Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Armstrong hat.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I believe Mr. Satchmo is wearing a wide-brimmed fedora, shaped in porkpie, light color, light felt, dark band, could be almost anything.
Judging from his age, this photo looks like it would be from the late 40s or early 50s ... so this could be a Champ, Dobbs, Knox, local brands ... you know, the sky's the limit.
I'm sure it was a very nice hat.
You could accomplish the look with a really nice fur-felt fedora, say 2.5 inch brim, turned up, and a 5.5 inch crown, shaped porkpie.
Good luck

Sam

carldelo

One Too Many
Louis looks to be wearing a snap-brim hat backwards in that photo. I seem to remember seeing him wear a hat backwards in another photo (or maybe I am misremembering this one). Here's the photo linked to directly:

lois-armstrong.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
I think he's wearing the same hat here in the opening clip...

Yep, that's the one I remember - fantastic movie. I think you're right, the tie and suit look the same, the photo is probably a publicity still for the film. I think I see a bow or pugaree attachment on the wrong side of the hat, which is what made me think he's wearing his lid backwards.

PS Blackjack, thanks for posting this clip, I'm happy I remembered correctly, which is saying something after the day I've had....

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I think I see a bow or pugaree attachment on the wrong side of the hat, which is what made me think he's wearing his lid backwards.

I agree. I thot for a split second that I saw the bow on the wrong side in that video clip. Plus the brim seems flatter in back than it does in front also making me think he's wearing backwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy