Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Lighting.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
I saw a site on here that had what looked like modern takes on Art Deco Light Fixtures, Sconces etc.

Anyone remember that?

Anyone have the site URL?

Chas

One Too Many
Of course, there's always your good old-fashioned antique stores. I can only imagine all the great stuff there is in LA. Of original stuff, like the slip shade lamp I found here in the lower mainland of B.C.
lite.jpg

I'm pretty sure that there is a company that makes repro Frankart lamps and such.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
dahliaoleander said:
I saw a site on here that had what looked like modern takes on Art Deco Light Fixtures, Sconces etc.

Anyone remember that?

Anyone have the site URL?

Sounds like Rejuvenation Lights, dhermann1 posted the link.
I'm pretty crazy about Antique Artistry, if I could afford it I would love some of her lamps.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually, depending on what you're looking for, I think the Rejuvenation fixtures are a pretty good bargain. They are built so solidly I think they're almost bombproof. I think most or all of the designs are taken from original pieces that they make casts from. On the other hand, original 20's and 30's sconces and chandeliers (I just saw the term "electrolier", a more accurate term that obviously never gained popularity) can set you back hundreds or even thousands. But some of them are really gorgeous.
Check this placeout, if you want to really break your heart.
http://www.decodame.com/index.html

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I purchased three pick-up truck loads of antique lighting from a long-closed local antique shop last fall. Most of the Deco stuff has been purchased by rejuvenation for their antique fixture department. I kept the odd sockets (for Thompson-Houston, Shaw, and Westinghouse based bulbs) and sold most of 'nineties gasoliers and electroliers and brackets to a shop in St Paul, scrapped the cheap. common '20's pan and ball lamp fixtures, and am in the process of restoring the better bowl, shower, pan and drop fixtures.

I love antique lighting, but really do not care at all ofor the slip-shade and ball-lamp fixtures of the late 1920's and early 1930's, as they tend to give a very poor quality of light.

The "Better Lighitng" indirect and semi-indirect fixtures introduced to take full advantage of the nitrogen-filled Type C Mazda lamp (the modern light bulb), which was introduced in around 1915 give a very soft, pleasant, shadowless light, which is much more to my taste.

Having long since entered middle age, I can no longer comfortably read by the 8 candle-power carbon lamps and bat's-wing gas burners that I used in my salad days, and find the "modern" lighting of the late 'teens to be a nice compromise between practicality and antiquity.

An added bonus is that energy saving compact fluorescent lamps work very very well in these semi-indirect fixtures, if the color temperature of the light given by the bulbs is no cooler than 2600 or 2700 deg. K. When the proper bulbs are used, they are indistinguishable from incandescents.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I'm actually building a new room in my backyard, and I'll be needing some lighting for it, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot