Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Society of California ...

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, after MANY years of hemming, hawing, thinking about it, and not doing it (not least because I vastly prefer Art Nouveau and Victoriana to Deco) I finally joined the Art Deco Society of California last night. And I am very pleased that I did.

It was Miss 1929 who finally changed my mind: the event was at Schroeder's, a place I'd heard of for years but never gone to, a German beer hall sort of place that YOU MUST SEE if you have not seen it, and Miss 1929 sang 20s and 30s standards accompanying herself on piano with a small fine band. The crowd had about 75 people, all beautifully dressed. People came up to me to talk about my suit (a late 1930s or early 1940s Fleischmann, if you're interested) and also just to say hello, sometimes with a "Oh, you're new here, aren't you? Well, I just wanted to introduce myself."

One of the members was asking me about the Fedora Lounge, as he had heard of it. He asked me if I was going to "defect" to the ADSC as though it and the Lounge were mutually exclusive -- ha ha. But it got me to attempt the (perhaps flawed) task of comparing our online society with the live event I was witnessing. There weren't many people in their 20s at all. In fact, there might have been only 1. A great number of elegant people in their 60s dancing and epitomizing elegance. I enjoyed their attitude and conversation. Several of the people I spoke with were architects. The Society's prime mission seems to be the preservation of architecture from the Deco period, a noble goal to a historian like me. At least one of their members was a medical doctor. Many were largely highly educated, established older professionals (not that I am impugning the education of the Loungers). I did not get as much of the "singles bar" vibe there as I get on the Lounge, for whatever that's worth (not that there is anything wrong with that either. If I were single, I'd be flirting on the Lounge even more than I do). But this was only one event. The ADSC did seem to have an older vibe, altogether; but I was assured by the current president, Serafina, that as of her tenure, "Prohibition is over," meaning that the good times were ready to roll.

I had been worried about the price, but it really wasn't prohibitive at all. It's normally $50 for the year, and that year includes many events. There is even a student discount available.

I realize that some people have reported bad or odd experiences with the ADSC, but everyone I met was charm personified. I was told there that two of their members did have a habit of skulking around and frowning at people's gear (like, I guess, a live version of Style Forum), but those two hadn't been seen in awhile.

I'd better stop now, or I'll sound like I was asked to advertise the society -- which I was not, not even informally.

Anyway, all I can say is, if you are vintage (or even just love vintage), live in the Bay Area, and have not checked out the society, it might be something to look into.

Mojito

One Too Many
Sounds like a brilliant gathering, Doran. I'd love to hear Miss 1929 sing! Reminds me I need to renew my membership of the NSW Art Deco society.

Miss 1929

I am blushing!

You can hear a few songs on my band's Myspace page:

www.myspace/saraswingtime

And thank you Doran for such kind words! You are an excellent ambassador!

Also for posting this thread - I have been an active member of the ADSC for 22 years! It literally has made what I am today. I strongly suggest that anyone who has a preconceived (negative) notion of what the ADSC is gives it a chance by coming to an event! I alwaus post them here and there are two upcoming - the Ahwahnee Heritage Holidays in Yosemite (March 2-4), and the Art Deco Preservation Ball in Berkeley (April 26). I will be performing at both of these!

Thank you again for your support.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So are you going to be the ambassador between the two groups, help quell the unneeded animosity?

I hope you are up for the job old chap.

LD

Dr Doran

Lady Day said:
So are you going to be the ambassador between the two groups, help quell the unneeded animosity?

I hope you are up for the job old chap.

LD

Well, I spoke well of the Fedora Lounge amidst the ADSC folk, and here I am on the Lounge speaking well of the ADSC, so I guess I am already doing this. But there are other members of both -- they probably speak well of both too.

Wingnut?

Vintage Betty

Miss 1929 said:
I was so hoping you would be there!

So sorry and thanks for the nice words! With the new puppy, we either have to take him along and walk him in the middle of -whatever- or else we have to get a petsitter. It's just too long to leave him at home. That, plus the one hour car ride each way makes for a long evening.

And for the record, we missed the East Bay Gathering because we turned this:

rain_010408.JPG

Into this. We still have half the tree to go as well as half the roof to clear. We're waiting for the three storms to pass.

wood1.jpg

Vintage Betty

Miss 1929

Firewood!

I hope you have somewhere to burn that, VB!
We are also pondering an outdoors East Bay FL gathering, once the weather gets a bit better, so I guess we should make it do-friendly so VB can come with the puppy!

Vintage Betty

Miss 1929 said:
I hope you have somewhere to burn that, VB!
We are also pondering an outdoors East Bay FL gathering, once the weather gets a bit better, so I guess we should make it do-friendly so VB can come with the puppy!

That would be nice, thank you for thinking of us!
Our house is old, and our fireplace just smokes up the house. We gave away half the firewood cut up into logs to someone who gave them to the poor.

I am trying to give away the other half before we have to cut it. Anyone here want any 5 foot logs to cut up? lol

renor27

One of the Regulars
sorry about the tree

To bad you are in the bay area and not closer that looks like oak and I do use the fire place in my 1945 home. Have burned over a cord this winter use to log for a living and still do a little timber work on the side so is easy for me to take the truck up into the woods and get a few cords each year to keep warm.
Be interesting if an event happens in the Bay area will try to make it just depends on school Al ways Gatsby @ Tahoe in August.
David

renor27

One of the Regulars
I think Gatsby @ tahoe is one of the best events .

would love to see a large turn out of loungers and Deco folks @ this summers Gatsby.
Am working on putting to gether some lawn games for saturday.
Also looking into getting a groupie camp site @ Fallen Leaf Lake for the weekend.
The camp ground is right across the road from Gatsby hot showers is camping but still not back packing. Think great food great drink and a big bond fire on Saturday night, somores and the high Sierra any one game?
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy