Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Kkaderly, beautiful hat! Great color combinations.

I know this is trivial and when wearing the hat nobody sees it but I think the red liners really add to the elegance of the hat. Just yesterday I was at my doctor's office and was wearing my silverbelly lightweight with the red liner in it. My doctor complimented my hat and I took it off so he could look at it. When he turned it over and saw the red liner his eyes widened and his comment was "Wow, that is beautiful.".

I'm really excited about the red liner. Your right when you take it off it just steps the elegance up a notch and gives it that "Wow" feeling. Even people who don't know hats immediately know it isn't your average hat.

I'm really excited about the red liner. Your right when you take it off it just steps the elegance up a notch and gives it that "Wow" feeling. Even people who don't know hats immediately know it isn't your average hat.
Art's purple liner looks great in a Blue Smoke hat too. His green liner in a Pecan body is just as "Wow" inducing.
That red one really pops in Silverbelly & Natural...

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks KK and Thank you Gentlemen. If we can't have fun with the colors and liners, why bother!! Boy, this thread jump 5 pages since I was here last. Eric, the SB photographs well, KK, I'm so glad you like that combo. Has anyone figured out yet that burgundy is a favorite of mine? Right Che? Geese, with that much Panache I'll have to start making your hats bigger Sir. LOL I love this!!!

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Just arrived, a new VS masterpiece! This hat is a bit different fom the others I've ordered from Art. First, this is the narrowest brim, at 2". Not quite stingy, but quite a modest width. Also, this is the first raw-edge brim I've ordered from Art. All the others have been bound. My inspiration for this hat was the classic English racing trilby; I wanted something that could pass a bit more unobtrusively than the Stratoliner style which I like so much. I wanted something like the hat worn by James Bond in the early movies:

BrownTrilby.png

Dr-No_Sean-Connery_Jamica_grey-suit-trilby-front_bmp.jpg

Trilby.png

I told Art that I didn't want a dinky, tapered-up crown like those found on modern, production trilbies. So, here's the hat; I think Art did a knock-out job on it. The color is black cherry; it seems like a very versatile color that will go well with grays, blues, and greens. Perhaps not so much with brown or yellowish-tan.
IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Trilbyon1.jpg

Trilbyon2.jpg

Thanks, Art!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Just arrived, a new VS masterpiece! This hat is a bit different fom the others I've ordered from Art. First, this is the narrowest brim, at 2". Not quite stingy, but quite a modest width. Also, this is the first raw-edge brim I've ordered from Art. All the others have been bound. My inspiration for this hat was the classic English racing trilby; I wanted something that could pass a bit more unobtrusively than the Stratoliner style which I like so much. I wanted something like the hat worn by James Bond in the early movies:
Trilbyon2.jpg

Thanks, Art!

Jauntyone; A bit different is an understatment. It is very different. :)Not bad, just very different. But never say never to a racing trilby. Your new cherry felted trilby is the reason we should consider ordering one from Art Fawcett. Sharp looking hat with your outfit sir. If you report that women respond to you like the indominatable James Bond when wearing the trilby, I am ordering a bunch!

J, you wear your hats with panache. The thin ribbon Strat-like hats you have show-cased on this thread are not unobtrusive, but they are neither gaudy. I say "styling." Styling with the Strat-like or your new jaunty racing trilby. My Fred Astaire quote, signature line works in regards to this hat (Be yourself—but don't be conspicuous).- not unduly conspicuous.

Waiting for the "Bond women" report, Eric-

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good evening folks. Considering Silverbelly or Bluesmoke felt?

I wanted to update this thread with pics of my Art Fawcett, VS Executive's in the different felt colors. These hats took inspiration from my Adam Pacesetter Executives. The orginal hats were from the late 40's and early 50's. Art nailed the hat characteristics. Having a beaver felt, vintage ribbon, perfectly fitted, with quality leather band and artisian craftsmanship is a luxury that I truly appreciate.

When I was considering the color of felt I poured over the wealth of pics on this thread. I copied pics of the different hats into like colored folders to my desktop. From the folders, I re-viewed the pics and the color variations. Fortunately I did this on a long plane flight and had time to really study the details of the shots and the colors that the pics show-cased. Silverbelly and bluesmoke felts took some effort to get a handle on. Thanks to all of the folks who generousely post up pics of their beloved and prized hats.

Bluesmoke and Silverbelly Executives are in the pic below. I took the pic when a cloud passed over on today's semi-cloudy humid 77'F afternoon.
IMG2533-L.jpg

Silverbelly and Bluesmoke in the below pic. This pic was minutes after the above when for a brief moment the clouds opened to let partial sun through.

IMG2534-L.jpg

The two shots really showsome of the color variations that can occur with these two felts. Todays weather was perfect for capturing these changes.

The spectacular purple insides are the same but different in the different felts.

IMG2535-L.jpg

I hope this helps folks who are considering VS silverbelly and bluesmoke felts.

Best, Eric -

Oh yes I almost forgot, a head shot of the silverbelly.....

IMG2539-L.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful images, Eric. On my screen the pics show a slight shift to the warm side of the color temperature spectrum.
The even lighting conditions show off the ribbon work very nicely.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful images, Eric. On my screen the pics show a slight shift to the warm side of the color temperature spectrum.
The even lighting conditions show off the ribbon work very nicely.

I agree Rabbit. As I see them now they are just a little warmer than the felt is. Not a ton, but warmer. I am home now and my MacBook shows the pics a tad bit warm. My Canon camera and lense, downloaded to Iphoto, uploaded to SmugMug are without any alterations. The "warmth" came from my devices or digital chain. Boy howdy I thought I had it nailed. Today's weather, slightly overcast with threatening showers provides some real accurate lighting conditions outside. Inside pics, without special lighting just does not come close enough for my eyes.

The above said, the pics in my post are really darn close for forum folks looking at Art's felt swatches.

Eric -

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Eric Mighty Nice Pics !
I have a folder of VS pics saved as well for reference, I also have a seperate folder just for Rabbits pics.
these are just Android phone pics best i can do but i have fun doing it.
Weather was Forgiving today so perfect to enjoy my VS Art-Lite Sahara.
232323232%7Ffp63578%3Enu%3D3566%3E392%3E646%3E265739273725%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp63559%3Enu%3D3566%3E392%3E63%3A%3E265739272%3B25%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp6356%3A%3Enu%3D3566%3E392%3E644%3E265739273525%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp63599%3Enu%3D3566%3E392%3E648%3E265739273925%3Aot1lsi
:cool:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Eric, I agree with you - indoor shots are hard to get right without special setup.

Che, fantastic images. I love how the clothes harmonize with the surroundings. Jacket, trousers, pavements, house - everything illuminated in the pastel shades of the early (or late?) light.

Jauntyone, congrats to the latest addition to your VS collection.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy