Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article: "Should A Kindergartner Really Be Listening To Nicki Minaj?"

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
About 10 years ago, several "teens" took a parent's van (this was up north here in Michigan) and there is an airbase that is closed down. Along side of the airbase is a "perimeter road" that has a small hill that goes up and down fairly steep on the road. These "teens" decided they would drive while drinking, they did not have permission to be in the one parent's van, however, they decided to drive on that road going about 100 mph. When they went over the hill, it made the van crash. Needless to say the crash resulted in some bad outcome.

Now the "amoeba" parent reaction. They had not one thing to say abut the wrongful actions of their own children. Nope. They went on a rage and campaign to have "that horrible hill" removed. Brain dead.

Another example of the second generation amoeba parent: 16 year old has a baby, the parents own a business in town and are doing well enough to give the 16 year old a place of her own to stay and a fairly new car. The new car is the type that if you get out, leaving the car run, the doors will "auto lock"...so this wizard of life at age 16, decides to make a run to Mom and Dad's to pick up a few extra hundred bucks so she can treat all the other lil scallywags in town to come over for a beer and mattress event...and she gets out of the car with the car running and leaves her newborn baby inside the car....and yes...it locks the door and she is not able to get back into the running car. Now for the fun part of all this, she cannot find anyone to open the car door, so she calls the local police. They tell her, "look honey we are not the locksmith"...but she and her entire family want to play "big shots" and call the police again, and tell them "hey this is the so and so family and you have to come here now and open up this car door"! Not gonna happen the police say, call the lock smith.

This family of amoeba's spend so long trying to save the $30.00 charge the lock smith would have cost them, and call the sheriff's department to complain about the police...it drags out for several hours....the baby still locked in the car. Finally someone (neighbor) calls the lock smith, pays for the car door to be opened.

The next local news paper comes out, an entire one page complaint from this family about how rotten the police and sheriff department is....brain dead family and 16 year old "nightmare" child parent.

I felt that family should have had someone jerk that small baby from them and take the blame for their own "stupidity". But you know, those amoeba parents all stick together, and some people felt the family had a right to complain! I am @$#@**)(*)(*&&%##@ about it when I heard that!

Lock your kid in a running car that is a week or so old, you got ZERO coming and your own parents have also no brain cells to have supported your ignorant actions. Amoeba people, they are "every where"!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Google Shave 'em Dry by Lucille Bogan. Not only does it talk dirty explicitly, but it also uses the F word and the Sh word. Plus it is sung by a woman! It's reported to be about her own sexual escapades. WARNING!! NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED Not only that but there are MANY songs about drugs from the 20's - 40's. Mostly about cocaine and Marijuana. Oh and Skip James sings about cutting a woman in half.

(This is coming late, but) I knew about Lucille Bogan. I probably should have added that it wouldn't have been recorded for the mainstream. Like others have said, the difference was the availability, and the subject matter in mainstream music.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
As for mainstream... We have Bill Haley's Shake Rattle and Roll with the classic line, "I'm like a one eyed cat, peeping in a seafood store." That's not about our furry 4 legged friends...

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I'm surprised she didn't leave the kid on the roof of the car when she drove off.
I would think she has done that a few times since then....as it is, the child already has a few strikes going against them, strike one, Adult parents are amoeba, strike two, actual parent is amoeba, and strike three, they named this kid, "window".....

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
(This is coming late, but) I knew about Lucille Bogan. I probably should have added that it wouldn't have been recorded for the mainstream. Like others have said, the difference was the availability, and the subject matter in mainstream music.

I have always had a viewpoint that if a person only can use a bag of "doo doo" to make a record, they already have shown they have ZERO talent.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I probably should have added that it wouldn't have been recorded for the mainstream. Like others have said, the difference was the availability, and the subject matter in mainstream music.
Cole Porter secreted away naughtiness in the lyrics of many of his songs, most notably "My Heart Belongs to Daddy". But it went right over most people's heads. I vaguely recall Margaret Truman singing it to her father.:eek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's the thing that a lot of people miss, I think. It's not the subject itself that's distasteful, it's the stupid coarseness with which modern music presents the subject. A line like "someone else will shoes-and-rice her, someone else will paradise her" gets the point across much more wittily, much more elegantly, and much more creatively than throwing out a bunch of blunt, thumping, thick-skulled obscenities would. And that's just a pedestrian Tin Pan Alley lyric -- in the hands of a master like Porter, innuendo is a true art form.

rue

Sorry Rue... I hate to be the one to tell you this... LOL

What will I learn next..... shakeshead

:p

Oh and just so you know.... I've loved you since Tuesday ;)

That's the thing that a lot of people miss, I think. It's not the subject itself that's distasteful, it's the stupid coarseness with which modern music presents the subject. A line like "someone else will shoes-and-rice her, someone else will paradise her" gets the point across much more wittily, much more elegantly, and much more creatively than throwing out a bunch of blunt, thumping, thick-skulled obscenities would. And that's just a pedestrian Tin Pan Alley lyric -- in the hands of a master like Porter, innuendo is a true art form.

That's exactly right and I think what C-dot was getting at, is that although there were dirty things in songs it wasn't a constant barage of filthy words and the filth was usually hidden enough so that kids wouldn't know any better. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think mainstream music back then had a stream of F*** me F*** me F*** me .... for example [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I didn't know what That Word meant until I was in junior high. I know it's got a long proud Anglo Saxon heritage, etc, but it *just wasn't used* in public in decent society. My family owned a gas station, and my mother swears like a pirate, so I was exposed to a lot of rough language from a very young age. But *that word* was completely beyond the pale. The average American of the Era would no more have gratuitously salted his or her public speech with it than they would have danced naked down Main Street at high noon.

Last edited:

rue

I didn't know what That Word meant until I was in junior high. I know it's got a long proud Anglo Saxon heritage, etc, but it *just wasn't used* in public in decent society. My family owned a gas station, and my mother swears like a pirate, so I was exposed to a lot of rough language from a very young age. But *that word* was completely beyond the pale.

I never heard anyone use it except my dad (and only when he was spitting mad and didn't know I was around) until I was a teenager. I'm not saying I don't use it, but I can't believe how normal it's become and I would never use it around polite company.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A graph of the use of That Word in print over the past fifty years would provide an interesting documentation of the coarsening of our society.

And, you know, good swearing used to be an art. Some of the oaths my grandfather would use when some rump-sprung retread of a Red Sox relief pitcher gave a game away were truly magnificent, like a Rhapsody In Billingsgate. But what does someone say now? F this, F that, blah blah blah. Like so much of modern culture, modern swearing is just stupid, unimaginative, and pedestrian. If you can't light the air up like blue neon, why bother?

Last edited:
Never cared for swearing as daily vocabulary....while some others(friends) seemed inticed with the more crude...then the more cool,macho,and rebel they surely must be. It always seemed so uneccessary. Now outright vulgarity seems common place reguardless of age. Whether spewed from male or female..makes no difference. Without a second thought...no matter who is in the conversation or within earshot. It seems that complacency has gradually allowed it to the extreme. If you object..you may get it even worse..mainly from the mouths of undiciplined youth who are oblivious to any offence. Afterall you have offended them..and without any authority...simply because now..they believe there is no authority. They may be right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart