Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archie Bunker hat?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The jacket is not right, either. He wore that tartan jacket almost 100% of the time. In other words, if they're going to photograph the character in his signature clothes, get them all correct.

Or, maybe by the time those pictures were taken, the hat and jacket worn in the series were already in the Smithsonian.

Last edited:
The tan jacket was worn in the later years of the series. A landmark time would be after Mike and Gloria moved to California. He also wore it on Archie Bunker's place.

HatsEnough

Banned
Hated the show, hate Carrol O'Connor, hate stingie brimmed hats. But it stands to reason that Archie Bunker did not always have the exact same hat. Long lived TV series rarely have 100% similarities in wardrobe for the entire length of the series. Also Archie appeared in several series, not just the crummy All In The Family.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Something weird I've noticed. In all the publicity shots for the show, Archie wears this Porkpie like hat:
dad_archie.jpg

Yet in the show itself, he NEVER wears that hat, instead wearing this Fedora:
archiehat.jpg

24652.jpg

I wonder why the publicity photos all show him wearing a hat he never wore on the show itself. It makes it seem like a Porkpie was Archie's signature hat, when in reality he often wore a battered fedora.

That's not a porkpie, it's the same hat. In the top photo, the hat is just creased much more deeply than in the screen shots. Low crown does not equal porkpie.

Brad

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
The crown of the first hat seems much lower than the crown of the other two pictures. I have pretty much the whole series on DVD and the hat is consistently like the last two pictures. It is pretty much the same hat throughout.

I think it's the angle of the first photo. You're lucky. I only have the first two seasons. I do wish that someone woulda told Arch to turn the front of his brim down so he didn't look like such a goober!

The crown of the first hat seems much lower than the crown of the other two pictures. I have pretty much the whole series on DVD and the hat is consistently like the last two pictures. It is pretty much the same hat throughout.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Came across this photo from the Smithsonian of Archie's famous hat, was considering one similar to that for myself, but I don't remember the brim being that stingy?

Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe Carrol O'Connor had a small head, I'm not sure, guess it doesn't look right to me not on his noggin.

4800262837_396ac0c360.jpg

24652.jpg

I'm pretty sure this picture of Archie and Gloria is from the short-lived spin-off series starring Sally Struthers in which Carroll O'Connor made a brief appearance. It aired in '82-83, after the end of ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE (a 2 or 3 season continuation of ALL IN THE FAMILY after most of the original cast had left). So this is very possibly NOT the same hat Archie wore through the ALL IN THE FAMILY years.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I'm pretty sure this picture of Archie and Gloria is from the short-lived spin-off series starring Sally Struthers in which Carroll O'Connor made a brief appearance. It aired in '82-83, after the end of ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE (a 2 or 3 season continuation of ALL IN THE FAMILY after most of the original cast had left). So this is very possibly NOT the same hat Archie wore through the ALL IN THE FAMILY years.

He wore the same hat in All in the Family. Different jacket most of the time though.

I'd bet you money the hat he's wearing here (the shot is from an episode of 'Gloria') is the same hat from the All in the Family series.

I know, but like any other style, it doesn't work for everyone!

Brim up was a very common style of wear a hat. Up until the 50's it was more popular that brim down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael