Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Army officer's pink pants...cotton or wool...?

Feraud

Bartender
Fellas,
How do the Wested 'Indy' pants fall into the category? Are they authentic style/material officer's pinks? They are 100% wool, unlined, button fly.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Feraud - now you have my questioner sparked

Which hide is that jacket?
Are the pants high waisted? Snug? Loose? Drapey? Hot? Breathable?

Just askin'

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
Which hide is that jacket?
Are the pants high waisted? Snug? Loose? Drapey? Hot? Breathable?

Just askin'
The jacket is a Wested lambskin in authentic brown.
The pant rise feels a bit higher than 'everyday' pants. They are a straight style fit with a nice drape. They are 100% wool but not uncomfortably hot.

Feraud

Bartender
Paddy, the bag is a WPG(What Price Glory) repro MK VII gas mask bag. It is approx. $40.00 USD.

For a better look, see here.

Btw, it is a nice bag. Rugged enough for daily use. Stylish too. ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The problems with Limey talk....bags are trousers!!!

That little stretch of pond between GB and the American colonies is that the language over the years has drifted apart a little bit!! as US serviceman probably discovered 60+ years ago when they came over to our little islands!!

When I mentioned about the BAGS and where you got them and how much, well, I was referring to the TROUSERS and not the bag!! confusing isn't it?!! haha!! I'm sure you have your own sayings that differ according to which part of the US you live (it's a big place!!). Sorry for confusing things, so THE BAGS I was interested in are actually THE TROUSERS/PANTS!! LoL!!! :cheers1: Hey, even English can be a funny ol' language at times. I can't help it if I speak the Queen's English!!! (with an Irish brogue, of course, ....BTW...brogue is the sound, not the English shoes!!! mmmm!! confusing or what!!).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ah... thanks!

Feraud said:
The jacket is a Wested lambskin in authentic brown.
The pant rise feels a bit higher than 'everyday' pants. They are a straight style fit with a nice drape. They are 100% wool but not uncomfortably hot.
Still debating a wested for myself. Yours is great. Some seem so... soo.. BROWN.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Scot.

Appreciate the link. Wested don't give too much away on dimensions, how baggy/or not, they are...etc. Not sure if this is a stitch-for-stitch rendition of the US Army officer's pink pants (does that sound as camp to you as it does to me? LoL..!!).

Feraud

Bartender
PADDY said:
When I mentioned about the BAGS and where you got them and how much, well, I was referring to the TROUSERS and not the bag!! confusing isn't it?!! haha!!
Oops! Sorry about that. :D :D Thanks for the explanation Paddy!! scotrace is correct, I got these bags(I am learning ;) ) from the Wested site he listed.

Regarding the dimension/construction of them, I could post better pictures to give an idea of how they are put together.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Jacket

Zach R. said:
Are you talking about the pants or the jacket here?

But... I know I'm probably asking for something that doesn't exist: A Wested "Indy" jacket that is leaning just a bit more toward a russet color. I have a brown leather jacket (it's very brown. Not chocolate, not burnished bridle, not warm mocha. Brown. Bleh) and I'd like something less... well, BROWN.
Someday, a nice russet horse A-2. But the Indy jacket is a whole nuther animal.

Feraud

Bartender
I think wool is correct. I could be wrong tho'.

As Paddy pointed out Aero Leather is an option. The look great but too steep for my budget. Wested makes their Indy jacket in horsehide. I have read comments regarding the color and think they lean towards the russet color you seek. I hear tell that horse makes a great jacket.
Wested could send you a horsehide sample.

Hondo

One Too Many
Lets be honest and comfortable, the seasons or weather wise (ladies you know this as fashion) go with pinks in late spring and summer, wool in fall and winter. If you wore wool in summer, you would be sweat’n with the oldies on a hot day. I enjoy wool myself but not to the point of being all wet!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I cannot imagine wool pinks being worn all the time...

...on a posting to England in 1943, when some of the hot days would sweat the b*llocks off a guy! So I'm assuming that they must have worn a cotton alternative. I also hold up my hand to heart and realise (and pics confirm this) that any photos I see of officers in the UK they are wearing wool pinks with their dress jackets (No2's as the Brits would call them) or their Ikes or A-2s. But cotton is so much more comfortable. Mmmmm, this is a dilemma. I wore my cotton pinks (Dockers!! I know, I know!!!) to the Duxford Show last year (where I met BT and a few of the guys) and they were just right, but BT, REMEMBER THAT HOT DAY..? well wool pinks would have had me cooking on a day like that. So, I'm wondering, is it worth splashing out on a pair of wool pinks when you are limited to when you can wear them..?
So are we saying that cotton pinks were just not worn in the ETO (UK) and to be authentic only the wool would be the true option..? Have I been such a fraud all this time in my cottons then? If so, then do I need to go for the wool...? (as that seems such an itchy, sweaty, uncomfortable option!! LoL..!)
BT, I was wearing an original chocolate officer's shirt that day at Duxford (chocolate = dark green, for those getting confused! lol) and I was cooking in it like a turkey at Xmas!!! so to wear the wool pants, well, I'd be suffering for authenticity!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy