Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

dnjan

One Too Many
But I have to admit that as much as I admire the craftsmanship in this hat, it doesn't do much for me. I understand the straw crown for ventilation, but what do you need the felt brim for? You can't wear it in the rain or anything. Maybe I'd have to see one in person.
Felt brims behave much better than straw brims.
They don't go all "wonky" (or at least if they do, they are much easier to steam back to normal)

I would describe my hat size as 7-1/8 "diagonal oval". I put a hat on where it feels right, and then twist it until it lines up correctly. Most felts tolerate this, but with better straws it is a different matter. I finally went the "conformer" route with our beloved Sir Arthur, and he reblocked my good straw hat and also made me an incredibly ugly (as in asymmetrical) wood block that matches my head exactly. I haven't had to use it on any felt hats yet, but it does a nice job of keeping the straw hat "in shape" between wearings.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Felt brims behave much better than straw brims.
They don't go all "wonky" (or at least if they do, they are much easier to steam back to normal)

I would describe my hat size as 7-1/8 "diagonal oval". I put a hat on where it feels right, and then twist it until it lines up correctly. Most felts tolerate this, but with better straws it is a different matter. I finally went the "conformer" route with our beloved Sir Arthur, and he reblocked my good straw hat and also made me an incredibly ugly (as in asymmetrical) wood block that matches my head exactly. I haven't had to use it on any felt hats yet, but it does a nice job of keeping the straw hat "in shape" between wearings.

I agree. I would also add that when I've worn lightweight straws that don't fit snug, I always have a feeling that the hat could blow off. Probably just from the lightweight feel versus wearing felts. I think the felt brim would add just enough weight to alleviate this feeling.

Dnjan: I meant the DuCappello name for any version of the hat.

B

dnjan

One Too Many
Dnjan: I meant the DuCappello name for any version of the hat.

B

But it really soinds like the Milan version to me.

About a straw hat feeling loose - when you "snug it down" to resist a bit of wind, the brim can really go wonky.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Duotex unfortunately not available

1237b-duleta.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I asked Art to recreate this Dunlop Duplex that ScottF posted.

strawfeltlg.jpg

This is what showed up in my mailbox yesterday.

duplex7.jpg

duplex6.jpg

duplex9.jpg

duplex8.jpg

duplex1.jpg

I lurve this hat. Thanks Mr. Fawcett.

(Cross-posted in half-breed hats thread.)

That is one great looking hat. As warmer weather is approaching, I believe man more of these beautiful hats will be floating around from orders being placed to Mr. Fawcett. I am entertaining the thought of ordering one myself. Everything about this hat shows so much detail, makes me want one badly.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for the kind words LMH2, this has really turned into a fun experience. I never would have thought it would get this much attention.

I believe we have a winner on the name. Thanks RLK, I think Dualist says it all so when I can get a website person to work with me it will go up under that name.

Any web guys out there willing to work for hats?

InsolentPuppy

A-List Customer
That hat suits you very nicely, gqmagic.
I have found that I like the way I look in my hats in every angle except dead straight ahead. This is not a problem you possess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred