Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Lloyd

A-List Customer
green hats for Neophyte

Neophyte, if you are looking for green hats from Art here's a side by side of my forest and dark moss hats.
Also check earlier posts in this thread and on the Green Machine

VSforestJune12010wdarkmoss.jpg

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Jabos said:
I recall posting some time ago on this thread something to the effect of "The masses want oxblood" (referring to the Public Enemies hat color) and Art has now come through.

I'm pretty sure this is still a different color from Optimo Oxblood based on conversations with Art and from pictures... But its close enough for me.

As for Optimo, i think they are awesome. I just happen to like Art, his work is magnificent. I like the fact that he fits the hats using a conformer, and I already had one hat done by him, AND his price is very reasonable. I may get an Optimo someday but it sounds like i need to go to Chicago and visit to get the best fit.

(Oh and he's a real nice guy too. down to Earth, and willing to talk details with me even though I'm a newb in hats, which i really appreciate!)

So far every hat i have bought that wasn't custom made has not fit my weird noggin! Either they have to spend time in the Hat-Jack, or are too big and.. well.. thats just a problem...

Lloyd

A-List Customer
black cherry vs oxblood

I'm holding my oxblood in my hand and looking at this picture in this funny monsoonal So Cal light they look almost the same to me at least
A little more red in the oxblood, a little more black in the black cherry
Art, can I get a sample of the black cherry when you ship my new hat?

Mushashi's black cherry
4798376486_56153cc6cf_b.jpg

My oxblood
CloseUpofVSOxbloodonZeppelin.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Absolutely Lloyd, I can cut up the first example of Musashi's hat. You have it nailed on color though. less red & more black than Oxblood. To my eye it's about 4 shades blacker than Oxblood

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:
Absolutely Lloyd, I can cut up the first example of Musashi's hat. You have it nailed on color though. less red & more black than Oxblood. To my eye it's about 4 shades blacker than Oxblood

:eek: Cut it up??? :eek:

Can't I use it as a stunt hat? Put a bullet hole thru the flaws? Open a VS outlet store in TX ??

Kidding , but wow... Cutting it up

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Masterpiece!!!!

My wife was home at lunch today when the mail carrier brought this!!!!!! Since I am leaving for vacation Sunday I was sure I would not be able to see my work of Art till I returned!!!! I have clearly found favor with the provider!!

I am not sure how Art does it but I didn't give him a whole lot of direction and was concerned that I hadn't made myself clear when explaining to Art what I wanted ... when I pulled it out of the box I realized it was exactly what I wanted ... heck I didn't even know exactly what I wanted but this is it!!! Its creepy if you as me :eek: almost like he has some form of ESP!!! What a beautiful hat!!!! For those that have one of Arts masterpieces know that it is hard to explain the quality level ... it far exceeds my expectations and they were set pretty high from this forum!! I forgot to tell him to punch my initials in the sweat ... but low and behold it arrived with my initials punched in it!

Here are the specs.

Pecan color
2.5" brim length
not sure about the ribbon and binding color .... just enough different to be perfect. With a powder blue pointed hi light in the stacked bow!
Crown height 4.25"

Thanks Art ... its perfect!!
BTW excuse he sweaty red faced guy in the picture ... heat index is 104 today and not conducive to wearing felt!! Can't wait till the heat breaks!

Kk
IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_4000.jpg

hat-1.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kkaderly said:
My wife was home at lunch today when the mail carrier brought this!!!!!! Since I am leaving for vacation Sunday I was sure I would not be able to see my work of Art till I returned!!!! I have clearly found favor with the provider!!

I am not sure how Art does it but I didn't give him a whole lot of direction and was concerned that I hadn't made myself clear when explaining to Art what I wanted ... when I pulled it out of the box I realized it was exactly what I wanted ... heck I didn't even know exactly what I wanted but this is it!!! Its creepy if you as me :eek: almost like he has some form of ESP!!! What a beautiful hat!!!! For those that have one of Arts masterpieces know that it is hard to explain the quality level ... it far exceeds my expectations and they were set pretty high from this forum!! I forgot to tell him to punch my initials in the sweat ... but low and behold it arrived with my initials punched in it!

Here are the specs.

Pecan color
2.5" brim length
not sure about the ribbon and binding color .... just enough different to be perfect. With a powder blue pointed hi light in the stacked bow!
Crown height 4.25"

Thanks Art ... its perfect!!
BTW excuse he sweaty red faced guy in the picture ... heat index is 104 today and not conducive to wearing felt!! Can't wait till the heat breaks!

Kk
hat-1.jpg
Looks good. BTW I am a fan of fedoras and collared shirts, as you have it there--just think it looks better. Let the brickbats fly.

Jabos

A-List Customer
KK, That is a sweet looking hat. A real one of a kind ribbon. Too bad you get it in a heat wave!!! Oh, well, September isn't that far away for us.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Nice Hat!

Kkaderly said:
IMG_3986.jpg

Really Nice! I like it. I'm going to have to think up something original and one of a kind for Art to pull off next time. That ribbon work is sharp and I love the binding. I'm definitely going for bound edge next time as well. I think it 'flows' with the design when you have a complex ribbon. Very nice. Looks like the color is chameleon-like depending on the lighting.

Jeff

Musashi

One of the Regulars
kaosharper1 said:
The Black Cherry looks great, and actually looks closer to the Optimo oxblood than the VS oxblood, or is that my imagination? BC looks a like it has a little more black in it. Love it.

The proportions look great, as usual. What are they?

Thanks for the compliments. Sorry i didnt have a tape measure handy until today so i couldn't give an answer to this.

SPECS:

Color: Black Cherry
Band: 1 5/8" Maroon (i THINK that = 22 ligne)
Brim: 2.5"
Crown height UNbashed: 5" (approx.)
Crown height as bashed: 4 5/8" at highest point

The band and the black cherry color have an interesting relationship, in some lighting they look near identical, but Id say theres more red hue in the band and less black.

Also, my wife commented that the hat looks purple to her. which is an effect i saw with Optimo oxblood as well, so I was prepared for that and happy with how it turned out! its definitely on the RED side of purple. if so. and on the quite DARK side as well. Its a nice deep DARK hat without being either black or charcoal.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
What IS this Black Cherry?

Sorry if i am overdoing this thread tonight, but I'm just really into it, and i thought i'd try to provide some useful info.

So what does the new black cherry color look like compared to the other colors? Here's a photo guide cause i am BORED tonight:

Black Cherry Brim with the other color samples on top: Black cherry may look slightly darker due to shadows.

4803870964_cf4e67a682.jpg

4803870924_1414e3db30.jpg

4803871124_b3012750ea.jpg

4803871086_23ef85afdc.jpg

4803240261_82c71dc1f4.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think I've ever seen Art's color selection before. That dark moss is a beautiful color. I'm liking this thread more and more every day. That's saying something after over 3,000 posts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner