Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are All Royal Stetsons Fur Felt?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I am a bit confused about Stetson nomenclature. I was under the impression that "Royal" was descriptive of the quality of felt in their hats, yet I occasionally see Royal Stetson hats listed as being made of wool felt. Can someone help clear this up for me? I would appreciate it!

warbird

One Too Many
I cannot recall ever seeing a Royal Steton wool. I would tend to think it is the ignorance of the seller. Some think pure felt means high quality wool and think the best hats are made of high quality wool.

There are some vintage wool hats around, but I don't recall any Royal Stets being so.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Thanks- I'd kind of wondered if that wasn't the case. I'd seen the "wool felt Royal Stetson" description a few times on eBay and once on Craigslist but never anywhere else.....and while there are many sellers who know exactly what they're selling and can describe it perfectly, there are also many who really have no clue. At least, it's like that with most things, and hats I'm sure are no exception.

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
warbird said:
I cannot recall ever seeing a Royal Steton wool. I would tend to think it is the ignorance of the seller. Some think pure felt means high quality wool and think the best hats are made of high quality wool.

There are some vintage wool hats around, but I don't recall any Royal Stets being so.

Same here-- I don't recall ever seeing a wool felt Stetson. My Royal Stetson Saxon is fur felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy