Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As A Kid, What Were You Like?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was shy around strangers, but pretty outgoing around my friends and people I knew.

All summer we'd swim in each others' pools, ride our bikes, and play with Star Wars figures. I loved going into town on school holidays to the shops with my parents.

In the winter it was soccer and 'brandings' (not sure what the Americans call it, it's a game where one kid has the ball, chases the othgers and throws the ball at them. If the ball hits one, then it's that kid's turn to chase the others and throw the ball), and some rugby.

I loved soccer, baesball, and karate. I was crazy about dinosaurs and Star Wars. That hasn't changed a bit. I read everything I could get my hands on. That hasn't changed, either. I loved English, History and Art, and tolerated Mathematics.

I was roughly as tall as most of my peers, but skinny as a whip and extremely active.

S

Samsa

As a kid I was very shy, and a little on the chubby side. Not shy enough to be a loner, though; I had several good friends that I spent time with. I liked to read, play with toy cars, and I'm sure any number of other childish pursuits. I also desperately wanted to be a child prodigy, and was most devestated when I found out that it was not to be. I still remember bringing a copy of Homer's Odyssey into class as a fourth grader...

BTW, Senator Jack, nice avatar.

koopkooper

Practically Family
spud or branding

regardless of what you called it, it always stung real bad when you got pinged on your bare leg when the ball got wet cos it went in a puddle!!! Ouch

What was I like.....hmmm as a kindergarten kid I used to refuse to play with the kids when the games were organised. Would wait till everybody was doing something else, then I would play whatever game they were playing previously.

As a kid in the 70's loved star wars,dinosaurs and rerun tv! All my favorites ran in the 50's or 60's...actually they are still my faves.

As a teen played a ridiculous amount of tennis, studied way to hard to get a law degree (sadly just missed out on that one). Never felt cool till I found Rock N Roll of the 50's at age fifteen. That's when the obsession began!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Shy or outgoing?: I was painfully shy when I was a kid, and had to go to speech therapy because I wouldn't talk loud enough for anyone to hear me! I would get very nervous and cry a lot, and would even throw up in kindergarten just so I could go home. I'm not really shy anymore though, but shyness and anxiety plagued me up until last year or so. But with friends I was always the goofy one that would make everyone laugh!

Active or couch potato?: Total couch potato. I had really loose ligaments (couldn't walk until I was 2 because of it) and flat feet, so that made me hate any kind of physical activity!

Favorite Toy: I loved my Barbies for sure, and my books too. I also loved playing DOS computer games. I wrote a lot and was very creative.

What sports, if any, did you like to play?: Oh goodness. I played softball when I was 7, but I don't remember particularly enjoying it. Basketball when I was 10, and that was horrible! I took dance lessons from 11-13, and those were alright. I'm not a sporty girl. The only thing I did enjoy though was gymnastics, but that's cos I'm freaky and double-jointed!

Were you small, regular, or large for your age group? Small. Whenever we had to line up according to height I was always last or second to last!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

Shy or outgoing?

Active or a couch potato?

What was your favorite toy?

What sports, if any, did you like to play?

Were you small, regular, or large for your age group?

I was a bit shy

active

my favorite toy was a teddy bear :D

no sports, just games children play

normal for my age group

and I was naughty...my father was always shouting at me :eek: :D

Flivver

Practically Family
I grew up in a lower middle class neighborhood that had lots of kids around my age. I was an only child, so I hung around adults alot, but I always had several close friends. I was shy, but not painfully so. I was of average size, and reasonably active, but it was more about bike riding than playing sports. I was a natural klutz, so I was never picked to play on teams.

Like others here, I was a bright kid and learned to read and write before I went to kindergarten. I would often finnish my classwork early and begin talking to the other kids. I got thrown out of class and sent to the principal for this several times!

I was a car nut from the beginning. I collected car ads and brochures and taught myself to draw cars by tracing the images in the ads and brochures. My favorite toys were model cars...I wanted nothing else. My best friend had twin brothers who were ten years older than us. They built hot rods (chopped '41 Mercurys) in their parent's garage. I remember watching them for hours. My second grade teacher told my mom I was "car crazy" and that she should do something about it. I'm really glad she didn't!

I attended kindergarten in a one room schoolhouse and became obcessed with past times. I even went through a phase in the first grade where I dated all my papers 100 years earlier and drew all pictures to match that time period. I was a rather unusual kid!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Shy or outgoing? Shy around strangers, very bossy around my friends (not much has changed, I suppose!) As an only child I had to grow up a little quicker than most kids my age. I got along much better with adults than kids.

Active or a couch potato? A little of both. We'd always play outside until you could hear the owls and the locusts and the street lights came on. We'd play tag in the side yard, or ride our bikes or roller skate.

What was your favorite toy? Again, being an only child I was on my own a lot. I was (and still am) very imaginative - pretend games were high up on the list. Dressing up, playing "office" or school...we'd pour mugs full of hot water and that would be our coffee. Sometimes I would pretend I was on a cooking show and use the shavings from the crayon sharpener as my ingredients. As for "real" toys, She-Ra was my favorite, followed by Barbie and GI Joe. Oh! And those big cardboard blocks that looked like bricks.

What sports, if any, did you like to play? I was in dance class for a couple years. I loved it, because I loved the attention, but I hated practicing. I was in T-Ball very briefly - my mom bought me a super cool pink mitt but I didn't want to get it dirty. :rolleyes:

Were you small, regular, or large for your age group? I had to buy clothes in the "chubby" section of the department stores. :eek: I was an average height, I think.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Shy or outgoing? i was really outgoing as a kid, but i think i started to get more shy as i got older. adolescence was really a bad time for me, and i think that killed my self esteem. before then, i was in the special "gifted" class, i always was chosen for any kind of public speaking thing in school or girl scouts, etc.

Active or a couch potato? i was both. my girlscout troop was really active, so we were always camping or doing something exciting. at home i often had my nose in a book, though.

What was your favorite toy? my little ponies! i had a ton of them, because they were all i asked for (except the REAL horse that i never got) for birthdays and christmas.

What sports, if any, did you like to play? i didn't grow up playing sports. i did take dance and tumbling classes though, and did children's theater for several years, and choir, and colorguard, and a bunch of stuff like that.

Were you small, regular, or large for your age group? i think i was always kinda tall. go figure, i'm only 5'4" now.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The same as now;

Loud, boisterous, class clown. Same personality like now.lol Talkaholic. For some strange reason people are drawn to want to talk to me.:eek: Didn't get into much fights though there were lots of jerks in elementary who are probably in jail or dead by now.

Played Little League Baseball. Ran Cross Country in High School

Favorite toy? Had too many to like only one. Enjoyed board games and my cavalry/indians desert mesa playset. Would make a fort out of Lincoln Logs and have the indians attack it.:D

By the time I got into Jr. High I would alternate behavior between classes so in one class I was the loud mouth in another I was the apple polisher. That way the teachers couldn't buttonhole me.:D :D

Was the tallest in class until the 10th grade, then I quit growing and felt short at 5'10" while others were over 6 feet.;) Skinny and lanky; only 135 pounds at graduation.

Mojito

One Too Many
Shy or outgoing? A bit of both, really. I was known for being painfully shy and even introverted...but then was the leader in my close group of friends, usually devising new games and activities for us. I was also fairly confident with adults.

Active or a couch potato? Both. I loved the outdoors...and I also loved to sit for hours reading or drawing.

What was your favorite toy? My roller skates or my dollhouse.

What sports, if any, did you like to play? Swimming, rollerskating, horseriding and soccer.

Were you small, regular, or large for your age group? - I was very tall. For most of my childhood, I towered over my classmates, male or female.

I was always a bundle of apparent contradictions. Was a tomboy who was always scraping her knees and climbing to the top of any available tree...but I collected dolls, could sit quietly for hours painting, and had a huge suitcase filled with my mother and grandmother's clothes that I could use to dress up in (often impersonating figures from history). I was terribly shy, but was chosen for central dramatic roles (the Ringmaster in the Kindergarten circus play!) and could perform on demand - e.g., my 2nd grade teacher would ask me to recite the reams of poety I'd memorised to entertaintain adults visiting the classroom. Even in high school when I was at my most introverted, I was still on the debating and public speaking teams.

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
I was shy, liked to read books, play with Hot Wheels and Tonka trucks. I was a tom-boy, I loved cars. I was swimmer, both for fun, and competitively in high school. The only stereotypical "girlie" thing I was into was horses. I still have one, so I guess I never grew out of that. Still play with cars too, just real ones. I've always been tall, but had my real upward growth spurt the summer between 8th and 9th grade, then I pretty much stopped and waited for the boys to catch up.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Five years old to Elementary school:
Small, shy, low self esteem, hyper, inventive, always in a costume (that hasn't changed)

I don't remember my favorite toy, probably because every new toy I got, I stopped giving attention to the rest of them. I once found $20 in front of a super market, and bought a Power Ranger toy right away. Money still flies out of my pocket like that.

In junior high and high school:
Always trying to fit in, partaking in the latest trends, and following longer than for my own good. I'm glad I escaped when I did!

Sports, what's that? If you can believe it, gymnastics and basketball.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was an incredibly introverted kid. I didnt talk to many kids my age, and I was totally made fun of when I was a kid, I was HUGE! I got called all types of names, but in truth I just had a womans body before my time.

I retreated into my head a lot, reading comics, making up my own worlds, drawing any and everything I could, making up characters for stories. having a great time by myself.

I was always told even as a little kid (4 or 5) I could always entertain myself.

I made all sorts of things, planted things, had lots of pets, just the average eccentric. I remember being with a group of adults at age 10 and talking with them, and one lady jokingly taking me by the shoulders and putting me in a group of girls my age. Ill never forget that.

As for the toys I liked, I was totally into My Little Pony, Transformers, and I thought the TV show GI Joe has the best storyline.

I have changed quite a bit. I am no longer looked on as introverted, I think that has to do with me moving away from my family. They have lived there for over 100 years, I needed to get away. Now I feel I can be myself, as strange, eccentric, or special as I want to be. That is swell with me. :)

LD

Rafter

Suspended
HadleyH said:
I was a bit shy

active

my favorite toy was a teddy bear :D

no sports, just games children play

normal for my age group

and I was naughty...my father was always shouting at me :eek: :D

Hadley,

That sounds just like me when I was a kid........

except I was a sports fanatic- soccer, little league, swimming, tennis

and I was a handful, my dad was always taking out his belt, but never

actually used it!!

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:

Shy or outgoing?

Shy
Active (When not playing video games)
Hockey Stick
Hockey beginning at 8
Small

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I was a shy girl who yearned to be outgoing. I spent a lot of time alone reading books, whether at home or on the playground. I grew up on a small island that was pretty much locked in a time-warp, and the scarcity of playmates and my own lack of social skills meant that I spent a lot of time during recess reading books on the swing set. I was definitely known as "the smart one" in my class of eight kids. (And we were the largest class in a very long time.) Like some others who have responded to this thread, I taught myself to read, write and do basic math before I started school; it left me somewhat isolated from my peers and even made me the target of several bullies. I suppose my being chubby contributed to making me an easy target. I was always better at having one best friend than a large group of them. As I got a little older I came out of my shell a little bit, and I got to be pretty good at playing soccer. Unfortunately, I broke my leg in the sixth grade, stopped playing soccer, and moved away from the island, negating much of the progress I had made in emerging from the shell.

Things have gotten better since then.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Shy or outgoing?

Very shy, still am, I was the weird kid a school, never fitted in, I was different, not into what ever was popular at the time and to top it off I have curly hair :eek: that alone will get you picked on. I was alone most of the time and an only child. I have no contact with anyone from my school days and have no desire to ever do.

Definatly active, we had a huge yard and I was always playing out side, pretending to be some where or some time else. I was not allowed much TV time, never hurt me, and no cartoons, not educational. I read a lot and had and still do an active imagination.

Stuffed animals, many many of them. They were my friends, I still find it hard to walk past one and not buy it.

No organized sport, I'm still not into any sports to watch or play.

I was thin and tall, what happened ???? I was always the second tallest in my classes and then I never went past five foot five, I don't mind that at all. I was shapless from the waist down till I was 18 and then I grew hips. Really I'm not complaining..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran