Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ever tired of explaining why you live or dress the way you do?

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Wow... Talk about really narrow point of views.
Dressing like a Man does not make you "gay". It makes you more masculine.
Start shaving with a straight razor and see if she thinks the same.
I actually have homosexual friends and I dress alot better and timeless then they do HA!
one wears neon colored shirts and shorts with sandals the other wears jean on jean

http://www.artofmanliness.com/ <<< funny but true site on The lost art of Manliness

Definitely agree. I already shave with a safety razor. Still working up the nerve to try a straight. :D

I love that site. There recent article on 38 conversation rules is superb.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I was once at a social event and a guy came up to me and said " aren't you a little overdressed for this occasion and I
coolly and calmy said to him ,"no not really ,the rest of you "gentlemen " are underdressed" at which point he stated " you know I never thought of it like that ,I guess your right " LOL !

I must agree with Damian M. never apologize for the way you are dressed!

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Stewart Field

New in Town
I rarely get any comments from strangers when I sport a fedora, pocket square or trench coat, though some throw me a glance or two. I avoid loud ties or a carnation in my lapel so I don't scream for attention. On account of the wider lapels on my suit I was once asked if I was '70s retro. I explained the suit in question was inspired and created in the '40's. My biggest critics are my coworkers as they love to make reference to "Inspector Gadget". Hmmm!

DamianM

Vendor
I rarely get any comments from strangers when I sport a fedora, pocket square or trench coat, though some throw me a glance or two. I avoid loud ties or a carnation in my lapel so I don't scream for attention. On account of the wider lapels on my suit I was once asked if I was '70s retro. I explained the suit in question was inspired and created in the '40's. My biggest critics are my coworkers as they love to make reference to "Inspector Gadget". Hmmm!

Sorry to hear about the 70s retro thing and inspector gadget. But sadly the only fools are the commenters. Thats all pop culture has thought them

Edward

Bartender
Nope,I don`t dress like I am living in the past,

That kind of does make you stick out round here.... ;)

The seventies thing doesn't bother me - it's just most folks' point of reference for wide lapels now. NHNF, in my book. For the most part, anyhow. As long as they don't mention Travolta. Gadget.... the first time I heard that I thought it was hilarious because it came from a kid I thought was far too young to remember that show. I heard there was a film more recently, though? It's now the comedy shout of choice in Belfast, but that's a place riddled with morons who comprehend nothing other than mindless, tribal conformity (hence the political issues of the past forty years). There's a certain type of imbecile who, if they didn't resort to some nonsensical catcalling, would make me worry I was doing something wrong. I don't need their acceptance.

brokepainter

New in Town
I get comments about me wearing a flat cap. "That's a old man hat." or "Are you going to play golf?". Which is funny because they wear a baseball cap, I guess they are going to go play in a ball game. I don't let it bother me because I finally arrived to the point in my life if I like it I don't care what other people think of it.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Oh, sometimes people can be truly cruel!

I think that need to blend in keeps me from going all out a lot of the time. Most of the time I at least keep some part of me vintage inspired- whether it's my hair or my make-up. Usually the comments are nice but especially my family doesn't seem to understand it!

Lots of, "You must be sexually frustrated, why else would your lips always be red?" from the family while strangers tend to be more along the lines of calling me glamorous.

But then again, I don't want to complain. Surely I'd rather be noticed for a fun and exciting hobby than to always blend in as a wallflower? However, I do think that sometimes when at parties people, especially women, avoid me because the way I dress makes me appear a tad stand offish and unapproachable! I suppose that's the opposite problem...

wahine

Practically Family
I think that need to blend in keeps me from going all out a lot of the time. Most of the time I at least keep some part of me vintage inspired- whether it's my hair or my make-up.
I do it the same way, since I'm just not every day in the mood to be stared at. A fifties dress with a small petticoat is okay, but when it comes to sassier stuff like gloves, I'm usually chicken and leave them at home.

Usually the comments are nice but especially my family doesn't seem to understand it!
Lots of, "You must be sexually frustrated, why else would your lips always be red?" from the family
:eeek: That is very rude, how do you react when someone makes a thoughtless comment like that?

I'd rather be noticed for a fun and exciting hobby than to always blend in as a wallflower?
That's a great way to think of it, I will keep it in mind to feel better the next time someone criticises my outfit in a negative way.

I sometimes get comments like "you look so old in this" or "you look like my grandmother" - it's tiring to explain that on the contrary my outfit really is 'younger' than I am (I often wear sort of a fifties teenager look although I'm in my mid thirties).
Also, I often feel like a teacher when I try to explain smth like that.
So I usually leave it at "well, I like it that way." (and think to myself: when I look at the young girls these days, it's quite a compliment to look like anyones grandmother)
*shrug*

Flicka

One Too Many
I have to say people very rarely comment and when they do, it's almost always nice things. Like, a while back a neighbour stopped me and said "You always look so smart! I've been noticing you and I just wanted to tell you." A woman at work I never spoke with before with hailed me by the coffee machine told me she loved my style. that sort of thing happens quite often. I never had anyone be rude about it, in fact. And although I sometimes sense that people are really curious, they're far too polite to actually come out and ask "how do you?" or "why do you?".

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
I do it the same way, since I'm just not every day in the mood to be stared at. A fifties dress with a small petticoat is okay, but when it comes to sassier stuff like gloves, I'm usually chicken and leave them at home.

:eeek: That is very rude, how do you react when someone makes a thoughtless comment like that?

That's a great way to think of it, I will keep it in mind to feel better the next time someone criticises my outfit in a negative way.

I sometimes get comments like "you look so old in this" or "you look like my grandmother" - it's tiring to explain that on the contrary my outfit really is 'younger' than I am (I often wear sort of a fifties teenager look although I'm in my mid thirties).
Also, I often feel like a teacher when I try to explain smth like that.
So I usually leave it at "well, I like it that way." (and think to myself: when I look at the young girls these days, it's quite a compliment to look like anyones grandmother)
*shrug*

Whenever I get the grandmother comment I say my thanks because "my grandmother was is one hell of a woman!"

As for the sexual frustration comments, I rarely know what to say. I like to think that being comfortable wearing bold red lips and the likes actually signals a certain comfort with sexuality, but who knows!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner