Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
You're right, Nik. The shoulders is the curved line/area connecting the sides to the top. And you're also right, that #52 has very slight taper - and so do the others I mentioned. Nevertheless #52 is the most straight/square/full block, I know of.

Right, #52 is regarded as the most straight block type. For the others, there's a fine thread on block shapes with posts by Josh, I'm trying to dig it up.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My VS has a 2 5/8" brim, which doesn't seem that outlandish with the crown it is attached to. I love the side profile and color scheme on this one, but have no idea what the block is. It appears to work with a slightly telescoped diamond. I measure a 5 1/2" open crown, and 4 5/8" at its highest crease point. The ribbon is 1 3/8".

The other thing about this hat is that it sits higher on the back of my head than any of my others.

4eue.jpg

mnko.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It looks great on you, but do you feel it's too small? If it's comfortable, don't fix it. On the other hand, woodwinds often have a lot of draft in the neck from the brass, so you got to be sure, it stays in place :)

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Found it.

In the thread "Limits of blocking", there is a section starting with post #31 by Josh. It's an excellent read if you're looking for information on block shapes.

Oh, how I could have used this information 24 hours ago! :eusa_doh: Anyone want to buy a couple of blocks that I ordered and probably can't use? Sigh.

Oh, well. Experience is cheap, right?

A

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
My VS has a 2 5/8" brim, which doesn't seem that outlandish with the crown it is attached to. I love the side profile and color scheme on this one, but have no idea what the block is. It appears to work with a slightly telescoped diamond. I measure a 5 1/2" open crown, and 4 5/8" at its highest crease point. The ribbon is 1 3/8".

The other thing about this hat is that it sits higher on the back of my head than any of my others.

Telescoped means tapered? Could be a slightly more rounded shoulder, then. The #52 type doesn't taper, neither in a center dent nor in a diamond crease.

As for fit - like Ole said, the important thing is how it feels on you. If you prefer it to sit lower, contact Art, and have him adjust the fit of this hat. If you're having another VS made, have the bandblock modified or get another conform fit before you repeat the same fit. That's the whole point of a conformed fit, after all.

One question, though: Where exactly did the conformer sit on your head, and where did you take the measurement of your head circumference? Ideally it would be about 1/2" above the eyebrows and 1/2" above the top of the ears, with some leeway for the individual anatomy (large ears, small ears and such). The measurement should go from just above the widest part of the forehead (the widest part would be the eyebrows themselves) to the "bump" area at the back of the head, where the occipital bone has a bit of a protrusion. From there the hat can be tilted.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Jeff, I just realized that the solution to the fit question may be very simple.
I looked through your old photos of you wearing the VS Midnite and from the looks of it, the hat sat lower then than it does now. Confirm or deny?
If so, it would be only natural. When a conformed hat is worn only rarely and sits in the box the rest of the time, the leather sweat will draw in very slightly over time. A bandblock will remedy that, provided the fit was good in the first place. I've got bandblocks for most of my VS hats and also use them for the vintage hats according to rotation. When you wear a conformed hat regularly and put it on a bandblock in between wearings, the hat will finally be perfectly broken in and feel like a soft glove. Then you won't need the bandblock for some time.

Edit: Here's one of the bandblocks. Think of it as the equivalent to shoes trees.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice! That may in fact be it! My hair is longer now too, and grows fairly thick. Currently the hat sits right on that bone protrusion, and I think it's more comfortable just below it. I'll send Art a message about the band block. The other solution is... I have too many hats! I better make sure to wear my favorites more often!

The crown does taper a bit on the sides toward the top, definitely not a 52, and Ole's right on-- I meant a diamond crease with a dome in the middle so my thoughts have room to develop. ;)

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nice! That may in fact be it! My hair is longer now too, and grows fairly thick. Currently the hat sits right on that bone protrusion, and I think it's more comfortable just below it. I'll send Art a message about the band block. The other solution is... I have too many hats! I better make sure to wear my favorites more often!

The crown does taper a bit on the sides toward the top, definitely not a 52, and Ole's right on-- I meant a diamond crease with a dome in the middle so my thoughts have room to develop. ;)

You're right, hair is quite a factor there. The area where the sweatband sits is critical, obviously. I must say, a traditional taper cut (or an undercut, if one feels like it) with longer hair on top, short sides and short back simply feels great when you put a hat on. Nevertheless, the bandblock alone should do the trick.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Jeff, I just realized that the solution to the fit question may be very simple.
I looked through your old photos of you wearing the VS Midnite and from the looks of it, the hat sat lower then than it does now. Confirm or deny?
If so, it would be only natural. When a conformed hat is worn only rarely and sits in the box the rest of the time, the leather sweat will draw in very slightly over time. A bandblock will remedy that, provided the fit was good in the first place. I've got bandblocks for most of my VS hats and also use them for the vintage hats according to rotation. When you wear a conformed hat regularly and put it on a bandblock in between wearings, the hat will finally be perfectly broken in and feel like a soft glove. Then you won't need the bandblock for some time.

Edit: Here's one of the bandblocks. Think of it as the equivalent to shoes trees.

Are those handmade or can they be bought?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
CC - the bandblocks can be purchased from Art at a very reasonable price. I have one and it is always in one or other of my hats.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, you have to use Art's conformer to get one made. Not sure if this is still the case, but it used to be possible to get the block without being one of his hat customers. He'd just charge a refundable deposit on the conformer as an incentive to send it back.

You can always give him a holler to see if he still does it.

Don.Nicholas

New in Town
hey Rabbit are all your hats VS hats, I say because I find myself drooling at the hats posted by all the member pictures in this thread but you have a good number of pictures so if you don't mind I must ask

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran