Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Lovely hat Moogle...

If you`ll excuse me for an old one...my finest VS

DSC_3548.jpg

What is the felt color spec on this one?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Black Cherry

5 3/4" x 2 1/4" with 19 L matching ribbon. The brim is actually 5.8 cm (in-between 2 1/4" and 2 3/8"), as requested.

The color is just awesome. It looks not quite as daring as the pictures render it. :)

Next to green herringbone Harris Tweed:

oaartj.jpg

2qtvius.jpg

290vwb5.jpg

Next to midnight blue Stetson Special Homburg and chocolate brown Resistol Kitten Finish Beaver Fifteen:

f54yes.jpg

Next to VS Oxblood (left):

de92rr.jpg

ht9p54.jpg

m832pw.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
The last picture with the liner renders the felt color most accurately. The other shots remind me of the Fuji Velvia Slide Film and its larger-than-life color rendition. lol

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Dove

5 3/4" x 2 3/8" (deep diamond crease) with 19 L black ribbon, silver brim binding and VS stripe.

mrco5l.jpg

wkfix4.jpg

f1jptw.jpg

211nmdf.jpg

The crease is based on William Powell's light grey hat that he wore in many of his mid/late 1930s movies.

I love you again (1940):

m8ft5x.jpg

fem5oy.jpg

After the Thin Man (1936):

102upw1.jpg

30j5ow1.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
looks great, Rabbit. The crease is impeccable. In the first of those movie shots it looks like the tip of the brim is flanged up a bit. Could that be a different hat? You've got a very impressive collection.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
D'Guy, Aureliano, Mario, Mulceber, bowlerman, thank you for your kind words!

As for the design, I was looking for a light grey/ black ribbon combo in a lighter grey than the Blue Smoke. I considered Silvermist but decided against it as I figured it would be too much contrast when wearing it with grey and navy suits, which is the main objective.
Then I realized that the Dove felt would look quite light when combined with a black ribbon. And sure enough, my Dove w/ charcoal ribbon does have a distinctly different appearance. Both are fantastic hats, very versatile.

Bowlerman, that's an interesting question about Powell's hat. It could be the same hat or he could have bought a new one of the same model, which happened to have a slightly different brim curve.
Powell and other Hollywood actors of the era usually had contracts in which they agreed to buy their own attire for use during filming.

Here's some more shots from different angles. In these pics, the brim looks more similar to the one in "I love you again". The felt is on the floppy side (which can be seen when he handles the hat), so it could be the same one after all.

After the Thin Man (1936):

2ro2ec2.jpg

2ed59o3.jpg

30m4apz.jpg

Another film with "the light grey hat":

My Man Godfrey (1936):

jb2zux.jpg

rkq7h3.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Off-topic:
In "I love you again", there's a scene in a department store when Powell's character is so engaged in explaining to the store manager what he wants, that he actually puts on his hat front side back, thereby putting in a temporary pinch to the back which then becomes the hat's front side on his head! lol That's how floppy his hat is... The pinch stays that way during the scene, the hat thus being pinched both front and rear side.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for taking the time and effort on the pics Rabbit, they are beautiful!!

Thank YOU Art for building these lovely hats :)

I will soon be posting complete attire pics with VS hats. It will be interesting to see them with different clothings, I hope.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I thought the same thing Mario, but when this hat was pictured. I've been putting my signature "VS" stripe for six years now but with so many copies coming out people tend to forget where it started. Even Graham at Optimo uses it Aureliano

Art: I'm pretty sure that - at least here at the Lounge - most if us will never forget who first picked up on that idea! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112