Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
How long do VS panamas tend to last? My no-name panama I paid $45 for last year is starting to get holes at the pinch, and I'm trying to figure out how much more you have to pay to get one that will hold up longer.

Do you grab the hat there (the pinch) when putting it on and taking off? If so, NO hat will last forever. Even felt will fatigue and eventually fail at the pinch point if you have that habit. A VS Panama can last as long as any other good Panama, as long as the care rules are followed. Good thing you learned about this with a less expensive hat, right?!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
How long do VS panamas tend to last? My no-name panama I paid $45 for last year is starting to get holes at the pinch, and I'm trying to figure out how much more you have to pay to get one that will hold up longer.

What HatsRme said Shadomega, he is dead on right. What part of SO are you in? Why not just stop by the shop?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I am sure no professional or expert but I do think how a person handles a hat has a lot to do with the hat keeping clean and no finger marks on the crown or "pinch" area of a hat. I do think the average Milan is a lot softer and forgiving then a normal straw hat or panama, but just the same, the tip of a hat is not the place to handle it all the time. When I wear my own Fedora, I will always lightly hold the edges of the brim putting it on and taking it off.

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
What HatsRme said Shadomega, he is dead on right. What part of SO are you in? Why not just stop by the shop?

I believe when I first started wearing it, it's possible I may have gently handled it by the pinch, never "pinching" it, but loosley cradling it. I already knew by then not to excessively handle it by the pinch. Since getting my vintage Stetson Sovereign I've acquired the strong habit of hadling my hat by the brim, either front or back, right up against the hatband where the soft felt is least floppy. I think the holes in my panama are developing more from the few times the hat has been, er, crushed. It hasn't been flattened mind you, but my children have been known to play with my hats when I leave them down where they can reach, and then I find them on the floor with a doll or stuffed animal on top of them... Yet another reason why I am rarely found without my Stetson either on or nearby. Another idea about where they're coming from is that I tend to graze the doorframe of my cars when I get in and out (followed closely by giving the car a piece of my mind about how low the roofs are). It always messes with the pinch on my fedora, so it seems possible it could also be wearing on the more ridgid panama.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask, where is your shop, Art? I'm in the Grants Pass area.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
LOL, panama's aren't indestructible Shado, especially with kids. I'm on old hwy 99 in north Medford. 3534 N. Pacific Hwy. Stop by my website for the phone#. Since I'm " appointment only" at the moment I'd ask you to call first, but I'm here most of the time. Bottom line is that I'm only 1/2 hour away.
Please know that depending on the panama, who made it, how much stiffener is used, what type of stiffener, what creases and blocks are used, ALL make a difference in the wear factor so you can be absolutely correct in your handling and still have an issue. What is being offered here by others are simply good sense guidelines and not meant to be an indictment.

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
LOL, panama's aren't indestructible Shado, especially with kids. I'm on old hwy 99 in north Medford. 3534 N. Pacific Hwy. Stop by my website for the phone#. Since I'm " appointment only" at the moment I'd ask you to call first, but I'm here most of the time. Bottom line is that I'm only 1/2 hour away.
Please know that depending on the panama, who made it, how much stiffener is used, what type of stiffener, what creases and blocks are used, ALL make a difference in the wear factor so you can be absolutely correct in your handling and still have an issue. What is being offered here by others are simply good sense guidelines and not meant to be an indictment.

Thanks, I wasn't taking it as an indictment, nobody knew how I was handling my hat. That's a reasonable point to look into. I did want to clarify something though. It was mentioned about a $45 hat being cheap. I'm poor as a churchmouse, so for me, $45 is an expensive hat. I typically had bought hats for $20 or less, and was fed up with having a slew of hats that didn't look good, didn't feel good, and I didn't want to wear. I used that argument to convince my wife that splurging on a $45 hat would be a worthwhile investment because it would last longer, fit better, and look nicer, and thus get used more. When it starts wearing out a within a year, that makes it very hard for me to push for spending even more money. I would love to come look at your hats, Art, but there is simply no way I'll be able to afford one. My initial question was meant to be more in the line of, does spending more money get you a more durable hat? Is it the finer weave that makes a panama more durable, for which you pay more? Right after I bought my panama last year, my wife pointed out a number of less expensive options availalbe elsewhere that were the softer ones made of, I think, nylon and paper or something like that. I stuck to my guns that those hats look cheap, and mine didn't. The sad thing is, I think those ugly hats would probably have lasted longer than the one I got... Anyway, I have my one truly nice hat, my Sovereign, only because my work was generous with the gift they gave me for my 10 year work anniversary. My next time I can get something that way is in four years when I get to my 15th. Otherwise, my wardrobe and other effects are mostly what I can find for bargains in the used market.

emigran

Practically Family
DIFFERENT SUBJECT : ART

I have 5 VS Customs... I know, I know I haven't posted any photos and I still have that stupid straw stingie in my avatar...Promise this week I will show all of his masterworks...

This post is to openly acknowledge what truly great service one gets from Art Fawcett... each and every time my turn comes up Art avails me of absolute personal detailed and good humored consideration. No matter how much I whine about this nanometer or that he always patiently explains the hows and whys to make my vision come true to exact form...
I tip (all of my) VS Custom to you sir...
Great putting my head in your hands...:eusa_clap

I received more than my share of comments on my VS Milan this week... enough to prompt another display on this thread on behalf of Mr. Fawcett. The pug was an after-thought on my part, but really makes a huge difference. GREAT work, Art!!

Landman

One Too Many
Charlie, your Milan looks great! I get a ton of compliments on mine every time I wear it. I'm getting tired of taking it off so my friends can look at it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart