Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

vonwotan

Practically Family
I'm hoping to have better pictures this afternoon. The color is Steel, the crown is 5 1/2" and the brim is 2 1/8". The ribbon is also in dark grey, a thinner 1 1/4" ribbon, with a hint of lighter grey in the knot. And the feather is a wonderful new touch by Art.

When I spoke with Art, we discussed making something smaller in scale like a trilby, in steel grey with one of those great purple liners, but I've had good luck giving Art an idea and a free hand.

NB - Given the quality of Art's work I'm sure I'd be happy if he went entirely off script, ignored my suggestions and just made up whatever tickled his fancy.

This hat came out much better than I could have imagined. The crown shape, the dimensions, the ribbon, etc. all came together to produce something far finer than the typical trilby.

Mother nature is cooperating today so I will be wearing this latest creation with a favorite grey three piece suit when I go in to town for our mid-day meeting and for our dinner tonight.

EDIT
My apologies for the delay, we were a bit distracted by two young women who invited themselves to join our table at a late lunch. I received many questions about my hat and my suit - I hope I did my tailor, Art and hatmakers the world over justice with my responses. It turns out that both women are aspiring designers, one with an interest in textiles and the other hoping to design wardrobes. That said, I only managed one decent picture of my hat when I arrived home... This one is better for the colors.

3487288484_6a7d077832.jpg

kaosharper1 said:
Great! But we need details! Brim, crown, color, etc.

tortswon

Practically Family
My new pork pie from Art

I purchased my first pork pie several weeks ago from Ande1964. It was a Johnnyphi special, a Crosby pork pie in brown from Adam. I really liked the way it looked on me and so did my wife and a number of other significant women in my life. I was in line for my next work of Art and when he called to ask what I wanted, I told him a black pork pie with a dark red ribbon. The rest was up to him. It arrived today. The vital statistics, brim 2 1/2", crown, 4".

187_8800.jpg

188_8801.jpg

Ribbon detail:

188_8802.jpg

Bash detail:

188_8803.jpg

I am totally happy with this hat and appreciative of Art's ability to produce such a wonderful item at a reasonable price.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
So I got a message from Art the other day. He told me that my latest hat was finished, but that he was planning a trip to Salt Lake City that week. He wondered if I would be interested in having a personal delivery. Naturally I jumped at the oppurtunity to meet Art face to face. So yesterday afternoon, I stopped at JW hats in Salt Lake, where Art was spending some time. We had a very nice chat, and it was such a pleasure to just sit and talk with Art about this and that. This being a world wide community, it was so enjoyable to actually meet face to face and talk. Plus Art is such a neat person to talk to.

What was also great was being able to recieve my latest hat from Art. I told him I wanted a Trackside model in Whiskey colored felt, with a dark brown band.

This is an awesome hat. Some of you may know I have sold some of my hats, so I am down to 2 from Art, and 2 from JW (one of which I don't really wear, I just can't get it to work for me). The other Art work is a few pages back, a chocolate colored Whippet reproduction, which I love. I'm pretty sure this hat has a 5 1/2" crown, but it has a deeper bash, so it is shorter. The pictures look a little fish eyed, so the hat looks even shorter than it really is, or maybe my head really is that big (????)

My wife instantly fell in love with it, which is saying something. So without further ado...

HPIM1558.jpg

HPIM1559.jpg

HPIM1561.jpg

and on my blurry mug
HPIM1566.jpg

HPIM1568.jpg

Thanks again Art. I think this hat will get a lot of wear this spring and summer. It's a great color for wear with my regularly worn khakis.

tortswon

Practically Family
It's a beauty 1911 Man. There's nothing like putting on a new art hat for the first time is there? You're lucky to have met Art. Maybe I'll ask him to deliver my next purchase. Wear it well! Best, Sam

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very sharp, 1911. The whiskey color looks quite a bit lighter than my sample. The hat looks great on you. And it must have been quite a pleasure to meet the man who made it for you and shake his hand to thank him for it.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Thanks guys
Tortswon, you must have added your post while I was typing mine, it wasn't there when I started. That is a great porkpie, I especially like the ribbon contrast with the felt color. Very sharp.

BTW, Art told me an interesting story about that little splash of color he puts in the bow of his ribbons, like a signature. I won't retell it, in case he doesn't want the story out there, but I will definitely request it on my next hat ;) .

Unfortunately, since I have already bought two of his hats this year, it will probably not be until next year I buy my next hat. I'm thinking Blue Smoke.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
I've had this one for a little while, but haven't gotten around to posting any photos of it, since I've been busy wearing it. :D

525314025_vAfFT-M.jpg

525315650_qAwaz-M.jpg

525314988_3ow9Y-M.jpg

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
tortswon said:
I purchased my first pork pie several weeks ago from Ande1964. It was a Johnnyphi special, a Crosby pork pie in brown from Adam. I really liked the way it looked on me and so did my wife and a number of other significant women in my life. I was in line for my next work of Art and when he called to ask what I wanted, I told him a black pork pie with a dark red ribbon. The rest was up to him. It arrived today. The vital statistics, brim 2 1/2", crown, 4".

188_8803.jpg

I am totally happy with this hat and appreciative of Art's ability to produce such a wonderful item at a reasonable price.

Another great hat! I like the colors and the cut. Alright, maybe, just maybe, it's time for me to shell out some bucks to ol' Art. Damn it.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Love that whiskey color!

1911 Man: That is a beautiful hat from Art. I love the whiskey color and the Trackside design is great. Your hat is on my list to have copied by Art!!! :)

MattJH

One Too Many
It's heeeeeeere! It took a little over two months from start to finish. I have a date log at home that I'll post later on for those curious. Only now do I know what it feels like to wear a hat that fits perfectly. It turns out that I'm a 7 5/8 between regular and long oval, so I'm "slightly long oval." This is good to know, and explains why 7 3/4 hats seem to fit me better than 7 5/8 hats.

What I told Art was that I wanted a lightweight felt hat that is as casual as casual can be, and that I wanted an incorporation of an earth-tone orange somewhere on the ribbon, but I wanted it to be subtle rather than flashy.

The felt is Natural. The crown is 5 3/8", the brim is 2 1/2" with an underwelt, and the ribbon is 1". The leather sweatband is personalized with my initials, and the hat is unlined.

My digital camera is severely outdated, and the quality of these photographs reflects that. My apologies to Art for doing his hat a disservice, but I wanted to show it.

I am very impressed. This will likely be my only hat from Vintage Silhouettes, and it fits the bill exactly as I had hoped that it would. Take note that the hatbox Art uses is now the best quality hatbox I own, finally surpassing my four Brooks Brothers hatboxes. It's sturdy and looks great.

01-VS.jpg

03-VS.jpg

04-VS.jpg

05-VS.jpg

06-VS.jpg

07-VS.jpg

08-VS.jpg

09-VS.jpg

10-VS.jpg

11-VS.jpg

Macheath

One of the Regulars
It's a beaut, MattJH. We've been nearly as anxious as you have been to see the end product.

I was pulling for the underwelt, and I really like that you went with a finished brim that isn't bound.

tortswon

Practically Family
Congratulations!

Matt, congratulations on your new hat. A lot are popping up here in the last 24 hours. Art must have been busy (maybe he needed money for all the taxes he has to pay getting rich off of us! :D ). Enjoy! Best, Sam

PS Give me a call to set up a meet before Leonard a week from Tuesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran