Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
seed said:
Steam works fine and is pure water. If you decide to use water, use distilled to avoid any sort of fading from the chlorine in tap.

Yes, please dont iron it. Not that it couldnt be done by skilled hands, but distilled water from a spray bottle is pretty much foolproof. Spray down the part(s) you want to change and get your hands going. Itll work great.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Sargon said:
The color is Pecan and I didn't have any particular motivation other than Arts other good works. The brim is 2.5 inches and I left in in his hands. It has no model name. I think tomorrow I will re-bash it with tighter lines. To avoid the "memory" the felt has I believe I'll wet it down with water unless anyone has a better suggestion. I'll probably iron the front of the brim to curve down a little too.

Here's a tip Sargon, don't put the iron directly on the brim if you use one. Instead, find a cylinder like a Pringles can or rolling pin, steam the front of the brim lightly, then hold it down over the can till cool. It should safely do what you want.

Topdog

Familiar Face
Jabos said:
"snip"
Art's hats would be worth double the price but shhhhhh, please don't let him know that!;) Get it and you will love it.

Jabos,

maybe you should just send Art double payments for your hats so that he can remain affordable for the rest of us. :eusa_clap

seriously, Art does a wonderful job and his prices allow us to experience the quality of earlier days.

Thanks Art!!!!

Sargon

Familiar Face
Somewhere on this forum I believe I saw someone recommend placing a t-shirt or a towel over the brim and ironing over that. I didn't mean to worry anyone, I would never place a hot iron directly on a hat.

tortswon

Practically Family
New Art for Spring

This hat arrived a while back but it has been so cold and rainy here in the City of Brotherly Love that I could not wear it until Friday. This is a light weight, unlined hat from Art that will go with about anything color-wise. The color is Mojave. It is light weight enough to wear on all but the hottest summer day.

The ribbon treatment is simple, milk chocolate brown with a white stripe. Thanks, Art! Best, Sam

PS My wife finally got a new camera so I will be posting some more photos over the next several days of earlier acquisitions including the great Whippet for Gun Club saga involving Carter and me from a few months ago. Stay tuned.

Diamond bash:

Ribbon closeup:

kaosharper1

One Too Many
VS Dingus with MK Dingus

After my pathetic attempts to photograph The Dingus I thought I'd try again, this time with the MK repro of the actual Dingus. So here they are:

DSCN1527.jpg

DSCN1528.jpg

DSCN1530.jpg

DSCN1529.jpg

Thanks again, Art, for a great hat. Hope you don't mind the name.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
RBH said:
I agree... :D
That hat has some fine lines to it!
Great job and super fedora!!!

Thanks. I found that the 6" crown is important to getting the lines right. The shallow dents are there because the bash is so deep. The dents are above the top of the crown. That gives it the look along with the tight pinch that Bogie likes. Also, lightweight felt works best since I'm sure that's what he had being here in LA.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
kaosharper1 said:
After my pathetic attempts to photograph The Dingus I thought I'd try again, this time with the MK repro of the actual Dingus. So here they are:

DSCN1530.jpg

DSCN1529.jpg

Thanks again, Art, for a great hat. Hope you don't mind the name.

I dont know if I said it before but Ill say it now (or again): that is a superb-looking hat.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
tortswon said:
This hat arrived a while back but it has been so cold and rainy here in the City of Brotherly Love that I could not wear it until Friday. This is a light weight, unlined hat from Art that will go with about anything color-wise. The color is Mojave. It is light weight enough to wear on all but the hottest summer day.

The ribbon treatment is simple, milk chocolate brown with a white stripe. Thanks, Art! Best, Sam

PS My wife finally got a new camera so I will be posting some more photos over the next several days of earlier acquisitions including the great Whippet for Gun Club saga involving Carter and me from a few months ago. Stay tuned.

Great hat! Congrats. Now, don't go gettin' any cheesesteak juice on it!

tortswon

Practically Family
Cheesesteak juice?

Thanks for the advice, Mr. Lucky. I seldom eat cheesesteaks while standing on my head so it should not be too much of a problem. Now soft pretzels with mustard would be a concern were it not for the anti-mustard force field that Art added at no additional charge. Best, Sam

tortswon

Practically Family
Right you are, Tom

Tom, I have to agree after looking at the photo. The felt on this hat is so soft, that I have to make a conscious effort to straighten the crease when I put it in the noggin'. It shifts when I try to put it on at an angle. I'm used to a stiffer felt. Thanls for the good advice. Best, Sam

vonwotan

Practically Family
Art's latest work - I'm at a loss for words

The photos don't do it justice but I couldn't wait to show off Art's latest creation. Better still, the weather may accomodate me tomorrow so I can get better shots in the natural light.

3484856362_d99b001e14.jpg

3484856462_03b6c3426c.jpg

3484856496_e6358b95eb.jpg

By the way - it has a wonderful purple liner!

univibe88

One Too Many
vonwotan said:
The photos don't do it justice but I couldn't wait to show off Art's latest creation. Better still, the weather may accomodate me tomorrow so I can get better shots in the natural light.

3484856362_d99b001e14.jpg

3484856462_03b6c3426c.jpg

3484856496_e6358b95eb.jpg

By the way - it has a wonderful purple liner!

Looks great! What color is the felt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran