Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Hats Your Main Interest?

rrog

A-List Customer
Not-Bogart13 said:
Well, most of my other interests are either inconvenient or inexpensive. For example, I enjoy target shooting but there are no ranges nearby. Thus, I haven't fired a shot in almost three years.
Hey man, next time you're down in East TN, let me know. I've got a couple of decent ranges within 20 miles, but I also have an outdoor range (just range bench and targets) that's only a mile from the office. Guess what I get to do during lunch and right after work? Many guys stop off and have a few... I stop off and pop a few! I'd be glad to take you.

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
Hey Akubra Man,
Those are some really nice watches. I'm going to show my wife. Next time she complains about my hobbies, I'm going to show her your watches. Then she'll know I COULD be spending a whole lot more! :)

rrog

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Hats are huge part of my wardrobe and not so much a hobby. I always put one on everytime I step out of the house. Costwise it isn't that much as the most I've spent for a hat is around 50-60 bucks. The bulk of my hobby money goes towards computer modding and paintball gear upgrades.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Like others have said, the hats are a part of a wardrobe hobby that includes jackets (leather or sportcoat), shoes, watches, and trying to assemble them all into something that looks good. I also collect and shoot guns, I am a fan of the 1911 model pistol, but also have various revolvers, rifles, and shotguns to round out my collection.

warbird

One Too Many
1911 Man said:
Like others have said, the hats are a part of a wardrobe hobby that includes jackets (leather or sportcoat), shoes, watches, and trying to assemble them all into something that looks good. I also collect and shoot guns, I am a fan of the 1911 model pistol, but also have various revolvers, rifles, and shotguns to round out my collection.

There are collectors of guns and gun collectors. I am a bit of both. The latter being far more expensive than the former. And once somebody has something of a collection, the next expense is a way protect it all. Vaults are always good. Steel reinforced, thick concrete, humidity and temp controlled vaults. And ammo for it all. And reloading dies for it all. Aargh does it ever end.

I do all manner of hunting requiring all manners of specialized gear. Then sporting clays, then cowboy action shooting, then high power, then defensive pistol courses. Aack....

RedPop4

One Too Many
Eating out, groceries and socializing with our friends, as well as doing things with the kids take up most of our money. Oh, school tuition for two eats a lot of income, and my older one, in seventh grade now, will be more than doubling our tuition bill in a year or so. Hats, well there are a few I'd like, but my bride does not understand the high cost of hats. I do understand, but I'm just not willing to part with the kind of money for great hats. I have a couple really nice hats, and they'll do for now, unless I can find a bargain-basement, rock-bottom price on a good hat.

I'm really into cigars, but I've had SO many friends give me good cigars over the last seven years, that I really don't need to buy any for a long time. Again, I may if the occasion arises, but it's not likely.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
rrog said:
I'm into shooting sports, hunting and reloading (anyone who tells you they really save money by making their own ammo is not truly into shooting/reloading. all it really means is that you can shoot more for the same amount of money!). I'm also into ham radio.
My dad is big into ham radio and does some reloading.

GWD

One Too Many
I collect hobbies

I don't know if I have a sickness but I go from one obsession to the next.

Right now it's hats and vintage clothing. I've been into, R.C. Helicopters, Guitars, Banjos, Japanese Bamboo Flutes, Irish Penny Whistles, Danish Modern Furniture, Astrophysics, Astronomy, Japanese Gardens, Motocross, Four Wheeling, Long Range Precision Shooting, Old Tube Electronics, herpetology, horses, and native American art.

There have been more but you get my point.

The only constant in my life has been golf.

Oh yeah, my wife and two daughters fit in there too!

anon`

One Too Many
Hats for me are a functional thing. Granted, a damn good looking functional thing, and I do collect them because I find them quite cool.

However, in the grand scheme of things I've sunk far more into each other my other serious hobbies (computers, music and living history) than I have into hats, or even vintage stuff in general.

So, no. But give it time. It might catch up if I stop buying swords and music ;)

Winsor

New in Town
Hey Akubra Man-Watch Question

I have a question about your Rolexes:

Generally it seems that the Roman numeral between III (3) and V (5) is IV (4).
BUT, on your Rolex faces that use Roman numerals instead of Arabic numerals the numeral 4 is shown as IIII.
Why is that do you think? I have a similar Rolex.

Take care,
Mark

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
rrog said:
Not-Bogart13 said:
Well, most of my other interests are either inconvenient or inexpensive. For example, I enjoy target shooting but there are no ranges nearby. Thus, I haven't fired a shot in almost three years.
Hey man, next time you're down in East TN, let me know. I've got a couple of decent ranges within 20 miles, but I also have an outdoor range (just range bench and targets) that's only a mile from the office. Guess what I get to do during lunch and right after work? Many guys stop off and have a few... I stop off and pop a few! I'd be glad to take you.

rrog

Now I have two reasons to visit TN! Lucky son of a...

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Winsor said:

BUT, on your Rolex faces that use Roman numerals instead of Arabic numerals the numeral 4 is shown as IIII.
Why is that do you think? I have a similar Rolex.

Take care,
Mark

Hi MArk ..Interesting question and good call on that. I do not know the real answer but have been told the following by other watch people over on timezone.com. It is a standard practice in the watch industry to substitute the IV with IIII when using Roman markers on a dial. It seems to be for aesthetics and nothing more. I have read is that it is done to balance off the VIII on the other side of the dial. IV is smaller in size then VIII so IIII is substituted and dial visual symmetry is achieved. This is the only explanation I have found for this weird practice. It is a very common practice and I have not seen a higher end watch use IV rather than IIII.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Winsor said:

Why is that do you think?...
From the Wikipedia entry on clock faces: "IIII" -rather than "IV"- is often used to mark the fourth hour to achieve symmetry with "VIII."

It's also a common practice on grandfather clocks.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
rrog said:
Hey Akubra Man,
Those are some really nice watches. I'm going to show my wife. Next time she complains about my hobbies, I'm going to show her your watches. Then she'll know I COULD be spending a whole lot more! :)

rrog

Yea .. I have spent a lot on watches over the past 20 years. I used to set aside a certain amount of money every year just for watches. I don't any more. I am not into cars or travel like some people so it was easy to set aside the money I wanted to spend. Also,I have a different attitude toward money .. I just am not into it that much .. I prefer to use it. We do not live an extravagant life in terms our house and our cars and we take simple vacations. We like nice clothes and good food. We enjoy doing things with our children and that is where we spend our funds. My wife is a very special woman and has never said anything about my watch hobby.

I have pretty much gotten to the point where I am happy with what I have. Now I just rotate watches wearing them and enjoying them rather than looking to get something new. The interesting thing I learned is that once I got the all the watches I always dreamed about having for so many years ... it just wasn't as satisfying as I expected it to be. Live and learn.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I guess we all like "stuff".
I collect record albums, knives, guns, DVD's and hats.
I try to limit my hat purchases to maybe 3-4 a year but I've been at it for awhile.
I'm also kind of a hoarder of "memoriabilia" so my wife stays pretty uptight with my various boxes of "stuff". I think she refers to it as "clutter".;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925