Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Argyle Socks

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I was at a convention last week. Wore my usual Khakis, button down oxford, and saddle oxfords. While sitting in a meeting with my leg crossed across my knee, an inordinant number of people that walked by commented on my argyle (khaki, with blue and white squares) socks. Saying something like you know... I should have known that's what you'd wear...

Ok, is there some personality defect with Argyle socks??? Any thoughts??? :)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
There are no defects with argyle socks. At the risk of sounding needy* or smug*, though, I think there may be some defects with those making the comment.

*See thread on stupid comments.

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
Maybe they were trying to say that, given your outfit that day, your argyle socks went well with what you were wearing.

Or maybe they just had a foot fetish and wanted an excuse to look at your feet. I don't know. Just what kind of a "convention" was this, anyway?

Tony

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Atinkerer said:
Maybe they were trying to say that, given your outfit that day, your argyle socks went well with what you were wearing.
Tony

I agree. I have people say similar things concerning my hats. I never think of them as derogatory, considering that such comments are usually said with a genuine smile and in kind context.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Ah, not to worry, I didn't get all depressed, I actually took it as rather complementary. I see so many in business these days trying to "casualize" their attire.

Nope, I like my argyle socks, and the rest of my "style", so I won't change it, nor will I worry about the comments.

Thanks,,,

Talbot

One Too Many
Funny...

I was thinking about getting some more argyle socks just yesterday.

Burlington used to make some excellent ones. Can anyone suggest a good source?

T

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I enjoy the use of argyle socks, they liven up your ankels and calfs a bit.

This discussion reminds me of a story. My mother and step father were traveling through Spain some years ago and had stopped to see a beautiful gothic cathedral. My mother was staring at all the statuary and the following conversation took place:

Mom: they are so amazing.
Stepdad: What are?
M: the argyles.
S: ... the what?
M: the argyles!
S: Linda, where is there arygle on this church?
M: What do you mean, they're all over it! The stone monsters.
S: ... Linda, those are called gargoyles.
M: ... oh.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I just happened to pick up another pair of the old argyles today, mustard, blue, lemon and red on a brown background. I'm very chuffed.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Argyle socks do work well when matching items but making it interesting, I've got a set of blue and a set of green pair that I really dig wearing with my blue or green shirts.

What's the history of argyle anyway?

Highlander

A-List Customer
Yep, last weekend I was at Macy's and bought four new pair (three in khaki as they were on sale in threes), and one nice pair of Gold Toe in Blue. I think I am going to gravitate back to Argyles for every day work/dress wear (i'll wear something different with a suit most likely).

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Love argyle socks. That said, I don't have a lot of them. Most of my OTC socks are black Gold Toe socks, because they're so darn affordable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran