my hubby and our son with seeing what all he gents here wear. A great bunch of enablers all;) .

BobC said:
Let me repeat that....Enjoy your hats. Welcome to the lounge PS. You will like it here. And be careful of these people. They will drag you into their addiction just as they have me. :eek: :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Are those pointy bowling shoes??

Carlisle Blues said:
242101_Untitled-1.jpg

I think you can get away with your look:)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
lol lol lol Bravo, Woodfluter!

Woodfluter said:
Now here's an example from 1440's Italy, Donatello's statue of David. Showing that a snap-brim can even fit into clothing-optional situations. Yes, just hat and boots and a sword.

I'd forgo the laurel wreath unless you've just killed a giant, however.

- Bill

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo, but what you did add here is very good and useful advice. Thanks.

Torpedo said:
...You will find plenty of styles here, some of which you will like, some you will not, even some you will like but that will not suit you, or that you like as seen in other people, but you do not favour yourself. Some gentlemen here are more hardcore and golden-age oriented, while others are not. ...Polos and fedoras? Why not, if you like it?

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
munchausen said:
Is it a fashio faux pas to wear a fedora with a tux after 6pm? I'm not well versed in the finer points of proper dress etiquette.
There are people out there...and you know whom you are...who believe that it is a faux pas ever to wear anything so informal as a fedora with a tuxedo.

Buzz

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
munchausen said:
Is it a fashio faux pas to wear a fedora with a tux after 6pm? I'm not well versed in the finer points of proper dress etiquette.
Wearing a tux before 6:00pm is a faux pas. Wearing a fedora with a tux is not necessarily a faux pas as it became a common thing in the late 40s to wear a black or grey fedora with a tux. I personally say fedora with tux is fine, others will say homburg, so again there's no fixed rule owing to the fact that black tie is not as strict as white tie.

As for the original post, I would wear a fedora with anything but I also never wear T-shirts and wear long sleeved shirts almost all year round (purely out of personal preference). I'd say a fedora with a polo shirt is fine and while you may want to consider a more informal style like a light colour and a thin ribbon, I'd say a more formal style would also work without a problem. With a T-shirt a more formal style might look odd IMO but the collar of the polo shirt allows it to work with any sort of fedora.

Goose.

Practically Family
M6Classic said:
There are people out there...and you know whom you are...who believe that it is a faux pas ever to wear anything so informal as a fedora with a tuxedo.

Buzz
Yep. And that would include me. A Homburg or Top. So, for me, a Homburg. While I wear a fedora even when I dress down, I wouldn't wear a fedora with a tuxedo.

rrog

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
Wearing a tux before 6:00pm is a faux pas.

An exception to that rule would be the hired help. Take musicians, for example. A professional musician playing any kind of gig before 6 pm would quite possibly be required to wear basic musician black, which is black tux, cumberbun, tie and white shirt. I've done weddings, receptions, provided dinner (lunch) music for formal gatherings, chamber music and even full-fledged concerts, all before 6 pm. But again, in those circumstances, I was merely the hired help, much the same as a butler or busboy. And I certainly wasn't wearing any type of head gear.

rrog

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
Yep. And that would include me. A Homburg or Top. So, for me, a Homburg. While I wear a fedora even when I dress down, I wouldn't wear a fedora with a tuxedo.
A top hat??!! With a tuxedo???!!! The shame...the SHAME!

Buzz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner