Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Frussel, Cliff, Bowlerman, Issac, and Diazawayguy; Thanks taking a look at my new Vintage Silhouette.

My new VS hat accompanied me this morning. The hat will spend its wearing life working to provide me some protection, cover and style. I put it to work this morning. I spent time watching local hawks pester the neighborhood owl. I do not know if they were just teasing, a territory issue or prey jealousy. Their calls and splendor made for an enjoyable watch.

Photo-on-2011-11-16-at-0946-M.jpg

My hat of choice is my new Vintage Silhouette. Dog walk, splitting some wood, and bird watching was the hat's first morning chores. Welcome hat to my world!

Photo-on-2011-11-16-at-0946-4-S.jpg

Here are some quick photos this from this morning. I have not had time to stage the scene or put up any fancy, dancy lighting.

Hat profile;

IMG8296-M.jpg

Top view;

IMG8298-M.jpg

Liner shot;

IMG8302-L.jpg

Ribbon;

IMG8294-L.jpg

I truly am pleased with the hat. I am off for scheduled obligations. I will update later.

Thanks for looking at my new prized fedora, Eric -

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
DesertDan and Kaosharper1; Thanks for taking a look. No pinches - Mr.Fawcett provided the fedora as such. I have left it as. I appreciate your posts.

Eric -
Just so you know - sometimes with new custom hats the side dents pop out during shipping. This may not be the case but it does happen.
It looks great as is - it's a true beauty :)

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
On the to topics of side dents: I have read the huge number of posts before heading out to request to become an Art Fawcett client. I am impressed with the hats I have seen. Other VS hatted folks, should I add side dents?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
On the to topics of side dents: I have read the huge number of posts before heading out to request to become an Art Fawcett client. I am impressed with the hats I have seen. Other VS hatted folks, should I add side dents?
It's all about you. Dry bash them in and see if you like it better - if not, don't change it.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

To be honest, what does it matter if it has side dents, front pinch or none? It's YOUR hat and should reflect what YOU want it to look like :)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'm so glad you are happy with it SBG but it left here with front pinches and Rodkins is right. Because the hat is so soft it often looses it's pinches in shipping and you should be able to just caress them back in with light pressure. It doesn't look bad the way it is but not what I intended.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Steamed in side dents.

This morning before morning chores and getting off to the business I steamed in side dents. The Rowena steamer was filled with distilled water and heated up. Steaming was a breeze. It did take more steam than some of the other stiff vintage hats that I have worked on. More steam - but easy. Next time I will spray some water directly on the hat and then use steam.

Results:
Photo-on-2011-11-17-at-1309-2-S.jpg

Photo-on-2011-11-17-at-1308-3-S.jpg

Felt observations:
As other posters have noted on this thread, the lighter colors are more pliable and clay-like when touched or molded. When I touch my Sahara felt VS hat the metaphor that pops to mind is that the hat is the cashmere of felts. It has generally cashmere feel - very soft, malleable and wear ability. I am very careful of my cashmere sweaters. The woven fibers do not take do well under abrasive wear as do a wool item. This is exactly were the metaphor breaks down for this hat felt. I have brushed the wood chips off, brushed the hat off from branches knocking it off this morning, wiped the dew and brown dirt off resulting from the branch and finally brushed away the finger marks from the barista (pretty young lady) who picked up and admired the hat off the table early this morning. The marks and daily dirt come right off! This lighter felt moves a bit in the gusty winds, but has memory of the crease. I am very pleased and continue to learn from my experience wearing the fedora. The felt has a great texture. It is not smooth, but has a rougher dimension. The pics that Rabbit showed on earlier pages are true for this felt also. Up close it appeals to the eye. In fact, if the barista is an example, it intrigues the viewer to desire to touch the felt. The barista said it drew her to touch it even though she knew not to.

Ribbon work:
Ok, I have an under-grad degree in Mech-Eng. and should qualify that I enjoy knowing how things are built. I own up that I did take apart our family lawnmower as a child and put it back together. I just wanted to see how it worked. Admittedly I found that they had added some parts that apparently the mower did not need to work. ;) With said background given; the ribbon work, under close scrutiny is marvelous. Last evening I pulled a glass up to vintage Stetsons, Adam, Lee, Borso.,Cav's and Maysers and had a close look at ribbons. What an education in details of work. Art Fawcett's ribbon work stands TALL in comparison to the best of those ribbons. I would say that it is the tops when it comes to subtlty of the folds, colors and attachments.

Photo-on-2011-11-17-at-1303-2-S.jpg

Photo-on-2011-11-17-at-1303-4-S.jpg

More reflections to come ..........

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk