Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aroma of Aero FQHH

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As anyone who's experienced with Aero FQHH would know, the smell of the leather is very unique and pleasant, it smells of quality and history. The question is, what is the cause of the scent, how to restore it after it's gone?

I think Horween sells that scent in a spray bottle, but you can only get it in Chicago. ;-)
But, honestly I had a 10year old Aero I picked up and it still smelled up my coat closet. The smell lingers for quite awhile.

Last edited:

regius

Handymike, that's very useful information! Thanks! an 10 years? ok, even after hot water treatment?

I hadn't done that to it. But I don't think plain HWT would change the smell. Washing it with detergent as some have might though. Worf has some stuff to get rid of any smell, but not to put it back.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I think it is the CXL tanning process. I have several HH jackets that aren't CXL tanned, and they don't have the smell. My Highwayman CXL in steer has the odor, as well as the FQHH CXL, obviously.

regius

On oil conditioner/dressing for leather, someone said the oil stuff, mink oil, neastfoot, could rot stitching, is this true?!!!

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
On oil conditioner/dressing for leather, someone said the oil stuff, mink oil, neastfoot, could rot stitching, is this true?!!!

Eventually. I don't think it would be a problem until the jacket was very old whatever people say. I have a Hercules jacket which is as old as I am, and thats getting on a bit, and I had to re stitch every seam recently where they had all rotted. Probably contributed to by someone using oil on it, but the seams just rot eventually anyway.

Yes, be careful. once or twice not a big problem, but I have a bag that I've used monk oil on for years (before learning differently) and Ive had to get it restitched a couple times in places.

regius

Thanks guys. The biological reasoning is that the animal oil breeds microogranisms, and they eat the cotton part of the thread. But, in terms of Montana pitcjj blend, the pitch is an anti-bacterial, so it should counter the mink oil in the blend. Anyway, Leatherique is not oil based, but due to the protein content, it also will rot the thread.

pauleway

Practically Family
I do not like any type of colons (lets face it, its mens perfume) but if there was a colon that smelled like Aero FQHH, I'd load myself up with it!:p

robrinay

One Too Many
Well I read this thread and couldnt resist comparing the smell of my two Aero FQHH jackets of widely different ages, a new old stock HG-5 from 2006 (they dont make 'em anymore) and a 'Marlon Brando' biker jacket from the early 90's and yes both have that distinctive comforting smell in roughly equal strengths so it clearly lingers for quite some time.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. The biological reasoning is that the animal oil breeds microogranisms, and they eat the cotton part of the thread. But, in terms of Montana pitcjj blend, the pitch is an anti-bacterial, so it should counter the mink oil in the blend. Anyway, Leatherique is not oil based, but due to the protein content, it also will rot the thread.

RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing is fantastic stuff and will not go rancid. I've been using it for years on jackets, boots, etc, it's good stuff. IIRC Paddy here is also a big fan.

robrinay

One Too Many
I use a Effax Lederbalsam which I've read good things about on the FL and was recommended by a local saddlery. I believe it's made from lanolin avocado oil and beeswax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner