Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Hats Your Main Interest?

MCrider

A-List Customer
New hats?

I have spent more money on hats this years than in others, but all it took was to buy a Mustang seat and Santee pipes for my Sportster and I can safely say that it outdistanced hats in cost. :)

And rrog for you I submit this. My wife would every once in a while ask the "what do you need another (gun, hat, motorcycle etc) for? You can only use one of them at a time." After mentioning this one too many times I took the love of my life by the hand and led her to the closet, turned on the light and pointed at her cubby holed shoe rack and whispered lovingly, "how many of those things do you wear at a time?" Since that moment, if a new box shows up at the house, she asks with a smile, "What color is your new hat?"
;)

rrog

A-List Customer
MCrider said:
And rrog for you I submit this. My wife would every once in a while ask the "what do you need another (gun, hat, motorcycle etc) for? You can only use one of them at a time." After mentioning this one too many times I took the love of my life by the hand and led her to the closet, turned on the light and pointed at her cubby holed shoe rack and whispered lovingly, "how many of those things do you wear at a time?" Since that moment, if a new box shows up at the house, she asks with a smile, "What color is your new hat?"
;)

I suppose some of the most genius solutions in life are quite often also the simplest.

rrog

jkingrph

Practically Family
Hats rank way down in terms of dollars and time spent. I'm more of a wearer than a collector, but have acquired a few nice ones over the last few years , fedora and western.
Tops for me for almost all my life has been firearms and reloading. I generally search out nicer models, mostly older but not always in fact have a few of the Winchester reproductions which are not cheap. I do have a few rather pristine military models, all collectable as well as shooters, including one Swiss model of 1871 that is in as good a condition as some that are very new. I did have to convert to centerfire from rimfire and reform my cases from another in order to shoot it.

There are some very fine old double barrel shotguns and rifles out there but generally are out of my price range. I just missed an excellent old Dutch Beaumont rifle, pre WWI today at a gun show, I saw it and went back to find it gone in just a few minutes, but that's the game.

I also at times dig into woodworking and have a rather nice shop, more than I need but at times am glad I have it.

rrog

A-List Customer
jkingrph, I think we'd get along okay. I don't have a lot of collector grade firearms, but I do have some shooters! We had a fundraiser at church tonight and someone donated a grade 4 Browning 28 gauge shotgun. It went for $3K. That's a lot, but it's still below retail on the thing. One of my buddies had a buddy who wanted it and had asked him to have someone bid for him, up to $2,900. So my buddy asked me to do the proxy bidding. Even though it wasn't for me, it felt pretty good to be bidding on such a gun. But even at that, I/my proxy bidder lost the bid.

I've also done some wood working through the years. Most of my stuff has been simple shelves, spice racks and things like that. Mostly things I can do with a router.

rrog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925