Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Classy Restaurants Lowering Dress Code Standards in Your Area?

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
In Tampa, many of the more upscale restaurants seem to be in hotels, and, yes, I've noticed that in order to get the hotel guests in, they'll pretty much allow a lot less "dress" then in the past. But, that's true in almost everything, isn't it? Church, funerals, "casual" Fridays, etc., etc.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Most definitely. It's been going on for some time now. For years most of the upscale restaurants in New Orleans required a coat and tie. A few still do, but for the most part, the dress codes have become lax. It's sad, really.

ITG said:
One of the more exclusive and expensive Dallas restaurants (The Mansion at Turntle Creek) has recently lowered their dress code expectations. Really sad. I'm wondering if classy restaurants in your area are doing the same. Here's the article:
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-mansion_05bus.State.Edition1.516f54c.html

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I haven't been in an upscale restraunt since, well a past life lol. But last time I tried going to an upper scale night club, we couldn't get in since the friend I was with was wearing tennis shoes and no tennis shoes were allowed.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
My husband works at a country club and they aren't supposed to let people in for dinner if they have jeans on. There were several instances where my husband told people they couldn't come in with jeans or sneakers. The people will raise a stink and my husband's boss went ahead and let them in, which would tick my husband off because he's upholding the restaurant's standards and his boss goes in and lowers the bar for some of the guests. Just wrong!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Last time I dropped in at Le Colonial, an elegant house reminiscent of
prewar French Saigon in Chicago's Gold Coast, I wore a suit but since it was
a luncheon more casual attire was apparent. Due to the midday hour, a less
formal room seemed appropriate. The salmon was excellent as always. :)

Barry

Practically Family
Years ago when I lived in Boston my dad was in town on business. We went out to dinner at a stodgy restaurant on Winter or Summer street in Boston, can't remember which. I was burning up in my blazer and without really thinking started to remove it. One of the waiter's assistants immediately grabbed my arm and politely whispered

"Sir, gentlemen are not permitted to remove their jackets in this room."

Live and learn!

Edit: It was the Locke Ober - this may have been the room (and what do we see?)

Locke-Ober.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A classless society

ITG said:
My husband works at a country club and they aren't supposed to let people in for dinner if they have jeans on. There were several instances where my husband told people they couldn't come in with jeans or sneakers. The people will raise a stink and my husband's boss went ahead and let them in, which would tick my husband off because he's upholding the restaurant's standards and his boss goes in and lowers the bar for some of the guests. Just wrong!
Raising a stink in a restaurant is one of my top peeves. Ugh. I sympathize with your husband, and the other diners.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
There are Dress Codes ???

Granted, I live in a back water area, But I can't remember when Dress codes were inforced.
Speaking of dress codes, remember when you dressed up to fly on an airplane. Before the strip search.:rage: :rage: :rage:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
We don't even have classy restaurants anywhere near where I live, much less a dress code! Yesterday my wife and I stopped at a "dairy bar" in Portsmouth for ice cream. It's one that's strictly take-away. Standing in front waiting for their orders were people who included a guy wearing a sleeveless shirt that said "AIDS kills fags" and another, very overweight, guy standing there with his tee shirt pulled up to his armpits. The rest were not much better. I was wearing trousers, a nice polo shirt, saddle shoes, and a straw fedora. Man, do I feel out of place here!

Cheers,
Tom

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
Tango Yankee said:
We don't even have classy restaurants anywhere near where I live, much less a dress code! Yesterday my wife and I stopped at a "dairy bar" in Portsmouth for ice cream. It's one that's strictly take-away. Standing in front waiting for their orders were people who included a guy wearing a sleeveless shirt that said "AIDS kills fags" and another, very overweight, guy standing there with his tee shirt pulled up to his armpits. The rest were not much better. I was wearing trousers, a nice polo shirt, saddle shoes, and a straw fedora. Man, do I feel out of place here!

Cheers,
Tom
I'm making a mental note never to go to Ohio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk