Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Wow, I haven't had power since Thursday. A tornado ripped through two miles from my house, and trees are uprooted and power lines and transformers totaled, and it's all kind of a mess. Needless to say I haven't been on in a couple days... Well rant over.

Pompidou, I've been waiting eagerly to see the outcome of it. I must honestly say it does not fall near the boundaries of what I'd feel comfortable wearing; but that's not saying you can't pull it off well. It fits you well, and I like it... but it wouldn't work on my noggin. I'm too serious to have that much fun with a hat.

Art, I must say that this is truly some of your best work. Not in terms of a traditional, 30's inspired lid pulling direct inspiration from the various examples of..... But it really shows the true skills of an artisan that can take an idea that is entirely new and foreign to him, add his own touches, and just run with it; and in the end creating something that is both miles away from his typical work, yet somehow feels just as much a part of it as every other one of his masterpieces. You should truly be proud of this one, Sir! :eusa_clap

So what are the specs on it?

Pompidou

One Too Many
Specs

I'll see if I can measure things. It's in the ballpark of 7 3/4 because, while I can't find the size on the band, my second best fitting hat is 7 3/4. Its crown is about 4 1/2 or so (didn't want to touch the tape measure in case it had anything on it). It's pretty straight up all around as best I can see. The ribbon is about 3 inches. The brim is about 2 1/2, doesn't snap or anything, but kinda goes up all around. What's cool about it is that it's like a totally different hat in different lighting - sort of like Oxblood wearers mention. Hope that works for specs.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pompidou said:
Here you go. I love it.

44668_1348610324724_1515318688_30772946_2308969_n.jpg

45548_1348610484728_1515318688_30772947_5583138_n.jpg
Bold and good. The man ordering it and the one making it knew what they were doing. I hoist one to "the nerve."

Rat Pack

One of the Regulars
New member here. You folks really have some beautiful hats. In the guitar world there GAS (Guitar Aquisition Syndrome), what do you folks call the need for more hats :)

Daizawaguy, you want to adopt me?

Welcome Rat Pack.
Here, we just call it "The Affliction", if we mention it at all.
They say admitting you have a problem is the first step to being cured, but who wants to be cured???? [huh]
Rat Pack said:
New member here. You folks really have some beautiful hats. In the guitar world there GAS (Guitar Aquisition Syndrome), what do you folks call the need for more hats :)

Daizawaguy, you want to adopt me?

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
Welcome Rat Pack.
They say admitting you have a problem is the first step to being cured, but who wants to be cured???? [huh]

it may be called FIP- fedora induced psychosis

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
[...] but who wants to be cured???? [huh]

Especially when the only currently approved treatment, Fedora Antibody Replacement Therapy, has some rather embarrassing side effects. ;)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
Welcome Rat Pack.

And many of us have multiple afflictions! I have a musical instrument one as well, Rat Pack, and there are others here as well. Then there are sub-Afflictions, like my growing collection of Art Fawcett hats (to bring the thread back to topic).

AlanC

Allow me to introduce The Stratoliter:

img2236o.jpg

img2234x.jpg

img2241.jpg

img2243d.jpg

Lightweight sahara, 2 3/8" brim with underwelt (idea stolen from St. Ignatz).

I've long wanted a Stratoliner, and finally came across a beauty that was simply too big for me. It now sits on the noggin of our own RBH. The proceeds of that sell led me to commission this beauty from Art.

So since it's not officially a Stratoliner, and it's lightweight felt, I think Stratoliter seems appropriate.

DRB

One Too Many
That is a beauty Alan. A pristine hat in a versatile, appealing color. Nice! And beaver too :eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
Pompidou said:

That right there is what custom hats are all about... something that suits the owner, not a stock style made for the "masses". :eusa_clap

I couldn't sport a style like that with any degree of confidence, but Pompidou, you DO! :eusa_clap Looks fantastic.

Randy

AlanC

Thanks, Douglas.

The brim certainly seems to behave itself better than my Artlite (I think you and I got ours around the same time). The brim on this one is a little narrower, too, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points