Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Nice Black cherry & ribbon work. good outdoor pics show the color well ,,,,,

I really like the 2 Pandoras on the previous page as well
nice ones Gamez & David !

DJH

I'll Lock Up
If I recall correctly, Art's Joey felt is a blend of rabbit and nutria fur.

His site refers to it as "a blend" but doesn't provide more detail.

gimebakmybulits

Familiar Face
Did someone say semi-caledo VS?

D31_8274-L.jpg

Toquilla straw is my favorite and this is probably the most beautiful one I've ever laid eyes on. DJH, you are a lucky man and Art is truly the master at bringing the work of the weavers to the next level. This one just screams "Range Rover", love it!!

barrowjh

One Too Many
I will weigh in on Joey being a name for hare/rabbit fur blend. DJH - you are correct in that it is a blend. Those of us that have toured the Winchester felting operation have seen the bales of raw fur fiber and there is at least one (if not two) grades of European hare and a grade or two of rabbit that go into various blends. The felt is always a blend - it simply felts better, stronger, when there is a blend. This has always been true - Stetson's 1950's grades of 'Royal' and 'Royal Deluxe' were different blends of hare/rabbit; I think the European hare is higher grade than rabbit so the Royal Deluxe was probably more heavily weighted to hare than the Royal. Beaver Brand had two blends of hare/rabbit (at least) - their 2007 catalog had a 5X, 8X, 10X, and a 20X fur felt, and the 20X was advertised as having 20% beaver content. I doubt the 10, 8, or 5X had any beaver content at all. The felter and the hatter both keep the exact blend contents a secret.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I will weigh in on Joey being a name for hare/rabbit fur blend. DJH - you are correct in that it is a blend. Those of us that have toured the Winchester felting operation have seen the bales of raw fur fiber and there is at least one (if not two) grades of European hare and a grade or two of rabbit that go into various blends. The felt is always a blend - it simply felts better, stronger, when there is a blend. This has always been true - Stetson's 1950's grades of 'Royal' and 'Royal Deluxe' were different blends of hare/rabbit; I think the European hare is higher grade than rabbit so the Royal Deluxe was probably more heavily weighted to hare than the Royal. Beaver Brand had two blends of hare/rabbit (at least) - their 2007 catalog had a 5X, 8X, 10X, and a 20X fur felt, and the 20X was advertised as having 20% beaver content. I doubt the 10, 8, or 5X had any beaver content at all. The felter and the hatter both keep the exact blend contents a secret.

Thx. Thats nice to kno. I'td b even nicer to kno who and what.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thx. Thats nice to kno. I'td b even nicer to kno who and what.

Barrowjh is right completely Bob, that is why I call it a "blend" even though it is essentially just rabbit ( albeit different regions). I'm not sure knowing the exact ratio would help the consumer distinguish between hatters because there is so much more than that that goes into the hat but it sure would help the hatters trying to catch up with the leaders. Slight adds or subtracts DO make a difference in the felt which also helps down the line as I'm sure you know.
Now, can anyone offer a source for Jackalope hair? Sounds like it might add the "steel wool" affect to the felt..

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Barrowjh is right completely Bob, that is why I call it a "blend" even though it is essentially just rabbit ( albeit different regions). I'm not sure knowing the exact ratio would help the consumer distinguish between hatters because there is so much more than that that goes into the hat but it sure would help the hatters trying to catch up with the leaders. Slight adds or subtracts DO make a difference in the felt which also helps down the line as I'm sure you know.
Now, can anyone offer a source for Jackalope hair? Sounds like it might add the "steel wool" affect to the felt..

Thank you Art for that distinction. The source of "Jakalope" hare (pun intended ) is a closely guarded trade secret...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo