Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[article] Age appropriate dress for men.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I proudly wear pleated khaki shorts, have for years. I'm in my mid 40s and feel like I've finally reached an age where I can wear aloha/hawaiian whirts without looking like a goof, so by golly I've quit buying polo shirts, and have started buying silk aloha shirts. As long as nobody razzes me for wearing lime green Crocs we're all set.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
davestlouis said:
I proudly wear pleated khaki shorts, have for years. I'm in my mid 40s and feel like I've finally reached an age where I can wear aloha/hawaiian whirts without looking like a goof, so by golly I've quit buying polo shirts, and have started buying silk aloha shirts. As long as nobody razzes me for wearing lime green Crocs we're all set.

Lime green crocs?

aaaa ha ha ha ha ha :D

Just kidding, sorta

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Mr. Chilvers appears to be such a supercilious twit that one must wonder whether he fancies himself as being ironic, or humorous, or polysemic, or something. Can anyone really take this stuff seriously?

You will NEVER see me in Shorts. As far as pants go, I usually wear very dark blue jeans, or very dark blue polyester Aramark Work pants, as the factory supplies them, so I may as put the wear and tear on those pants. I also do wear dark or black dress pants when at the gun store or someplace nice.

davestlouis

Practically Family
AtomicEraTom, I had to smile at the thought of getting dressed up to go to the gun store. I have gone to a gun store on the way home from work,still in a suit, and had the guy behind the counter tell me I'm either a cop of a funeral director...I'm not a cop, but I am in the funeral trade, so he had that part right.

Ha, great story!

I'm not overdressed, just a polo with the store logo, nice slacks, and dress shoes or cowboy boots. I think people are more apt to buy guns from you if you're dressed professionally. My brother sits there in ripped jeans, and a hoodie, and worn out tennis shoes and my dad's in jeans, a wife-beater, and cowboy boots. I always look like I'm running the show haha.

davestlouis said:
AtomicEraTom, I had to smile at the thought of getting dressed up to go to the gun store. I have gone to a gun store on the way home from work,still in a suit, and had the guy behind the counter tell me I'm either a cop of a funeral director...I'm not a cop, but I am in the funeral trade, so he had that part right.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
If you've ever looked at Vice magazine (mouthpiece of hipsterdom) , they love to trash "preternatural man children.." people who dress like kids long after they shouldn't. Low on their list are, naturally, aging raver moms and bottom of the heap, hip hop guys, with their ill fitting sports clothing, crooked baseball hats, and bright clothing with cartoon characters on it. It really is toddler wear, when you think about it.
Their mantra is after 30, you dress like a grown up.

I don't much care for their ironic 80s thrift store fashion tastes, but they have been pretty stylistically influential. If they say it, It might be a good sign western culture could be moving away from grown up babyclothes.

Charlie74

Familiar Face
When I was younger, I usually dressed "older" but as I have aged, my wardrobe is propably more "age appropriate". I do wear shorts. In the Texas heat you have to sometimes in order to survive. Most of my shorts tend to be rather longish. In fact, if the knees were gathered, they could be classified as knickers. I will admit the article or two of "young" clothing but it all depends on the situation as to when and where to wear them

davestlouis

Practically Family
AtomicEraTom, I misunderstood...I thought you were a customer at the store, not the guy behind the counter. The guys at the gunshop I normally visit are a scroungy-looking bunch, especially the old gunsmith who hides out in the back room, tinkering with things. His "uniform" is too-tight short sleeve button-up shirts and old jeans.

grundie

One of the Regulars
The whole fashion industry survives only because it creates rules that far too many people think that they have to obey.

They need us to believe that as we pass certain age 'checkpoints' we must change our style of dress. As we do so, we buy a whole new wardrobe. I don't buy in to this in at all.

Or to put it another way - "Wear what you like and like what you wear."

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I don't know about 'age appropriate' but those shorts he is wearing just look stupid, and they'd still look stupid if he was 10 years younger.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
Lon Chaney jnr wants his 'Phantom Of The Opera' teeth back, Sir Les . . .
Funny, he reminded me of the kind of broken-down nostalgia fans you see in the theater district in New York, only the accent is different and they don't drink (or don't drink enough).
4696249169_73237cf93a_o.png
see this clip

Oh, I'm sorry you misunderstood. I am the guy behind the counter. I always try to convey a very professional look when at work, because every gun store I've ever been in is run by some guy who looks like a Rambo re-enactor.

davestlouis said:
AtomicEraTom, I misunderstood...I thought you were a customer at the store, not the guy behind the counter. The guys at the gunshop I normally visit are a scroungy-looking bunch, especially the old gunsmith who hides out in the back room, tinkering with things. His "uniform" is too-tight short sleeve button-up shirts and old jeans.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty well known to dress "older" these days, I suppose. I wear ties (so far, my small collection of four, are all modern ties) and dress shirts a lot more often than the rest of the family does (not that there's anything wrong with that). I do tend to wear jeans most of the time , and they aren't even very classic looking either; they have those horizontal lines running through the upper end (wrinkles, but they're not pleated jeans), and unfortunately they have had some pre-distressing done to them as well (subtle little cuts around the pockets). They're also not very high rise, more like the lower-end of what's considered medium rise these days. I received these as a gift though, and I intend on wearing them out to do the distressing some justice. I do roll the cuffs sometimes, but admittedly more out of function than style, as they tend to sag if left unattended. I don't ever go out in public without wearing at least a shirt with a collar on it, be it a dress shirt, short-sleeve, polo, or even a denim shirt. I don't usually wear shorts very often either, they're simply not protective enough from the sun's UV rays on a warm day, so I tend to stick with pants instead. When I'm not wearing jeans, I'm usually wearing pleated chinos or slacks. I guess you can say I dress sort of "old," my notion of style is hardly influenced by what kids or other guys my age are wearing nowadays. I take in far more inspiration from the old timers (more often than not, during the prime of their lives rather than very old age), come to think of it.

Since I'm only twenty, do you think my usual outfit sits well, or do you think I dress a little too far over my age?

Jakeman_2001

New in Town
davestlouis said:
Pleated shorts? I don't know . . . I find pleated pants to pretty unflattering unless the guy in them is slim and tall they have a higher rise - then they're somewhat elegant.

It seems that on anything but the same build that pleated shorts only accentuate the unfortunate ballooning effect. You don't tuck in your hawaiian shirts, I hope?:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21