Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Moss green VS

I went to post a pic today in the daily thread and it occurred to me: despite having my VS for eight months, I've never posted picture. Gah! So here we go, my first VS in moss green:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Love the density and feel of this hat--it just feels solid under hand and on head. I showed it to a friend who worked in the Stephens/Stetson factory up in St. Joseph a few decades back; he felt it and said, "That's a decent pounce." :)

Thanks, Art! 8 months in, and I still love the hat.

A

Lotsahats

One Too Many
It's a custom. Art and I talked a couple of times, and that was enough for him to come up with a plan. Great guy to work with!

barrowjh

One Too Many
Wow. I love olive or sage greens, and that Moss Green is just plush looking. I realize it is not the light olive or sage green I am looking for, but darn, that is a really nice looking felt!!!!!!!! Great choice, Lotsahats!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I ordered a work of Art back in May, stating that I wouldn't be wearing it until October anyway so take your time. Lets say that UPS and I aren't close some days.

This is what I sent Art to go on:

"What I want order is a Beaver Indiana Jones “clone”. I already own a Stetson Temple in Brown with a black ribbon. By “clone” I mean a hat in a size similar to Indiana Jones hats, in a color combination SIMILAR to his hats and shaped somewhat like his hats. High crown, with no taper, wide brim, down in front, up in back, possibly snap brim (but I’m obviously open to down in both front and back as you’ll see from the pictures). I want the hat color to be in earth tones like Indy wears, but not the same as in the movies. It can remind you of an Indy hat, but not just be a copy if that makes sense. "

What I received was:

Art_Indy_hat_Front_01_Cropped_zpsed4f6e78.jpg

Art_Indy_Hat_Side_01_Cropped_zpsc57843ca.jpg

I'm Happy.

Later

carranty

One of the Regulars
I received my second VS last week, this time opting for the Whiskey felt. 5.75" crown, dimensional brim (2 6/8 at the front, 2 5/8 at the sides), 1 inch ribbon. Unfortunately this one didn't survive the trip as well as my last one, I think the box must have been left in an over or something as the brim was severely distorted on arrival. Some distilled water later though, and I think its looking good!

20131010_121333_zps5fb1a50a.jpg
20131010_121430_zps3fc9e8bd.jpg
20131013_145703_zpsf2eb944a.jpg
The large crown finally let me attempt an arrow head crease, which I'm quite pleased with. The brim has a tendency to flare up a little at the sides, this is probably due to the shipping issues, if any one has any ideas how to reduce it please do let me know.

And of course, the obligatory noggin shots

20131008_214141_zps6a509e55.jpg
BodyShot_zpsc6070e1a.jpg

Overall, I'm one extremely satisfied customer :)

carranty

One of the Regulars
I received my second VS last week, this time opting for the Whiskey felt. 5.75" crown, dimensional brim (2 6/8 at the front, 2 5/8 at the sides), 1 inch ribbon. Unfortunately this one didn't survive the trip as well as my last one, I think the box must have been left in an oven or something during transport as the brim was quite distorted on arrival. Some distilled water later though, and I think its looking good!

View attachment 5119
View attachment 5120
View attachment 5121
The large crown finally let me attempt an arrow head crease, which I'm quite pleased with. The brim has a tendency to flare up a little on the left side (the other side of the hat is good), this is probably due to the shipping issues, if any one has any ideas how to reduce it please do let me know.

20131010_121619_zps1c466e2a.jpg
View attachment 5122
View attachment 5123

Last edited:

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I received my second VS last week, this time opting for the Whiskey felt. 5.75" crown, dimensional brim (2 6/8 at the front, 2 5/8 at the sides), 1 inch ribbon. Unfortunately this one didn't survive the trip as well as my last one, I think the box must have been left in an oven or something during transport as the brim was quite distorted on arrival. Some distilled water later though, and I think its looking good!

View attachment 5119
View attachment 5120
View attachment 5121
The large crown finally let me attempt an arrow head crease, which I'm quite pleased with. The brim has a tendency to flare up a little on the left side (the other side of the hat is good), this is probably due to the shipping issues, if any one has any ideas how to reduce it please do let me know.

View attachment 5124
View attachment 5122
View attachment 5123

The arrowhead crease is amazing! This is one fine hat. And it's a great fit for you. Well done on the design. And a thumbs up to Art on the execution. And the color is very versatile.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
carranty,
most hats take abuse when shipped
you did a swell job on the brim & arrow crease... some steam will do the trick if you need more adjustments a tea kettle will work magic.
you'll see its real easy But I think it looks great as is.
great color ribbon/felt combo

carranty

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, I really do love it! The pictures really don't do the colour of the felt justice, it's a very rich beautiful brown (truly the colour of whiskey), though very tricky to capture in photos.

The fit is perfect as ever. I love that Art uses conformers, I think I have a fairly asymmetric + long oval head, no factory made hat I've ever bought has fit comfortably, even after months of wear, but Art's are perfect right out of the box.

ProfCharles

New in Town
Art Fawcett VS Hats have a reputation among serious hat owners that's almost unprecedented. Having worn only indy style hats, I wanted to get something of my own and be able to say "Like Hell its yours" so I took the plunge. I had never ordered a custom ANYTHING so I was completely new to the experience and had a spouse that is very critical about where I spend my money.
Working with Art was a worthwhile experience and while I fell victim to having unrealistically high expectations of the custom experience, Art is an AMAZING guy, not just the hat but the customer service. It took a couple of rounds but it's the end product that's most important and my only concern is that I hope not to have it stolen or lose it!! :eeek:

Century Felt - Charcoal
19 ligne Carbon grey ribbon, with burgundy stripe surrounded by black folds. (This is my fav part of the hat, Art truly knows his craft)
2 3/8 bound snap brim
5 1/2 inch untapered open crown, which I bashed into my usual center crease with heavy pinched dents (I'm a pincher)

The Hat is smooth sand soft but was stiff, much as you would expect from say a standard Fed IV, and the experience bashing the hat was about the same, but I'm sure it will soften up. Did I mention the felt was soft and smooth? I'd say luxurious. I went out to a party and aside from getting Nice Hat comments, people who felt the hat responded with "WOW this must of cost a good penny." It's a good thing I have a hat brush.

The fit was RIGHT! This was the most difficult part of the process but again Art's customer service is phenomenal. Not too tight, not too loose. No headaches! I wish my Fed fit like this now.

So here are the pics, with a couple next to the Carbon Fed IV. The color is not as accurate, and is actually darker up close. I would say it's a neutral Charcoal, which is perfect for a dress hat.

CAM00051.jpg CAM00055.jpg CAM00062.jpg CAM00063.jpg

CAM00057.jpg CAM00058.jpg

CAM00034.jpg IMG_20131014_000948.jpg IMG_20131014_001151.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy