Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are You Into Chains?

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
I kinda like having gold on my neck, although not too gaudy or massive like some "drug kingpin" look. About 4 to 5mm width would do it for me.
So I got me an 18K curb link chain at 20" length (5.2mm width; 17.8 grams). Nothin' to boast about (just one of my favorite accessory besides wearing a wristwatch) ... gives you a good feeling :eek:
So what chains have you all got? Do you wear them everyday? I know I'll do.

curblinkchain.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I kinda like having gold on my neck, although not too gaudy or massive like some "drug kingpin" look. About 4 to 5mm width would do it for me.
So I got me an 18K curb link chain at 20" length (5.2mm width; 17.8 grams). Nothin' to boast about (just one of my favorite accessory besides wearing a wristwatch) ... gives you a good feeling :eek:
So what chains have you all got? Do you wear them everyday? I know I'll do.

curblinkchain.jpg

With some modifications, that would make a very nice pocket watch chain......

Edward

Bartender
When I was a kid I wore a few cheap necklaces, mainly of a type that had silver-toned metal bits on a leather or coton-bootlace type thong. These were very popular among the metal kids (and considered by our parents as effeminate, in the same way as growing out our hair). I recall various crosses (mine were never inverted, though that form of rebellion was popular with some), Celtic crosses; for a while I had what would be regarded in the US, and to an extent here too now, given pop culture influence, a "peace symbol", though back then it was primarily understood over here to be a reference to CND, of which I wa a paying member (until my mother bullied me out owing to some nonsense conspiracy theory some idiot colleague who liked the sound of his own voice told her - same old, same old - "your name goes on a list and you never get a job". I was fifteen, and growing up in middle class, Protestant Northern Ireland, where Going to University and Future Job Prospects are all anoyone seemed to care about a lot of the time). I vaguely recall wearing a bullet on a cheap chain for a while. I've got no idea what possessed me to do that. These days, I have a solid silver chain with a simple, plain cross on it. This was a present from my parents when I was twenty-four, and still is regularly worn now, sixteen years later. I like the feel of it on my neck, but it's always worn tucked into a shirt/undershirt - it's not something I wear 'for show'. Quite keen on goldtone jewellery otherwise, but I've never cared for gold necklaces.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I wore a very modest silver chain that my sister gave me in my twenties (in the 70s), and a somewhat bigger gold one that my ex gave me through my coupled/married years (the 80s and 90s). When we split, I took it - and the wedding ring - off, and I haven't worn any jewelry since.

Elaine: "Which one is the Green Lantern?"
Jerry: "You know: green outfit, power ring."
Elaine (dismissively): "I don't care for jewelry on men."

I wore puka shells (the real ones) in the late 70s/early 80s. Of course, I actually lived near the beach...

A few months ago my wife and I were visiting my old stomping grounds near the beach, and she noticed a couple of young meatheads wearing the bleach white plastic variety. She said if she ever caught me wearing them, she'd throw me off the pier. I didn't have the heart to tell her I wore them back in the day.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Only chain I have worn was the one my Dog Tags were on when I was in the army. I can wear a tie all day with no problems but something around my neck like a chain drives me bonkers. All I wear now is watch, wedding ring, Art Deco Masonic ring (semi-regular basis) and exact replica of my Grandfather's WWII ID bracelet (using his chain actually) with my info on it.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Oh, that's a thing I wore at a time, dog tags.... back in the eighties, they were very fashionable among kids of the metal set. We had no real cultural resonance with Vietnam in and of itself, but it was selling as a sexy, cinematic, "unreal" war.... this was the time when it was a fashionable subject in Hollywood, and a whole slew of Vietnam pictures came out. The main army surplus place in Belfast had an original Nam era stamping machine, and they'd stamp up dogtags with whatever you wanted on them. I had a pair with name, DOB and blood group on them, which I later wore in a school production of South Pacific in my final year. (I played Captain Brackett.) Still got those somewhere.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear a chain with a medalion of Saint Mary that my wife (a Hindu) got me when we visited Chartres Cathedral a few years back. I only wear it inside my shirt. Anything else is, for me, a bit too Bob Guccione.

skydog757

A-List Customer
I had a cross on a chain that I wore daily for years, but always under my shirt or t-shirt. A gift from my Mother. In the Air Fore I wore my tags all of the time. I got into the habit of wearing certain smaller keys on the same chain as I would tend to misplace them back in those days.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
When I was a child, my parents gave me a gold chain necklace. But I found it so uncomfortable (I absolutely CANNOT STAND cold metal against my skin) that I hardly ever wore it.

I still have the chain, I just never put it on.

eb7496f99b588c69a56734265fcccbb8.jpg

Oooohhhh yyeeeeaahhhh!!!!!

Actually, not so much. I do have a leather necklace with a hoodoo gator foot charm on it that I got down in New Orleans that I wear for special occasions. Back in middle school I had a silver one with a little R2D2 on it.
I'm o.k. with chains though, and folks who wear 'em.

The only chains I ever wore were usually clipped onto a pocket watch (usually vintage). Often the other end would have a genuine USA half-cent on it in another vest pocket. I would often say that as long as I had the one half cent, I was never completely broke.
W2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner