Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lawman, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Art Fawcett

Art Fawcett Sponsoring Affiliate

WOW!!!! Two years and still happy with it!!! Thank you WC. This is what we tell people but it's good to hear the feedback.
    Happy New Year

wcbrown likes this.
  2. oak1971

oak1971 Familiar Face

I was lucky enough to get a hat made from one of these bodies. Can't recommend it enough. How often can you get a new hat made with 1950's felt to your specs? Just do it.

Michael R. likes this.
  3. Luis

Luis One of the Regulars

Guys,

For my Granite colored VS, what other color combos can I wear besides charcoal?

Thanks

4. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

why not wear whatever looks good to you in the mirror ?

you looking for rules of some sort ?

I have a couple general rules ... but it's not 1950 :)

I usually don't wear many browns with grays ... sometimes I do when the mirror tells me it is ok

other than that I feel grays can go with anything ... especially black, dark greens , some blues, ... even red... and pink looks great if you are so bold

very versatile color

to my eyes the only occasional enemy of granite and grays is brown ... not always ... but often

Bob Roberts likes this.
  5. Luis

Luis One of the Regulars

It just seems a bit tougher color to pull off. But weren't a lot of people in the 30s through 50s wearing hat colors that didn't even match most times?? as to purchase another hat just for color sake was a burden on their pocket book for most? Just basing it off movies I've been watching on TCM.
    Yes, I agree that some browns don't mesh well. Just wanted to get some ideas.

So as you mentioned that granite is a gray shade, then It could probably paired with almost anything then?
    I did wear a purple shirt one time and it did go quite well. I'm sure a yellow shirt too.
    I'm really tempted to swap out the ribbon to black. Do you think that would get it more versatility?

granite-black ribbon vs ligher.jpg

6. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

I like the ribbon you have

the black on gray is much more traditional ... it may casual it out a bit ... but I think you should stick with what is there ... I dig it

in my eyes you could literally wear anything from canary yellow to black and everything in between with that hat aside from some browns .... that is just me though

but even brown sometimes looks great

check these shoes out

https://www.jackthreads.com/jtedit/2014/12/15/gray-goes-with-everything

Michael R. and Frunobulax like this.
  7. Luis

Luis One of the Regulars

I think the ribbon throws me off, its like a gray on another gray, but that is fine.
    Ok, so if my granite VS is of the gray family, then it should be easier to pair with colors as you say.

Might I add it does go great with my black coats.
    Thanks for the help.

8. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

ribbons without much contrast to the hat is very common ... especially in vintage

that is a very nice hat ... I think you should feel free to wear it with anything and everything

Michael R. likes this.
  9. Luis

Luis One of the Regulars

Thanks for clearing that up about the ribbon contrast. I have actually gotten quite a few compliments on it.
    I owe it to Art for crafting such a beautiful hat that is very robust and durable.
    The next one I have in mind is a blue smoke.

10. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

FWIW, my eyes have always interpreted the Granite felt as a warm gray, leaning me more towards browns than other, cooler or neutral grays. However, the versatility of granite will give you lots and lots of flexibility. It's earthiness offers a wide, err, no, HUGE choice of other tones to work with. Be confident, Luis! That's a sweet enough lid that it's really difficult to go wrong; impossible to look bad!

11. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I wholeheartedly agree with Moon about the mirror. That color with certain browns could work very well: over Christmas I was watching my complete collection of the Bertie Wooster and Jeeves series and was once again astounded by the clothes. In a number of episodes Bertie is decked out (by Jeeves, of course) in gray suits with brown shoes and fedoras. Really "smashing", particularly the tweeds. Also, I can't help wanting to throw in one more suggestion: that hat is crying out for a navy blue suit!

12. Luis

Luis One of the Regulars

Thanks guys!
    hatsRme,i can alwayappreciate a confidence booster as I am bit color blind. Sometimes my wife has to make an approval before I go walking around like a goofball.

Tropicalbob,
    That's exactly what I was gonna post. I held it up to one of my dark navy suits and it looked great with it. I think the wife said it didn't match well so I held off for wearing it on my bday, but I don't think she knows the power of the navy.

13. Luis

Luis One of the Regulars

20160111_211223.jpg 20160111_211209.jpg Navy pinstripe

14. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

6 years and still over-joyed! Best hats on the planet![​IMG]

15. kaosharper1

kaosharper1 One Too Many

I'm with you. Granite has brownish undertones and so looks good with earthtones and purple. It looks poor with blue. That's why I picked up my blue smoke jazzman.

16. bradlon727

bradlon727 New in Town

image.jpeg image.jpeg Here is y new Artlite in coyote. Love it.

17. Lincsong

Lincsong I'll Lock Up

bump

18. EliasRDA

EliasRDA One of the Regulars

Luis,
    You can certainly pull off almost any shade of purple, I do it when I wear my Stetson & its almost the exact same shade. I just don't wear my Stetson enough though anymore as I normally wear my VS Black Cherry.
    But I've paired them both with darker greys, purple, black, dk green, sky blue, even a pinkish berry striped shirt. I cant comment on reds (outside that pinkish purplish color), oranges, or yellows as I do not wear those colors, nor do I own any browns really. And I've not tried wearing a tan linen suit with a felt hat, didn't think it would look right.

But if you profess to being a bit color blind & you trust your wives taste then outside the navy blue suit I would go with what she thinks, happy wife happy marriage & all that. ;)
    I've found that many women know more about colors & styles than I could ever hope too, hence I ask their opinion on things like that. :D

19. Art Fawcett

Art Fawcett Sponsoring Affiliate

Thank you Peter, it's good to hear from you again.

20. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

Some of the old painted Stetson ads had men wearing tan suits or sport jackets with charcoal gray hats. Looked sharp. I've worn my charcoal Borsalino with a tan jacket, and with a brown tweed jacket; and I thought I looked fine.