Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Army officer's pink pants...cotton or wool...?

Feraud

Bartender
I would (and do) suffer with the wool! It can be uncomfortable in warm weather but if I am going for a look I go all the way!

Didn't Billy Crystal do a skit on Saturday Night Live and joke, "it is better to look good than to feel good". :)

Hondo

One Too Many
PADDY said:
...on a posting to England in 1943, when some of the hot days would sweat the b*llocks off a guy! So I'm assuming that they must have worn a cotton alternative. I also hold up my hand to heart and realise (and pics confirm this) that any photos I see of officers in the UK they are wearing wool pinks with their dress jackets (No2's as the Brits would call them) or their Ikes or A-2s. But cotton is so much more comfortable. Mmmmm, this is a dilemma. I wore my cotton pinks (Dockers!! I know, I know!!!) to the Duxford Show last year (where I met BT and a few of the guys) and they were just right, but BT, REMEMBER THAT HOT DAY..? well wool pinks would have had me cooking on a day like that. So, I'm wondering, is it worth splashing out on a pair of wool pinks when you are limited to when you can wear them..?
So are we saying that cotton pinks were just not worn in the ETO (UK) and to be authentic only the wool would be the true option..? Have I been such a fraud all this time in my cottons then? If so, then do I need to go for the wool...? (as that seems such an itchy, sweaty, uncomfortable option!! LoL..!)
BT, I was wearing an original chocolate officer's shirt that day at Duxford (chocolate = dark green, for those getting confused! lol) and I was cooking in it like a turkey at Xmas!!! so to wear the wool pants, well, I'd be suffering for authenticity!!!!

England (UK) in 1943:

Go native, wear them woolies :cheers1:

zeus36

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Didn't Billy Crystal do a skit on Saturday Night Live and joke, "it is better to look good than to feel good". :)

Yes, as Fernando Llamas in his nightclub booth, followed by: "You know, YOU look MARVelous !"

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Glorious pink..!!!

Thought I'd share this great pic of pinks being worn..

01140102_056.jpg

Cool or what..!!

Hondo

One Too Many
Yeah "Great Photo" I have never been to UK, so I don't know how the seasons are year round, cool from what I and hear, Thanks Paddy :cheers1:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well BT, me old Pink Pal...

Funny you say that...because my K1 khakis actually have a pink tinge to them!! which has got me all confused now, as they (as you'll know) are light weight cotton bags (not wool). Mmmmm. I know what you are saying, and you are being historically correct, but damn, if these khakis refuse to be anything but pink!!

I offered a guy in the UK £30 on Ebay for a pair of tailored officer's wool pinks a day ago. He was asking £50+ for them. In the end they went for about £53 on the eleventh hour. Currently, I cannot afford/justify spending more than £30 on a good pair of original wool pinks (you gotta draw a line in the sand according to your budget sometimes!).

So for now, I'm stuck wearing my Docker K-1's (original loom) and no doubt will get sniped at for it at all the airshows I go to. Oh well, I'm Irish and so pretty thick skinned!! haha. May the pink pound/dollar grow in strength.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Pinks are wool. Cotton is work uniform material. Don't sweat the cotton stuff, it's not totally without precedent to wear khaki trousers or shirts with a class A uniform, but you don't get quite the sharp, complete, and authentic look of a proper set of pinks & greens.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed Offficer pink's are usually labelled, ELASTIQUE. Often if youre lucky, you can find them refitted w/ a zipper. Much more convenient when out drinking & drinking.

btw, has anyone checked out the ORVIS officer pinks?

Item# SI50A7 at Orvis.com

-bernard

Hondo

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Paddy- there aint no cotton 'Pinks'- thePnk was a shade of wool; 'drab', had a pink tinge to it. The cotton is yer 'suntans', khakis that is...

Get it? Nothing looks like Pinks as yer pics attest to.

And remember- no Pleats!

B

T

Wow I never knew that "ain't no cotton in 'Pinks', and Thanks for the tip "no Pleats" got to get my weight down.

Feraud

Bartender
MrBern said:
btw, has anyone checked out the ORVIS officer pinks?

Item# SI50A7 at Orvis.com

-bernard
Yep, I have seen them in the catalog. They look like the Westeds but without the pleats. The price is a bit higher.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
As a rule there are no pleats in WWII US uniforms.
The exception would be the Mountain trousers used bythe FSSF & Mountain Troopers. Those are pretty much styled after civilian ski pants. They are also zipped instead of buttonflys.

As for pinks....I see police forces still wear them. Should be a lot cheaper than orvis or wested.

-b

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy