Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco IPOD accessories...

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
Heres the link

http://shopwritersbloc.com/ip5gslskclvi.html

13e8_3.jpg

146c_3.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Also, I think at some stage I'll have to get the external speakers to use at home (any recommendations?).
Paddy, I got an iPod for Christmas too. We have the iHome which you install under your kitchen cabinets and it plays the iPod as well as radio stations.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/iHom...sem/rpsm/oid/194607/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Then we also have the Spi-Dog (Spiderman version of the iDog). Although these items are not vintage looking, they do the job and we love them.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...i+dog&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1172880153629

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just finished making an iPod cover (photos)

My Sunday project. I wanted a vintagey iPod cover, so have made my own out of a piece of leather. Hopefully with use and age it will get to look better. Bougth stick on velcro to close it with and used an artists' scalpel to cut the windows.

Luddite

One of the Regulars
Not Golden Era, but my iPod lives inside a 1967 Ogle design transistor radio shell (I drive a '67 car). The radio was gutted and a dummy dial and switches made to free up interior space. I fitted the 'pod with a Griffin Airclick remote controller so I can work it from the outside. The earphone feed from the Airclick feeds into a splitter, one branch of which I have fed to the radio's earphone jack. This I link to a hidden amp in the car which in turn feeds hidden speakers (under the parcel shelf and behind the door skins). The other branch goes to an internal amp and speaker inside the transistor shell, which is activated when the headphone jack is removed, so the iPod can be played as a standalone unit. It's a work in progress still, as I need to engineer an on/off switch using the radio's rotary wheel but taking up very little interior space.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1920's styled cigarette case for your iPOD..!

Crave US: We have a long-standing tradition of ranting against useless or ugly special editions, but rarely have we seen one just for a podcessory. But when you're a company like 'WANT Les Essentiels De La Vi', we suppose, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

The Narita is the label's signature iPod holder, designed like a chic vintage cigarette case. Clocking in at a whopping $180, the holder emulates 1920's luxury re-worked as a modern case with hip and functional practicality. Currently, WANT Les Essentiels de la Vie pieces are available at Holt Renfrew and Barneys New York, but you can also find them online.

ipodcase.jpg

The international purveyor of luxury goods has proven that point with its limited-edition Narita iPod case, a handcrafted work of Italian leather that Popgadget says weighs more than the media player itself.

Never mind that it's not exactly the most practical item, as you need to open it to get access to the iPod, clamshell-style. Another blog said it was designed like a "chic vintage cigarette case" emulating 1920s luxury. Translation: not cheap ($180 or £95).

If you have more than one iPod, however, you'll have to look elsewhere to store them in appropriate style. For that, you may need a Fendi iPod trunk. - Mike Yamamoto

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
We have this radio by Crosley:

cr73ch_LG.gif

It's not a docking station, but it does allow you to run your Ipod through it. Crosley makes really gorgeous radios and jukeboxes.

Edward

Bartender
Reviewing this thread and looking again at Paddy's earlier statement re the vintage radio......

The easiest way to combine your ipod with one of those would be to aquire a vintage or vintage-style radio that has an FM band, then to buy an iTrip for your iPod. The iTrip is a miniture FM transmitter - all you need to do is place it within range of an FM radio tuned to the correct frquency, and hey presto: iPod sound coming out of your stereo.

Funnily enough, I've been planning to buy an iPod Classic myself - maybe in a few months' time, unless I find a deal I can't turn down in Hong Kong in a couple of weeks - and I was considring whether I could find a vintage style cigarette case that would accomodate an ipod. Not worried about needing to open to operate, just so long as I could close it while it was in use in my pocket.... maybe drill/file a channel groove in the edge?

PS - nice project, Paddy - looks great. Here's an idea for the next one: adapting a pair of headphones to resemble a WW2 pilot's 'phones.... :)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Paddy, that docking station looks great! ShinyShiny is my favorite gadget site for girls .. (yes I am a Gadget-Girl).

Also the cigarette case looking case looks beautifull aswell!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Edward said:
FM transmitter - all you need to do is place it within range of an FM radio tuned to the correct frquency, and hey presto: iPod sound coming out of your stereo.

Aren't those supposed to result in very bad sound?

DerMann

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Aren't those supposed to result in very bad sound?
Not especially.

My car only has a radio, so I've actually purchased two FM transmitters over the past two years. It's not as convenient as a cassette adaptor, but you get about the same audio quality.

There is a decrease in the amount of bass, or so I've been told. I can't really hear a difference in Mr. Miller and his Orchestra on my computer and in the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24