Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[article] Age appropriate dress for men.

Geesie

Practically Family
Don't be such a nancy!
\
zulu1269744996.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lolly_loisides said:
Yes, because racial/cultural stereotypes are horribly offensive & never never funny

462477.jpeg

Whioa! I don't know what's worse - Sir Les or the cop in the tight shorts! lol
Maybe those are Thom Browne shorts . . . lol

Lon Chaney jnr wants his 'Phantom Of The Opera' teeth back, Sir Les . . .

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I don't do shorts either. My legs are too short and my butt is too wide (at least that's on its way to smaller proportions.) A lot of folks give me grief when I show up in the summer in jeans and not shorts saying "you'd be a lot cooler with shorts". Foo on that. I'd rather suffer the heat than suffer the ridiculous way I look in shorts.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Silver Dollar said:
I'd rather suffer the heat than suffer the ridiculous way I look in shorts.
Why not wear a pair of linen trousers? Much cooler than jeans and they have a Summery look so you won't get hounded by the fashion patrol. ;)

602-1-lg.jpg

ha ha. No, I realise most Aussies don't wear them like that.

But i will say that it is the only place i've ever seen anyone wear them like that in anything other than jest. I thought it was all a joke until I visited the Baroness's parents in Perth. Then BAM! knee socks and "dress shorts". Eek, I said.

James71 said:
Let us not resort to generalised stereotypes shall we.. ahem.... Baron?

Or you could get some Bombay Bloomers.

Tomasso said:
Why not wear a pair of linen trousers? Much cooler than jeans and they have a Summery look so you won't get hounded by the fashion patrol.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Shorts are great!
When you work in the garden or lie around in the sun on a moutainside in Tuscany.
But whenever we go to town - Sienna, Florence or even the small local one with only one supermarket - I change to trousers.
Otherwise the locals would take me for some bloody tourist!
Couldn't have that, could we.;)

But talking of age appropriate dress for men. I find it extremely horrible when young men - 30 to 40 years old - refuse to grow up, and instead cling to their youth by wearing hooded sweaters, lowsitting jeans, overly-washed Tshirts etc. I see it at meetings, I see it at awardshows, I see it everywhere - in the adbusiness at least.
Grow up I say! You only fool yourself. Nobody believes you - neither you are younger than you are or what comes out of your mouth.

Benny Holiday

Age appropriate 'accessories'?

Or should I say more accurately transportation? Along with the skateboarders in their thirties, and the local junkies riding BMX bikes around even though they're the same age (although they look fifty), yesterday I saw a bloke who must have been thirty trying to get around on one of those tiny metal scooters with the itty-bitty wheels.

Now these characters just look ridiculous!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That chap on the scooter would not have been a good look Benny :eusa_doh:

I will also come to the defence of shorts. Short trousers are an invaluable thing once the mercury shoots up and pukka blokes have been wearing them in hot climes for donkeys' years. But I'll admit length is important, too short and it's a 70's nightmare, too long and you'll look like a prat. But there's nothing wrong about good shorts, practical, cooling and you'll be in good company (think of all those blokes in the Western Desert during WWII and the Brits in India).

The people who seem to make the most derogatory remarks about shorts always seem to be the ones who look the worst in them :D

Benny Holiday

Smithy said:
That chap on the scooter would not have been a good look Benny :eusa_doh:

It was actually quite comical actually, like a circus act in slow motion. I had to look twice to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me and there really was a grown man trying to fit on and ride a 10 year old's scooter!

Undertow

lolly_loisides said:
Yes, because cultural stereotypes are horribly offensive & never, never funny

462477.jpeg

lol :eusa_clap

Okay, I laughed so hard at this, I shot crackers out all over my keyboard. I really should consider eating lunch AFTER visiting the Lounge.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I wear shorts a lot in this warm weather. I walk a dog and I bike quite a bit. You just won't catch me wearing pleated shorts, though. There's just something too effeminate about those....

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
Or should I say more accurately transportation? Along with the skateboarders in their thirties, and the local junkies riding BMX bikes around even though they're the same age (although they look fifty), yesterday I saw a bloke who must have been thirty trying to get around on one of those tiny metal scooters with the itty-bitty wheels.

Now these characters just look ridiculous!

Oh, were you in San Francisco? lol Or perhaps at a video game company?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I never got into any type of "trend". For instance, you'd never see me in Guess Jeans and Jacket when it was trendy. So I've got a certain style I've had for years. I have no anxiety getting dressed. :cool2:

Atomic

One of the Regulars
I feel that what makes a person look "old but dressing young" is when someone who is dressing out of the element. Going to work with a vintage wash tshirt and camo cargo shorts is trying too hard to hang with the young guys. However, playing ball with your son in the backyard or at the park requires just that exact outfit. On the flip side, you should never work on a car or bike in khakis or slacks, you'll mess them up beyond repair. Grab a pair of jeans and beat the snot out of them, that's why they were designed.

I plan on wearing jeans forever, my generation will age wearing jeans until they croak. I will tone down the motorcycle tshirts and holes in the pants later on, but I will always have some jeans and tees in my wardrobe because I will forever be working on projects in the garage or scuba diving where I don't feel like putting adult clothes back on over the dried saltwater or drenching them in grease and oil.

And a note on shorts, wear shorts that go down to your knees and have a bit of room around the leg. Any man of any age can sport shorts like these. Short shorts/tight shorts on guys look ridiculous, no matter what age or build you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner