Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these lines (scars?) natural to the leather?

mippo

New in Town
I was just browsing the internet and found this. The surface of this leather jacket got me curious. Under the two chest zippers there are many lines/scars. Are those supposed to be scars that existed on the animal's hide before it became leather? Or is it something that happens over time as the leather jacket is worn and ages?

Jacket.jpg

Observe

One Too Many
Differing grain tension in the panels, along with the way the leather drapes. The effect becomes more pronounced with age.

mippo

New in Town
Differing grain tension in the panels, along with the way the leather drapes. The effect becomes more pronounced with age.
When you say "grain tension" do you mean something like when the jacket is zipped up and the wearer sits down which causes the belly to push on the jacket and stretch it out?

Observe

One Too Many
When you say "grain tension" do you mean something like when the jacket is zipped up and the wearer sits down which causes the belly to push on the jacket and stretch it out?
More like how fine or coarse the "break" of the grain is. The grain can vary depending on the characteristics of the hide, like where it was cut from the animal. I don't think what you see on this jacket is anything to worry about. Maybe someone else here can explain it better than me.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Leather tanning is the process of converting cleaned, perishable raw hides or skins into leather to preserve their natural beauty and inherent characteristics. The most common methods of tanning are Chromium and Vegetable Tanning. Chromium-Tanning is the most prevalent form of tanning.

Chrome-tanned leather is tanned using chromium salts. It is softer and more supple than vegetable-tanned leather and does not discolour or lose shape as drastically in water as vegetable-tanned leather. Chromium-tanned hides are also more receptive to colour.

Vegetable-tanned leather is tanned using tannin and other natural ingredients found in trees and plants. The result is leather that has greater body and firmness than chromium-tanned leather.

Hides are often treated several times during the tanning process with agents that will enhance the leather’s physical strength and ensure various characteristics desired in the end result. This is known as Re-tanning. Many leathers undergo a re-tanning process using chrome tanning agents or a combination of both chrome and vegetable tanning agents prior to being dyed and finished.

That is why leather, and therefore products made with leather, have such a range of prices. The better the leather has been tanned, the better the end product will be.

You can see the ripple effect much better on furniture where the leather is pulled and held taught. When you get a chance, have a look at a motor bike saddle or the leather seats in a car. The leather on furniture gets worn down from the outside yet most retain their like new appearance, well perhaps not quite as good as a Rolls Royce motor car.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
you can clearly see a shovel shaped outline around the affected part, so I don't know, to me it looks processed, to me it looks like burnt or charred mark either accidentally or intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner