Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Classy Restaurants Lowering Dress Code Standards in Your Area?

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
pretty faythe said:
I haven't been in an upscale restraunt since, well a past life lol. But last time I tried going to an upper scale night club, we couldn't get in since the friend I was with was wearing tennis shoes and no tennis shoes were allowed.

I did notice though that Vegas being the showy place it is, a lot of restaurants had dress codes there. Too bad everywhere else can't maintain it.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
tinmanzzz said:
Granted, I live in a back water area, But I can't remember when Dress codes were inforced.
Speaking of dress codes, remember when you dressed up to fly on an airplane. Before the strip search.:rage: :rage: :rage:

I still do. Often I wear a tie and I always wear a sportcoat and slacks.

Travis

Suspended
MK said:
The one that takes the cake is when Deckard and I were in London in January and a club wouldn't let him in wearing a tie!

This is a story I really want to hear. Did they have a reason, or did they just have a policy against Deckards?

vonwotan

Practically Family
I do find it unfortunate that the few restaurants that do have dress codes are not enforcing them. Part of the experience of going to a formal dining room in a beautifully decorated restaurant is escapism - the opportunity to get away from the daily grind. T-shirts and baseball caps look so out of place in this environment that it detracts from the experience. The lead-up, dressing for dinner, and the anticipation of the evening as an occasion is all part of that experience. Dressing for dinner is/was also a matter of respect for others.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lesvinyl said:
I'm making a mental note never to go to Ohio.

Don't judge the whole state by this area--I like Columbus and there are a number of small towns that seem like decent places. But this area, man, how do I explain it? I guess I can't, since I don't understand the prevailing mind set at all. There seems to be a great lack of respect for anything--laws, private property, personal property, each other, themselves. Of course, there are exceptions, but the majority seems to be this way.

An example: there is a decent restaurant in Lucasville. They serve great food, but there isn't a dress code because they wouldn't survive if they tried to enforce it. Most of the people who go there at least dress in clean clothes. The restaurant is in a dry township. During the last election the owner got a measure put on the ballot asking to be allowed to serve alcoholic beverages. It lost by three votes. He told me that the problem is that the people who could vote for the measure aren't the people who come into the restaurant.

Another interesting experience: I was called in for jury duty. A majority of the women in the pool dressed fairly nicely, appropriate to the duty and venue. I was dressed in business casual, including tie, sport coat and carrying a straw fedora. Most of the other men were dressed in jeans/tee shirt, though a couple did wear shirts that buttoned. When it came time for the attorneys to pick those they wanted to bump, the prosecutor bumped others. I was the first the defense attorney bumped, though.

It would be nice to go out to dinner from time to time in a nice restaurant, with other diners who are also dressed appropriately for the venue.

Cheers,
Tom

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fitty Matt, hotter than Hades!

Emmababy said:
it means he's hot

fit=hot
fitty= hotty

i'm a gangster trapped inside a 19 year old girls body

When this photo was taken, what you cannot see out of shot, was the ring of steel around Deckard, keeping the screaming women at bay. If ever a man turned heads when he walks into a restaurant, it's this gentleman.
I don't know what charasmatic magic you have my friend, but bottle it and pass the bottle along sir!! (like a good Port)
PaddyMatt-1.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MK said:
The one that takes the cake is when Deckard and I were in London in January and a club wouldn't let him in wearing a tie!

There's a gun store here in town that will cut off your tie (at about the 3rd button) with scissors if you don't make for the door or get it off quick enough. They staple them to a post.

One of the better Lounges in town, "Bernie's Bungalow", had a brief fling with a dress-coded upstairs section but that apparently didn't last. The clientele is pretty swank (and "swooshy" for that matter) so I'm not sure what happened. I'll have to ask next time I go there.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Don't judge the whole state by this area--I like Columbus and there are a number of small towns that seem like decent places. But this area, man, how do I explain it? I guess I can't, since I don't understand the prevailing mind set at all. There seems to be a great lack of respect for anything--laws, private property, personal property, each other, themselves. Of course, there are exceptions, but the majority seems to be this way.

Cheers,
Tom
Geez, and I thought Cleveland was bad! :eusa_doh:
Is it the same Lucasville with the prison? Maybe that explains the rough populace. A lot of the former residents of the prison just decide to stay in town maybe?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
There's a gun store here in town that will cut off your tie (at about the 3rd button) with scissors if you don't make for the door or get it off quick enough. They staple them to a post.
That reminds me of a story that I heard about an S.F. bay area business where the founder didn't allow any of his employees or visitors to enter wearing a tie. He'd cut the offending neck ornamentation off with a pair of scissors. This business went belly up just this year. The curse of the cravat!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I belong to the Erie Club, a city club in our downtown, and they sent out a survey to members.

Surprisingly (and happily), a majority of the members voted against jeans anywhere in the club.

The dress code is a tie and jacket in the formal dining room, and a collared shirt and pants in the bar area. The club did scale back the formal dining area because more people perfer the causual area but they don't seem to want it that causual. People have been asked to leave the club if they show up in jeans, including the son of a VIP. I applaud!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko