Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any universally liked actors/actresses?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LadyStardust said:
Never heard a bad word against Helen Mirren.:)

I couldn't agree more, Helen Mirren is a fantastic woman. I recently saw an interview of her and remember thinking to myself "Now there's a Hollywood star, why can't others be more like her"? She came across as very down to earth, friendly, not wrapped up in her fame, and incredibly caring for her family and those she loves.

I also agree with a lot of others that have been brought up. Fred Astaire, definitely. Has anybody mentioned good ol Frank Sinatra?? He was top notch, IMO. Carey Grant, Bogart, Gable, all loved in my book.
Then for ladies, Myrna Loy. Also Claudet Colbert and Irene Dunn..

For modern stars I really like Rachel McAdams. Ok maybe it's because I love "The Notebook". But, she's one of the few young female actors that keeps her private life private. She doesn't go out on the town and intentionally draw attention to herself and make a fool of herself. She might not be the most talented actress, but that also might have to do with the lack of good scripts. I just like her. Natalie Dormer is another star I like, as well as both Kate Beckinsale and Cate Blanchett.

I'm also a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio. I don't know if this is because I like "The Aviator" so much, but, he's done a lot of pretty good works. I'm not really up to date on what's going on with who in Hollywoodland. But, I haven't heard anything astonishing or astounding about him. He seems to be getting a bit better with age. Well at least to other actors. It seems like actors today don't have the staying power of actors of yesterday. That is why we really notice a great performance. Think of Leo in "Catch Me If You Can". I thought he was really great in that film...

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
My very favorite actor of alltime was Alec Guiness, don't know if anyone disliked him in the other thread. I wouldn't care, I loved Alec Guiness.

Loved a lot of the character actors, too, of the Golden Era: Ethel Barrymore, Lionel Barrymore, Jane Darwell, John Carradine, Hattie McDaniel, Edna Mae Oliver, Ethel Waters, Sidney Greenstreet, Dame Edith Evans, Sir Ralph Richardson, Walter Brennan, Ward Bond, Katy Jurado, and I could go on and on. I think many of them were as beloved as the stars.

My favorite actress at one time was Irene Pappas, who did so many wonderful Greek films and played small and large parts in other films. Rent Electra or Antigone or Iphegenia in Aulis. I am sure there are probably people who don't like her style, maybe too mournful, too dramatic, but the woman cut her teeth on Greek Tragedy.

karol

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
My very favorite actor of alltime was Alec Guiness, don't know if anyone disliked him in the other thread. I wouldn't care, I loved Alec Guiness.

Loved a lot of the character actors, too, of the Golden Era: Ethel Barrymore, Lionel Barrymore, Jane Darwell, John Carradine, Hattie McDaniel, Edna Mae Oliver, Ethel Waters, Sidney Greenstreet, Dame Edith Evans, Sir Ralph Richardson, Walter Brennan, Ward Bond, Katy Jurado, and I could go on and on. I think many of them were as beloved as the stars.

My favorite actress at one time was Irene Pappas, who did so many wonderful Greek films and played small and large parts in other films. Rent Electra or Antigone or Iphegenia in Aulis. I am sure there are probably people who don't like her style, maybe too mournful, too dramatic, but the woman cut her teeth on Greek Tragedy.

karol

:eusa_clap I also remember and loved a lot of the character actors!
It really is an inexcusable that MPAA does not recognize and acknowledge their considerable contributions to the art of film.

Sunny

One Too Many
Yes! James Cagney! And Elisha Cook, Jr.

And Frank McHugh.

How about Danny Kaye?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I forgot to add a few. I can't believe I forgot William Powell, he was definitely a star! Then Gene Kelly, Spencer Tracy, oh and I can't believe I forgot Peter O'Toole, what a doll!!! He's still going strong too and coming out in a movie this summer. Joseph Cotton is also another great.
Katherine Hepburn goes on my list as well. She was really something:)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Can't believe I forgot her, AND that she hasn't been mentioned yet! :eek:

Lillian Gish!
Gish137.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This is an interesting discussion (tho obviously there are a lot of folks in the lounge with time on their hands. I love these idle debates). Anyhow, the issue of whether these individuals are UNIVERSALLY admired is fun.
There are a lot of individuals already mentioned who I will not include, but here is my list (plus a few comments):
Irene Dunn
Greer Garson
Rex Harrison - great star, total cad as a person (check out Night Train to Munich)
Jack Benny - gotta love him, but not a great movie star (Buck Benny Rides Again???)
Astaire - my mother always referred to him as cadaverous, but I love him
Tex Ritter!
Danny Kaye!
Stan and Ollie!
Rudolph Valentino
Lon Chaney, Sr.
Carole Lombard
William Powell! my favorite Hollywood moustache
Myrna Loy
Edmund Gwenn - hey, ya gotta love Santa Claus!
Boris Karloff
Razzle Bathroom . . . err, I mean Basil Rathbone
Charles Laughton
Ralph Richardson
Dirk Bogarde
Frederick March
Frank Morgan - "Pay no attention . . . !"
and many others . . .

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another who ought to be on the list is Harold Lloyd -- in his day he was the most popular silent comedian on the screen, consistently out-drawing Keaton and Chaplin at the box office, and he kept his private life strictly on the straight-and-narrow. After he retired from the screen, he devoted himself to charity works, and was extremely well-respected in and out of show business.

Rafter

Suspended
Jimmy Stewart
Spencer Tracy
Gregory Peck
William Holden
Cary Grant
Kirk Douglas
Robert Mitchum

Deborah Kerr
Maureen O'Hara
Jennifer Jones