Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archie Bunker hat?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
How About This Fedora, Only $19,995.95!

Worn by Carroll O'Connor on All in the Family as Archie Bunker.

http://www.logantradingco.com/bunkerhat.htm

bunker2.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It looks like,...uhhmmm, a Mallory or something? [huh]
About 60 bucks on ebay? [huh]
How can anyone be sure it was really his hat? I remember some kind of sixties looking tweed stingy brim thing like from London Fog or something. :D

Is it just me or did the brim on Archie's hat look wider on TV?

Came across this photo from the Smithsonian of Archie's famous hat, was considering one similar to that for myself, but I don't remember the brim being that stingy?

Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe Carrol O'Connor had a small head, I'm not sure, guess it doesn't look right to me not on his noggin.

4800262837_396ac0c360.jpg

24652.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, the ribbon looks smaller too, in that first picture of Archie Bunker's hat. The second photo seems to be wider in both brim and ribbon, just a bit...

Tiller

Practically Family
I was going to say that Archie appeared in more than one series, including guest spots. Either that, or somebody got swindled.

I'd have to agree. For the record I'm not a fan of All in the Family, or the Archie character in general so I am not an "amateur expert". That said I have seen people selling "Archie's hat" on movie prop sites before. My guess is O'Connor had more the one hat during all the time he played the character.

Example.
lf

I have also seen the grey one that was up for sale. Something with both hats doesn't add up to me at all. Either hat is recognizable to me. It just kinda intrigues me. In all the times I've watched All in the Family and Archie Bunker's Place, I've never seen a hat on Archie's head besides that fedora above, except in maybe one episode of All in the Family.

I'd have to agree. For the record I'm not a fan of All in the Family, or the Archie character in general so I am not an "amateur expert". That said I have seen people selling "Archie's hat" on movie prop sites before. My guess is O'Connor had more the one hat during all the time he played the character.

Example.
lf

I have also seen the grey one that was up for sale. Something with both hats doesn't add up to me at all. Either hat is recognizable to me. It just kinda intrigues me. In all the times I've watched All in the Family and Archie Bunker's Place, I've never seen a hat on Archie's head besides that fedora above, except in maybe one episode of All in the Family.

Example.
lf

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Something weird I've noticed. In all the publicity shots for the show, Archie wears this Porkpie like hat:
dad_archie.jpg

Yet in the show itself, he NEVER wears that hat, instead wearing this Fedora:
archiehat.jpg

24652.jpg

I wonder why the publicity photos all show him wearing a hat he never wore on the show itself. It makes it seem like a Porkpie was Archie's signature hat, when in reality he often wore a battered fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass