Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article: Why do People Hate Hipsters

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
In this case I was referring to the motivations of those who would put down a particular group, not of the group that was being put down.

sorry, my misreading.
well that's easier... groups of people ridicule each other for a variety of reasons; mainly to reassure themselves that they are in the better group. because they feel threatened. because they're angry about a situation and are looking for someone to take it out on. because they're unhappy about something in their own lives and a bit of casual cruelty at an easy target gives them a quick high.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regarding the article, and your point BK, I agree - you can't take a single late-night party and hate an entire group of people for it. If anything, you "hate" the people that threw the party - and only so far as they were being jerks, not because they dress funny. On the other hand, I'm sure you understand how that leap of logic is made (albeit faulty). Racism is a good example of this leap. If a member of group A is bad, then group A must be bad. Moreover, if many members of group A are bad, then certainly all of group A is bad. It's incorrect logic, but I think it serves its purpose in the human mind. People can't possibly index and catalog each individual member of society, so we make these leaps of logic to serve our interests, much in the same way we say, "Ouch, this fire is hot," and thereby discontinue sticking our hands in the fire, and future fires. I'm not excusing the error, and I believe humans are capable of evolving. ;)

Regarding Edward, and possibly all UK loungers, perhaps your idea of "hipster" is the US version of smarmy yuppie? From what Viola said and from what you discussed, it sounds like they work and have money, but they are self-absorbed and self-important; the clothing doesn't seem to apply (or at least not so much as it does in the US stereotype), is that correct?

Regarding disliking these hipsters, I think the coin has two sides - you have an opinion or you don't. If we were lining hipsters up against a wall and cutting their throats, then certainly I could understand the outrage; but on the other hand, we're civilized people expressing our own preferences and using whatever anecdotes to back our conclusions. What's wrong with that? Isn't that a part of what the Observation Bar is: expressing one's views from the position one sits (however high and lofty that might be)? I'm seeing vehemence coming from both sides, really. Again, I'm not excusing it, but when things get heated, so what? Heated is good, so long as we remain civilized adults about it. So why chide those for "hatred" anymore than those who "excuse" hipsters?

Personally, as I’ve already said earlier, interactions with the over-privileged and the arrogantly pseudo-intellectual are typically my worst experiences. I know people that consider themselves “in the know” or “hip”, and they build this vacuous personality to fit whatever trend they’re following. One day they were into heavy metal music, then it was raves and pills, then it was vintage-era smut, then it was tattoos and Harleys, then it was 80’s style, then it was jetsetting, and on and on, ad nauseam. The problem is, they somehow wrapped me up in this immature, imaginary view of the world, and they cost me money, time, blood, etc. Because I can’t tolerate that kind of behavior, I’ve distanced myself from those people. Thus, I tend to be wary of those kinds of people in general, but of course I give everyone a chance. [huh]

Last edited:

MisterGrey

Practically Family

Regarding Edward, and possibly all UK loungers, perhaps your idea of "hipster" is the US version of smarmy yuppie? From what Viola said and from what you discussed, it sounds like they work and have money, but they are self-absorbed and self-important; the clothing doesn't seem to apply (or at least not so much as it does in the US stereotype), is that correct?

Depends on the hipster. There are, in fact, hipster subcultures, with varying levels of tolerability and productiveness. I'll take responsibilitty here for failing to differentiate in my lashing out, and acknowledge that there are hipsters whom I do not consider to be absolute morons.

I think the type of hipster being discussed here, for the most part, is a non-working child of upper-middle-class to upper class parents who nominally live on those parents' dime while decrying modern society and all that it stands for. All in all, pretty much just The Hippies, Part Deux. Specifically, they are "hipsters" because of their adherence to a certain set of aesthetic values, which involves their dressing in a certain way/acting in a certain way/liking certain things because it lends to this aesthetic, which values the concept of "irony" as a means by which to convey a message to the world that said hipsters do not adhere to standard or current societal norms.

Now I've also encountered "Hipsters" who qualify as such, but with completely different attitudes and motivations. They, too, dress eccentrically and enjoy non-mainstream culture, but they do so because of a genuine enjoyment, not for the purpose of being "ironic." My brother and the guys in his band would probably all be considered hipsters. Three of them come from upper-middle-class backgrounds but now live blue collar lives, with all of the flannel and beer guzzling that entails. They do this, however, because they have moved out of their parents homes and gotten blue collar jobs and are living within the means of their lifestyle, and enjoying themselves while they do it. They listen to (and make) "indy" music, not to be ironic, but because they enjoy it. They choose their beer-- and for some of them, it is PBR-- not to enjoy it for "irony" but because they like it.

So I think that some demarcation is in order. I dislike/hate/am repelled by the "hipster" culture that makes aesthetic choices based on the concept of irony and engages in behavior in an attempt to send some type of "message." I have no overwhelmingly positive or negative opinion of individuals who live counter to their upbringing or enjoy non-mainstream popular culture or dress in an uncommon maner because these are choices they have made out of a genuine enjoyment.

Pompidou

One Too Many
So I think that some demarcation is in order. I dislike/hate/am repelled by the "hipster" culture that makes aesthetic choices based on the concept of irony and engages in behavior in an attempt to send some type of "message." I have no overwhelmingly positive or negative opinion of individuals who live counter to their upbringing or enjoy non-mainstream popular culture or dress in an uncommon maner because these are choices they have made out of a genuine enjoyment.

Is it the idea of dressing/acting to convey a message that's the problem, or the message itself? If it's the message itself, that there's a problem with modern culture in some way (the specific problem will vary by individual), that's fair enough to disagree with the message. If the idea of dressing and acting to convey a message is the problem, then I have to say that we all dress and act to convey a message. Why, dressing vintage and eschewing modern society sends a powerful message, particularly that the wearer believes companies aren't producing quality like they used to, and that the wearer refuses to accept it. We dress to impress. We dress have fun. We act different to our parents than we do to our beer buddies. The best way to respond to a message is to state your own. If it leads to a debate, all the better. I think there's a bit of truth in everybody's message.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
What bothers me is the whole "irony" thing. It seems that the "message"-- and I've got to be honest, other than an attempt at non-conformity, I'm not even sure what the hipster "message" is-- takes a backseat to "fulfilling" this irony. I've come across the "clear eyeglasses" thing, and, unfortunately, the "I drink PBR because it's ironic" thing. And...really? What does this prove? What does it accomplish? How is wearing glasses when you don't need them "ironic"? Because you make people think you can't see when really you can? What's the point of that? How about wearing hearing aids and hobbling on canes, because really you can hear well and walk without the aid of a support? And what's the point of choosing a beverage based not on its flavor but because of some outdated socioeconomic connection? Maybe years ago PBR was the "blue collar brew," but I'm willing to bet now that a sizable number of its consumers are hipsters drinking it to fulfill this "irony."

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think the type of hipster being discussed here, for the most part, is a non-working child of upper-middle-class to upper class parents who nominally live on those parents' dime while decrying modern society and all that it stands for. All in all, pretty much just The Hippies, Part Deux. Specifically, they are "hipsters" because of their adherence to a certain set of aesthetic values, which involves their dressing in a certain way/acting in a certain way/liking certain things because it lends to this aesthetic, which values the concept of "irony" as a means by which to convey a message to the world that said hipsters do not adhere to standard or current societal norms.

Now I've also encountered "Hipsters" who qualify as such, but with completely different attitudes and motivations. They, too, dress eccentrically and enjoy non-mainstream culture, but they do so because of a genuine enjoyment, not for the purpose of being "ironic." My brother and the guys in his band would probably all be considered hipsters. Three of them come from upper-middle-class backgrounds but now live blue collar lives, with all of the flannel and beer guzzling that entails. They do this, however, because they have moved out of their parents homes and gotten blue collar jobs and are living within the means of their lifestyle, and enjoying themselves while they do it. They listen to (and make) "indy" music, not to be ironic, but because they enjoy it. They choose their beer-- and for some of them, it is PBR-- not to enjoy it for "irony" but because they like it.

Oh no! Am...am I a hipster?

I don't see how anyone here could deride the second category without some sort of lightning-protection. Especially if you use it to mean "any eccentric or outside the mainstream" behavior/lifestyle - who here isn't that? I mean, you got Lizzie, for crissakes.

I don't think "hipster" = "weird" or you got the kids in the skinny jeans and rimmed glasses right between the MRE-stocking gun guy and the top-hat wearing Anglophile suit I-say-ol'-boy Chap. And those three things, I am pretty sure, aren't one thing?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I think the type of hipster being discussed here, for the most part, is a non-working child of upper-middle-class to upper class parents who nominally live on those parents' dime while decrying modern society and all that it stands for.
If you're right, then one thing we begrudge the slackers is something that should be a basic freedom for all: the right to voice an opinion about the world they live in. This troubles me.

[...]I think that some demarcation is in order. I dislike/hate/am repelled by the "hipster" culture that makes aesthetic choices based on the concept of irony and engages in behavior in an attempt to send some type of "message." I have no overwhelmingly positive or negative opinion of individuals who live counter to their upbringing or enjoy non-mainstream popular culture or dress in an uncommon maner because these are choices they have made out of a genuine enjoyment.
And, presumably, genuine employment.

Last edited:

Derek WC

Banned
I haven't read this whole thread, just the first eight or so pages, so if I missed something don't jump down my throat. ;)

From what I understand, I am not a hipster. I don't consider myself 'hip', and I never will. I wear a suit to school everyday not to be 'hip', but to dress in such a way that I feel like a human being. If I wore a soiled t-shirt with jeans and a pair of broken-up sneakers, I would feel like a puppet being controlled by the so called non-conformatism that teenagers are so concerned with.

If other teenagers started wearing suits, I would still wear them while not thinking any different about how I dress.

Last edited:

MisterGrey

Practically Family
If you're right, then one thing we begrudge the slackers is something that should be a basic freedom for all: the right to voice an opinion about the world they live in. This troubles me.

I don't think anyone's begrudging slackers the right to make this opinion known. I think people-- myself included-- are perturbed at the fact they often do so while contributing nothing to-- yet living off of-- the very society and practices they find so abominable. And, as I've already stated, because I find their mode of protest asinine.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh no! Am...am I a hipster?

I don't see how anyone here could deride the second category without some sort of lightning-protection. Especially if you use it to mean "any eccentric or outside the mainstream" behavior/lifestyle - who here isn't that? I mean, you got Lizzie, for crissakes.

I don't think "hipster" = "weird" or you got the kids in the skinny jeans and rimmed glasses right between the MRE-stocking gun guy and the top-hat wearing Anglophile suit I-say-ol'-boy Chap. And those three things, I am pretty sure, aren't one thing?

Yeah, I don't see "hipster" as a catch-all for someone who doesn't conform to the current culture any more than all non-conformists are "hippies" or "hepcats."Calling any nonconformist a "hipster" is about the same as calling someone in a Jackie O suit and pillbox hat a "flapper."

As I've said in another thread, I consider myself an atavist. Anyone who calls me a hipster gets a fully-loaded film can upside the head.

As far as working-class beer goes, Narragansett is far better than PBR ever will be.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We're a group of people dedicated to dressing and acting differently than everyone else. If anyone can set the hipsters straight, it's us. We're the same thing. You want smugness, browse the boards. You'll find it. Embrace the hipsters as kindred spirits. They're closer to what we are than any other social group. You can't form a group of people wearing near century old clothes like it's the new trend, believing it superior (again, you'll find this attitude in many threads), trying to be different for its own sake - you can't do this and then look down on that other culture doing the exact same thing. I like what we do here, but we need to understand that we're living in a glass house. We shouldn't throw stones. We don't like their skinny jeans. They don't like suit pants that come up to the belly button. To each their own, I say. I think we're pretty much hipsters - vintage hipsters.

Damn right, Pompidou! Bravo. I'm surprised how long this thread has become after that lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner