Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Powderblue LITE w/ 22 L midnight blue

Here we go - the wall pic and a shot earlier today, with beaten shoes and T-shirt. The unlined lightweight felt held up quite well at 80 degrees.
The light is actually still too harsh, so... to be continued.

PowderblueLITE-w-22midnightblue.jpg

2012-07-05_VS-PowderblueLITE-w-22midnite.jpg

Last edited:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
DJH !
if my wife see's this im in trouble ! Big trouble !
but
lets us know how it comes out !!!! LOL,

Rabbit Im confused. it all comes down to the (size of the felt bodies) for a taller crown i guess ?
Love your Powder Blue Lite..........cant wait for the Wall Pic.

The body is wetted/steamed and stretched over the crown block and then the flanging of brim begins. The brim is then trimmed to the right width.
I would assume the larger hats end up a bit thinner after this, at least up to the point where a larger cone hat body is used for fear of issues of going too thin.
I don't remember which western hat maker's site I was looking at that had a note that brims larger than 4 inches were not available in hats over 7 5/8. I assumed the crown on those large ones didn't leave enough for a wider brim after flanging. Also probably meant that hatter did not get the larger felt bodies

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Here we go - the wall pic and a shot earlier today, with beaten shoes and T-shirt. The unlined lightweight felt held up quite well at 80 degrees. The light is actually still too harsh, so... to be continued.

Rabbit; Nice to hear that 80' and the art-lite felt is still comfortable. That is my experience also. Somehow the light weight felt seems to be comfortable. As you get some wearing time you will have to comment as to the comfort change with the vent holes in the crown. Do they add to comfort? Are they noticable? The powder blue felt is working in your shot. The hat looks good on your head sir!

I agree with DJH in that I still struggle with powderblue for personal wearing. I love the color. I often ponder commisioning a powder blue or a the sage green (like Jauntyone's) hat from Mr.Fawcett. I end up stopping when I consider how I would look in them, or what attire I would wear. Love the colors, love seeing them on other folks, but can not wrap my thoughts upon how I would wear it.

Rabbit, I look to you for on hand experience with the VS felt colors. Your hat closet and personal experience is vast. I suspect that a felt/weave hat may be in your future. That should be special. Although I do not recall any dud's in your closet.

Nice hat and thanks once again for sharing! In fact, share again and often.:D

Best Eric -

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Mike, congrats on your first VS! Wear it in good health.

Rabbit; Nice to hear that 80' and the art-lite felt is still comfortable. That is my experience also. Somehow the light weight felt seems to be comfortable. As you get some wearing time you will have to comment as to the comfort change with the vent holes in the crown. Do they add to comfort? Are they noticable? The powder blue felt is working in your shot. The hat looks good on your head sir!

I agree with DJH in that I still struggle with powderblue for personal wearing. I love the color. I often ponder commisioning a powder blue or a the sage green (like Jauntyone's) hat from Mr.Fawcett. I end up stopping when I consider how I would look in them, or what attire I would wear. Love the colors, love seeing them on other folks, but can not wrap my thoughts upon how I would wear it.

Rabbit, I look to you for on hand experience with the VS felt colors. Your hat closet and personal experience is vast. I suspect that a felt/weave hat may be in your future. That should be special. Although I do not recall any dud's in your closet.

Nice hat and thanks once again for sharing! In fact, share again and often.:D

Best Eric -

Eric, I think it's understandable that many people would hesitate wearing a Powderblue. It is quite an unconventional color, after all. To me, the powderblue felt with midnight blue ribbon works well with certain outfits; the almost black ribbon does help a lot in making this color work for me. Although powderblue is a flamboyant color, it somehow doesn't feel that way to me when I'm wearing it. I still feel at home wearing it. Apart from casual summer clothes I mostly find myself wearing it with tan suits or odd jacket/ trouser combos with tan in it; it also works for me with my tan British Warm coat and gray flannel underneath in freezing temps. I'll post some shots next winter.

If you believe that wearing a powderblue hat would make you feel uncomfortable or self-conscious (which is what I'm reading between the lines), then your feeling may be right. We have to draw the line somewhere.
It's true, liking colors/ materials all by themselves is one thing, enjoying wearing them is another. I like the Sunset and the Light Sage, but I would be hesitant to wear them.

Here's an arrangement of "my" colors in the 1st row (including chocolate and charcoal which I have in vintage hats only) and the other colors in the 2nd row. Apart from the Black Cherry (which somehow steps out of line), I see a pattern here.

VS-Winchester-felts_post1100.jpg

1st row:
Powderblue, Blue Smoke, Dove, Silvermist, Silverbelly, Mojave, Sahara, Oxblood, Black Cherry, Dark Moss, Black, Charcoal, Chocolate.
2nd row:
Ivory, Light Sage, Sunset, Camel, Natural, Granite, Pecan, Whiskey, Rust, Forest, Steel, Midnight Blue.

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Eric, I think it's understandable that many people would hesitate wearing a Powderblue. It is quite an unconventional color, after all.

If you believe that wearing a powderblue hat would make you feel uncomfortable or self-conscious (which is what I'm reading between the lines), then your feeling may be right. We have to draw the line somewhere.

[huh][huh][huh]

I like the powder blue so much, I got my latest Whites`s semi dress custom made to match my hat! :D

DSC_9136.jpg

DSC_9137.jpg

But then, I am a believer in the unconventional...;)

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit, nice wall shot ! of the powder blue.

Mikespens, that is a great hat color & ribbon very special there.

daizawaguy, wowza ! both Hat & boots are killer ! is the hat a Lite ?
those Whites boots are likes Art's hat's , (no 2 alike) full custom's

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Nikolai, Manfred, and Che. Just noticed that Art's site is featuring daizawaguy's lids now along with Nikolai's, thanks for sharing your great collections of Art's work. Have to admit daizawaguy, I have a weak spot for the stingys.

Deposit paid. How the heck do you people deal with the anticipation?!?!? lol

Just drink yourself into oblivion for the next 3-4 weeks tealseal and you'll find it's there in no time.

Last edited:

magruder

New in Town
This arrangement of swatches is most informative. Thank you for posting this!
Mike, congrats on your first VS! Wear it in good health.

Eric, I think it's understandable that many people would hesitate wearing a Powderblue. It is quite an unconventional color, after all. To me, the powderblue felt with midnight blue ribbon works well with certain outfits; the almost black ribbon does help a lot in making this color work for me. Although powderblue is a flamboyant color, it somehow doesn't feel that way to me when I'm wearing it. I still feel at home wearing it. Apart from casual summer clothes I mostly find myself wearing it with tan suits or odd jacket/ trouser combos with tan in it; it also works for me with my tan British Warm coat and gray flannel underneath in freezing temps. I'll post some shots next winter.

It's true, liking colors/ materials all by themselves is one thing, enjoying wearing them is another. I like the Sunset and the Light Sage, but I would be hesitant to wear them.

Here's an arrangement of "my" colors in the 1st row (including chocolate and charcoal which I have in vintage hats only) and the other colors in the 2nd row. Apart from the Black Cherry (which somehow steps out of line), I see a pattern here.

VS-Winchester-felts_post1100.jpg

1st row:
Powderblue, Blue Smoke, Dove, Silvermist, Silverbelly, Mojave, Sahara, Oxblood, Black Cherry, Dark Moss, Black, Charcoal, Chocolate.
2nd row:
Ivory, Light Sage, Sunset, Camel, Natural, Granite, Pecan, Whiskey, Rust, Forest, Steel, Midnight Blue.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
This arrangement of swatches is most informative. Thank you for posting this!

You're welcome, magruder.
The color rendition in the swatches pic is quite accurate. I took them in late spring on a brightly overcast day, in perfect lighting conditions.
However, be aware that it's not a substitute to seeing the felt swatches in person and holding them next to other materials for comparison.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Just drink yourself into oblivion for the next 3-4 weeks tealseal and you'll find it's there in no time.
That plan has the potential to be very, very expensive. Can't wait though! This is a very special project, and so I've asked many many (stupid) questions and been trying, I'm sure. Art's knowledge and patience have been and continue to be top class.

clossonrr

New in Town
beautiful hats posted recently gentlemen! I had just received my first VS hat about a month ago and I already am on the hunt for another!! I now have a granite color which I am in love with but I am having even more trouble deciding on a color this time around! How do you guys deal with this pressure?!?! I am thinking maybe a Dove, but I have absolutely fell in love with RABBITS silverbelly! ohhh the agony of deciding!

BR Gordon

One Too Many
beautiful hats posted recently gentlemen! I had just received my first VS hat about a month ago and I already am on the hunt for another!! I now have a granite color which I am in love with but I am having even more trouble deciding on a color this time around! How do you guys deal with this pressure?!?! I am thinking maybe a Dove, but I have absolutely fell in love with RABBITS silverbelly! ohhh the agony of deciding!

Now you know why we have multiple hats.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Rabbit, nice wall shot ! of the powder blue.

Mikespens, that is a great hat color & ribbon very special there.

daizawaguy, wowza ! both Hat & boots are killer ! is the hat a Lite ?
those Whites boots are likes Art's hat's , (no 2 alike) full custom's

A big +1 fellows!
Mikespens; Wooza. Congrats.

D-Guy; I love how adventurous you are with your custom White's and hats. Your artisitic sensibilities, pics, are something that really drew me initially to this thread and the Art beauties. Like so many others, I see you in the small panthanon of VS hat owners who have stepped boldly. I can not respond to all posts on the forum that I find interesting (no time), but your recent dress shoe, jean and hat posts have been very interesting and enjoyable.

Your feature on Art Fawcett's website, http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/client_des/client_des_start.htm, is quite impressive. Post on sir! Thanks for sharing.

Rabbit; Thanks for your posting of the felt colors. Rabbit, I too took the samples apart, labeled the colors on each and have assembled them, held them up to attire, coats, asked family opinions. Boy am I glad that I am not the only one who worked my choices out this way. My wife lovingly and politely nods her head when I am in the throes of working out felt colors and various deired styles of hat. My nephew kindly helped this spring on a few hat drawings that he sent me and I "colored them with the colored felt (photo'd and applied to the image via software). He thought that technology would help. We never followed it all the way through to creating a design board of the hat shape/ribbon options tough. It is a project that remains open to some creative and energetic hat afficianato still.

I have your powder blue hat and Jauntyone's sage green hat images saved and do consider them. I love those colors. Never know how sensibilities change. Why, it wasn't but 18 months ago that I started wearing felt/straw hats at all.

Best to all Art apreciators, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy