Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Classy Restaurants Lowering Dress Code Standards in Your Area?

koopkooper

Practically Family
Without having a dig at shooshoobaby's comment "i am comfortable with myself as i am, with or without dolling myself up. i technically could primp every day, but i don't feel a dying need." I disagree strongly.

Sadly I think this is the general modern day thought.

Personally I think that how you feel about yourself and your respect for others is reflected in how you dress.

I don't wear a suit and tie everyday, but I do wear trousers, collar shirt and a hat everyday. I shave, trim my moustache and put Royal Crown in my hair to slick it back every day. People think I am dressed up to go to the shop, but I actually feel like I am dressed casually in clean clothes which are ironed.
I wear deodorant and aftershave to smell nice. I think that some girls think they have to go berserk to look vintage but that's not true. Just with mens clothing there are variations you can wear for everyday wear.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
koopkooper said:
Without having a dig at shooshoobaby's comment "i am comfortable with myself as i am, with or without dolling myself up. i technically could primp every day, but i don't feel a dying need." I disagree strongly.

Personally I think that how you feel about yourself and your respect for others is reflected in how you dress.

I don't wear a suit and tie everyday, but I do wear trousers, collar shirt and a hat everyday. I shave, trim my moustache and put Royal Crown in my hair to slick it back every day. People think I am dressed up to go to the shop, but I actually feel like I am dressed casually in clean clothes which are ironed.
I wear deodorant and aftershave to smell nice. I think that some girls think they have to go berserk to look vintage but that's not true. Just with mens clothing there are variations you can wear for everyday wear.

I'm on shooshoo's side, but I see where you're coming from.

Sure, being sloppy is a negative, but I think the requirement for acceptable is pretty low. Shower daily, wear clothes that fit and have no holes, don't smell bad ... that's about it. Unless you are wearing insulting teeshirts, you're in the clear.

I run a comb through my hair right out of the shower and I'm done. I'm not a shave everyday type of guy. I shave a couple times a week + when I go out and I don't feel like that disrespects myself or others. Dress up real nice every once in awhile, sneak a few glances in the mirror and I feel good about myself (in that necessary superficial way) until the next time.

I wear jeans half the time ... and if I'm just running errands, I'll wear a teeshirt. Most other things, lunch or coffee, etc, I wear a collared shirt. If I know I'm going to be out for a long time, I may kick it up a notch. And if I am going someplace nice, I'll dress to the occasion. But the fact is, that ain't everyday.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Nashoba said:
some of us still do :). Especially when going into the city.
:eek:fftopic:
I do miss SF though. I hope I can get up there when I visit home next. My husband proposed there and if I'd had my way (which I didn't :( I would have been married at the Marines Memorial Club Hotel on Sutter. As it was I had to settle for the Navy Chapel at Moffett Field...

Bless you.:)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
koopkooper said:

I agree with everything you've said. It only takes me 20 minutes to fix my hair and makeup, and it doesn't take any longer to put on and decent pair of jeans or slacks or a skirt and a nice top than it does to put on a track suit. I don't understand the all-or-nothing idea.

texasgirl

One Too Many
ITG said:
One of the more exclusive and expensive Dallas restaurants (The Mansion at Turntle Creek) has recently lowered their dress code expectations. Really sad. I'm wondering if classy restaurants in your area are doing the same. Here's the article:
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-mansion_05bus.State.Edition1.516f54c.html

Well, I am torn on this one. I've always wanted to go to the Mansion on Turtle Creek, but it's so expensive. So I like that they are going to have more "moderate prices," But I think they should keep the dress code. But if I ever do go, I'd dress up. But now that they are changing it, it kinda loses the mystique of even going there in the first place [huh]

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I dont mind if Classy Restaurants lower their dress code standards, as long as they don't lower their food and menu quality.

Besides - most of the time these two factors do not often work together.
Many "posh restaurants" are know for serving lousy food.;)
Just my 2cents...

sarah smith

New in Town
I didn't read all of the posts, so maybe someone brought this up already and if so, then...

but if you refer to the resturant as "Classy" then to me you might as well being wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Perhaps "fine dining" would be a better choice?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
texasgirl said:
Well, I am torn on this one. I've always wanted to go to the Mansion on Turtle Creek, but it's so expensive. So I like that they are going to have more "moderate prices," But I think they should keep the dress code. But if I ever do go, I'd dress up. But now that they are changing it, it kinda loses the mystique of even going there in the first place [huh]
I don't even mind losing the dress code so much as the remodeling. The new sketch looks like a Denny's! Save the banquettes!! I've never eaten there, either, too rich for military salary but it's nice to look at.

Twitch

Mildred I like what you say about womens' shabby attire reflecting their inner selves. I think that goes for guys too. If we have a class of grungy slobs that look like losers they probably classify themselves as loses too with low self esteem and self worth, if not consciously, unconsciously.

StanleyVanBuren

MK said:
The one that takes the cake is when Deckard and I were in London in January and a club wouldn't let him in wearing a tie!

Thankfully I had the opposite experience the last time I was in London when I saw this:

31.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
texasgirl said:
Texasgal, if you get the chance and want to splurge (like a $150 ish bill), go to Perry's in uptown Dallas. Great food and dining experience! The new york strip with bleu cheese on top was phenominal. My aunt gave us a $100 gift certificate and I'm glad she did. It was one of the best dining experiences we have had.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
dress codes are pretentious and un-necessary. I've found that restaurants with dress codes are far inferior to those without . . . trying to be something they're not . . . trying to make up for the flaws of their chefs with high prices and plain, good old fashioned snobbery.

bk

Dress codes would be pretentious and unnecessary if everyone automatically wore clothing appropriate to the venue. The fact that in today's society many people feel they should have the right to wear whatever they want wherever they want makes enforced dress codes necessary. I'd not heard of such situations before, but obviously they work both ways if the tie in one case and nice trousers in another are any indication.

Cheers,
Tom

texasgirl

One Too Many
ITG said:
Texasgal, if you get the chance and want to splurge (like a $150 ish bill), go to Perry's in uptown Dallas. Great food and dining experience! The new york strip with bleu cheese on top was phenominal. My aunt gave us a $100 gift certificate and I'm glad she did. It was one of the best dining experiences we have had.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll add it to my list :)

Twitch

I think the "classy restaurant" topic has a direct parallel with a thread about "loss of occassion" discussing how people no longer dress appropriately for a wedding, funeral, graduation etc.

Seems the same goes for eating out. The grand occassion of eating out is less of a big deal these days. We all know we can get food basically just as good at lower prices in many family or chain restautrants than in a classy place.

While many of us think it's cool to spend a bit more for atmosphere a lot of people figure their money is good anywhere and if they're going to spend more for food then they'll dress like they want. I'm imagining there is some undercurrent of silent, perceived entitlement at work here.

Mimi

New in Town
While on vacation last week, the husband and I dined at a lovely place on the water. Fine food and drink and prices to match.

I wore a silk shantung 50s dress, pumps, matching bag. He wore linen trousers and dress shirt.

The people at the next table wore hooded sweatshirts, cargo shorts and flip flops. Yes, even the female members of the party.

Frankly, this greatly affected our dining experience.

60Years2Late

New in Town
Just a few thoughts:

Ya know, I was reading all of thoses posts, and a couple of them really made me wonder. Here we are in a forum that hails dressing up as the coolest thing since ice cubes, and I see some people that say that classy is defined by jeans.

Jeans have never been, since their inception and even now a "classy" thing. Regardless of how much you get paid, jeans are considered your beater clothes, your work clothes. Jeans can be dirty, torn, or frayed, and they're still jeans. In the Marine Corps, when we go do security, or go out as a unit, or do anything that involves us going anywhere except base, we generally are not permitted to wear jeans. We have to wear khakis and a polo, or a nice collared shirt. If the shirt has tails or is excessively large, it must be tucked in. A belt is required on any pants that have beltloops, with a conservative buckle. THAT is not classy. That is acceptable.
Classy implies that you have class. Remember, clothes make the man. It is your first impression that counts. Regardless of what YOU think of yourself, and no matter what today's society tells you to the contrary, remember that worrying about what people see you as is not focusing on them; it's respecting yourself. You care enough about yourself to make sure nobody grades you as a low-life bum.

Where I was raised, in the South, in the country at that, I had to live by a very conservative set of rules. You see, the biggest adjustment for me in coming to California was not prices, people being rude, the dry air, or the lack of trees. It was the fact that kids didn't respect their elders. If you haven't got respect for your parents, you don't feel proud of your family name, and to me, that is HUGE. When I dress up, or go in public, or interact with people, I think of my parents. Everything I do reflects not only on myself, but on them. Did they raise me right? Am I a good person? Did they teach me manners? If I mess up, it's not just me that messed up, it's them too! People don't think about that these days. If you don't dress up because it's accepted and it's convenient to dress tacky, then remember this. You represent more than just you. Sure, you may be happy with it. Heck, I LOVE to walk around naked, but that doesn't mean I'm going out in public that way. You reflect on your raising, your employer, your friends, and your region. Wrong or right, people think about you in a stereotypical way, and the group everyone you know as being like you. That's just life. It might not be ethical, and it might be wrong, but a phrase that will do you well in life is this, and allow me to embolden and italicize it, so that you will all remember it for the rest of your days.

PERCEPTION IS REALITY

What people see is what people think, and if you're okay with letting them think you're a bum, though you have high enough self confidence not to let it bother you, you also have a very serious lack of personal pride.

Say what you want to the contrary, but that's the truth, no way around it. You know it, I know it, and everybody else knows it. And even if you don't know it, refer to what I stated above. Perception's reality. I perceive that to be true, so in my eyes, you've got no sense of pride or honor, and your poor image reflects poorly on your raising. That's reality. Sorry, but welcome to life.

Sometimes you gotta grow up and think about things from a point of view other than your own. That's what they mean when they say respect to others. Not to those around you, but to those you represent.

OH! And an elaboration on this:
It is not pretentious to enforce a dress code. The dress code is one of the things advertised. Their other patrons paid to eat in such an environment. It is not only their right as an establishment, but their DUTY to their patrons (the ones who followed the rules) to hold you to the same standard. THey follow it, the other patrons follow it. You should to. Don't take it personal. And if you do, tough. That's the way the world works.

CactusJax

Familiar Face
Dallas Casual

I haven't been to The Mansion since Dean left. A few weeks ago we were in Dallas to have dinner with my daughters future in-laws. We stayed at the new Ritz. Even though we booked almost three weeks before our stay we did not score dinner reservations.. We ate in the bar and had room service. Sunday we met some friends that used to live here in the lobby as we checked out. I was dressed to hit the road... Blue jeans... David was dressed similarly. The other couple suggested we have Sunday Brunch. I was worried about our attire... We were seated and found that we were in the majority... Not much church attire was visible...
The night before we ate @ Abaacus. The future father in law & I were both in sport coats... Again we were the minority. Earlier that day @ Neimans Northpark, My wife gets hungry and suggests the Zodiac Room. My first thought was I don't have a jacket... I remember years ago at the downtown Zodiac they had a rack of seersucker jackets one could wear if you were improperly attired...
It was probably 20 years ago when we attended one of my father in-laws plays @ Theater Three,I was the only one in a suit. Several people commented that it's a shame people don't dress for the theater any more... I still do!
Even our country club has changed. It used to be jackets required in ght dining room and grill, day or night. If you were jacketless you could eat in the 19th hole or the bar. A new manager "relaxed" the requirement for a couple of summers. He took a job elsewhere and left during the summer. The dress requirements were never reinstated.
We belong to another club. It's on a large private lake with probably 2500 homes (mostly weekenders) on it. The club is a separate entity from the lake and has a small membership. It is by definition casual. Shorts and collarless shirts have never been allowed in the dining room or grill. It's always been that way. Almost every trip we see people try to get in in shorts or bathing attire. People who have been members for years... They just expect casual. Thank goodness our manager turns them away. Most hop in the boat redress and return....

I'm afraid that It's gone and deteriorating....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ