Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are We Not Male?

varga49

One of the Regulars
Biltmore Bob said:
Right after HS I went into the Marines. Right after that I became a cop and a daddy. Right after that I became a Christian and had a couple more kids. I teach my boy to act like a man and treat women like ladies.

I hate modern modern culture and counter culture. I hate the effeminization of America. I tell my boy to defend himself in school (girls too for that matter). I say what I mean and mean what I say, I get in trouble all the time for it. I usually say what everybody else is thinking, however.

DITTO Bob....Where I live the effeminization of men does not exist to any noticeable level. I have the good fortune of having a good many REAL friends, with whom a handshake is as good as gold. When you shake a mans hand and look into his eyes, common practice around here, you can tell all you need to know about him. I speak my piece as needed. Fortunately I don't have to set many folks straight these days. For several years, as my second carreer I worked with at risk and/or gang kids in a locked facility, where the social restructuring of many a young man took place. Not easy work, but good work, when a young man gets to go home and tells you, " I hated you for a long time but I was stupid then..Thanks"
For what it's worth I raised my son to respect himself first, his parents next, his elders, kids smaller than him, and everyone else that shows equal respect, in that order! and since I'm now on my soapbox..He's out of the Army now after two tours in Iraq with the 5th special forces group! I'm proud of they way he carries himself. He's become a "man"

varga49

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
I liked Mike Nesmith too and I think it was 'The Monkees'
So... you never liked Devo then?

B
T
Oh Sure!...loved those flower pot hats! Their music then referred to by some as cutting edge, was interesting...! At the time Devo came to the music scene, and if my memory serves me correctly I was more or less listening to The likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Paul Ray and the Cobras at the Armadillo World Headquarters, in Austin

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I think the high point of masculinity was the Victorian and Edwardian eras.

The problem with our current society is that there is no social heirarchy or set of rules or manners. The idea of the "gentleman" has been diluted to such an extent that the term is meaningless now.

Gentlemen/ladies were people who had a certain standing based not so much on their financial position as their manners, dress, speech and etiquette.

People who lacked those things were not ladies or gentlemen. Today we use the term gentleman to describe a guy in cut-off jeans and wife-beater who is wearing his ballcap indoors.

The sad thing is that most males don't want to me men, much less gentlemen.

shamus

Suspended
Sefton said:
Role models:

NOW: Brad Pitt and Keanu Reeves
THEN: John Wayne and Gary Cooper

I'll take 'Coop and The Duke anyday of the week!

Not to quote the manly man of all men Mr. T, but I pitty the fool who thinks that Keanu Reeves is a manly role model!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Maybe we've talked about it before, or maybe I read about it somewhere, but today's male movie star "role models" (yes, those are facetious quotation marks) are more effeminate, more sensitive, and far less masculine than in years past. Even the action stars twenty years ago were more masculine. What gives? It's the sissification of America.

Brad

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
It begins in school...

They don't want boys to be boys. Teachers would rather teach girls, they are easier to handle in the classroom. Boys are taught not to defend themselves or even play fight or wrestle at recess. Bullies don't get their asses kicked anymore either for that matter. When I was a kid bullies didn't have a chance. The gang would get together and give the miscreant an ultimatum and then beat the crap out of him if he didn't straighten up. Try doing that these days.

We used to play Smear the Queer at recess. Remember that one? Can't do that now I bet. Dodge Ball...I don't think so, pardner.

From an anthropological standpoint, it is generally believed that women control what is perceived as a man. Many women do not realize how much power they actually have over men. We will do whatever is necessary to be thought of as men and eligible to the objects of our affections.
The feminist movement actually created "men" the way they are now. When it was first really big women scoffed at having a door opened for them as being demeaning ands suggesting that they could not do it themselves. This went for several other chivalrous actions as well. Then came the term chivalry is dead. Of course it was dead when it was not demanded by women who instead of demanding to be treated right wanted to be treated like your bar buddies.
Fortunately, I see the pendulum swinging the other way with women being more demanding of men. My wife reminds me if I forget to open a door or some such thing. Sometimes we need to be reminded or we become sloppy and forget.
Women, do not ever forget that you are treated as you expect to be treated. Do not lower your standards for anyone. Fathers, remember to teach this to your daughters because their friends are likely to ignore it and get taken advantage of and expect to be. A civilized society tends to benefit from expecting more.

Regards to all,

J

jdjs

Familiar Face
Biltmore Bob said:
They don't want boys to be boys. Teachers would rather teach girls, they are easier to handle in the classroom.

While I do agree with much of the rest of your opinions, this line really irks me (yep, I teach high school). Just as the boys aren't boys in the same view, the girls are not girls. I have had to deal with both boys only and girls only classes (a pilot experiment) that convinced me that girls are infinitely nastier. Guys tend to speak their mind or shut their mouths; the girls can be petty, nasty and downright mean.

While this is only opinion, students who have parents (the type that take an interactive roll with their kids) are much easier to deal with; students with guardians (parents who think that cash, guilt gifts and no discipline) are the problem. I would rather have a class of a hundred parented kids than one of ten entrusted one.

The lack of gender is part of the political correctness movement (sit on a textbook committee - we spent days counting how many math problems featuring men, how many were women based, and then gender bias based on what the character was doing - the math part was totally ignored). In my media arts course, we regularily deal with this topic and it is amazing what the "kids" actually think, especially in looking at classic media in comparison to day. As one student said, why don't we just dress everyone in beige?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I'm talking about elementary age kids. I do believe and have been told by teacher friends that girls this age are more focused and academic. While boys are more restless and easily distracted. I have three kids, two girls and one boy...my girls are entirely more focused and more easily taught.

Smear the Queer is played by tossing a ball up in the air in the middle of a group of boys. When the ball comes down, one boy catches it and becomes the "Queer" and has to run for his life. The rest of the gang chases and attacks the "Queer", retrieving the ball and the game starts all over. I understand that there are regional variations. I don't think a ball is used in the San Fransico area ;) As a matter of fact I think the game is called "Smear the Strait".

shamus

Suspended
Biltmore Bob said:
Smear the Queer is played by tossing a ball up in the air in the middle of a group of boys. When the ball comes down, one boy catches it and becomes the "Queer" and has to run for his life. The rest of the gang chases and attacks the "Queer", retrieving the ball and the game starts all over. I understand that there are regional variations. I don't think a ball is used in the San Fransico area ;) As a matter of fact I think the game is called "Smear the Strait".

And you enjoyed this game as a kid?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
As much as Dodge Ball and Kick Ball, Shamus.

You had to be there I reckon. One of the benifits of growing up Southern.

Soooo, BT....just what do you mean concerning evolution? From what I understand evolutionist believe that species develop/evolve into a higher form of life. Are you saying that the emasculation/effeminization of men by society is evolution and is actually better for the species?

Or, is this phenomenom some sort of lateral evolution? Where men are adapting to societal demands.

Sorry, I prefer to be a Neanderthal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn