Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As A Kid, What Were You Like?

I was born back in the olden days when a toothpick and a piece of lint was all we had to play with on the farm. Painfully shy throughout grade school I grew up to become a US Army Drill Sargent and that miraculously cured me of all my childhood afflictions. :D
HD

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I was born back in the olden days when a toothpick and a piece of lint was all we had to play with on the farm. Painfully shy throughout grade school I grew up to become a US Army Drill Sargent and that miraculously cured me of all my childhood afflictions. :D
HD

For a many young "men", very often that one step of pointing them into the right direction of becoming a Man, really started out from being directed by someone just like you, their Drill Sargent. The role of a Drill Sargent is much more intense and critical for a recruit, than what most people that have NOT been in the Military will ever imagine.

newsman

One of the Regulars
For a many young "men", very often that one step of pointing them into the right direction of becoming a Man, really started out from being directed by someone just like you, their Drill Sargent. The role of a Drill Sargent is much more intense and critical for a recruit, than what most people that have NOT been in the Military will ever imagine.

It's a beautiful thing.

buelligan

One of the Regulars

Shy or outgoing?

Active or a couch potato?

What was your favorite toy?

What sports, if any, did you like to play?

Were you small, regular, or large for your age group?

I was shy around people but wasn't scared to do or experience anything.

Very active, always up to something or taking something apart to see what made it work, loved to explore the woods around my fathers house and was overjoyed when I found something old that I had to figure out what it was or what it was used for.

Matchbox cars, erector set, bicycles, anything that I could either build with or that would transport me to another place through my imagination.

No sports, closest I ever came was intramural soccer in Jr High other than that I really couldn't stand them. Still don't like any sport that doesn't involve and engine and wheels.

I was always tall for my age.

buelligan

One of the Regulars

My drill instructor took on more of a father figure for us. He would come down on us hard if we messed up and he caught us but if someone else were to catch us he did a pretty good job of keeping up out of trouble. Really I think he was the best fit for me because I lack the ability to respect someone just because of the rank on their shoulders, I have to know that they are a good person and will do the right thing in the worst possible cases no matter what. It's a trait that certainly has not helped my career in the military but it's who I am and I cant really change that.

There are differing opinions of what merits being a good person. Rank should be respected and saluted since the idea of a good person most often comes secondary in the military with the mission taking first place whether you personally agree or not.
HD

buelligan

One of the Regulars
There are differing opinions of what merits being a good person. Rank should be respected and saluted since the idea of a good person most often comes secondary in the military with the mission taking first place whether you personally agree or not.
HD

I agree that that is how it is supposed to work but to me it does not, sorry it's a personality trait of mine that I refuse to give up. I have seen far too many high ranking officials in the military that deserve absolutely zero respect and have only obtained their positions through politicking, boot licking, or general under handed activities that would have gotten anyone else discharged.
In most cases in today's military the people would complete the mission just fine without the "leadership" that we have. I surmise from your comments that you were in the military quite a few years ago and I'm here to tell you in my 20 years things have gone straight down hill with no sign of slowing. It really is a very sad situation.

Veronica T

Familiar Face
mercedes300SL_zps353e020e.jpg

The Mercedes 300SL was my favorite toy. My best friend Spewgie and I spent many happy hours playing with my bucket of rubber cars in the sandbox. My mother would dress me in a seersucker romper and sou'wester and dampen the sand with water from the galvanized sprinkling can. Spewgie's mother would bring her over and we'd play in the shade as our mothers would visit. I am much younger than my big sisters and Spewgie is much younger than her brothers and sisters. Our mothers both wanted another child before they became the age of forty and became friends while waiting on the obstetrician appointments. Spewgie is the only reason I am not the textbook example of the spoiled rotten only child. She would have the green Mercedes and I'd have the red one.

In the annual photographic portrait from the ages of two through four, I am holding the Mercedes and wearing a navy blue sailor blouse with a white tie and a navy skirt. Even as a child I was very stylish.

For most of my life I have worn a uniform. Mad—about—plaid parochial school, Brownies and Girl Scouts, my safari outfit when I was a tour guide on the zoomobile, sports teams and my job.

My first words: "Go Packers!" Spoken during a televised preseason game. My mother and sisters were surprised as I was not one year of age. "Veronica can talk!" My father was not as impressed, "Hai, hai, hai. The game is on." The Packers are my favorite team. My father and I went to many games together. And I have not shut up since.

My crib toys: a plushie cow named Mi—chan that mooed and birds—in—flight mobile. To this very day the dairy cow is my favorite animal and I enjoy birdwatching.

My favorite car: I have owned several 1967 Pontiac Firebird convertibles and a hardtop. When I was very little I would wander into grandfather's garage. He and my uncles would work on the succession of sports cars they owned. I was given the very important job of keeping the tools in order. Perhaps that is why I am good at maths. The cars that stand out in my mind were a baby blue Sunbeam Tiger, a very temperamental TR—8 and my favorite — an amphibious car. I distinctly recall the boat registration number on the front fenders and the starboard and port lights. Somewhere hopelessly lost in The Veronica Collection is a photograph of me at the age of three wearing a life jacket sitting in grandfather's lap while we sail the car on Lake Winnebago (a very large but very shallow lake).

Spewgie was Jean until after we joined the sorority and there was the incident when she became sick after drinking leading to her unfortunate nickname. A few years later we determined that Spewge was sensitive to the tannins in red wine and could hold her liquor perfectly fine. My sorority nick was Bunny. So. When we go golfing I write Spewgie on the scorecard and her children call me Aunt Bunny. Over the years we have had many adventures from Kool-Aid stands to sports and cheerleading to being the maid of honor at her wedding. She even took lessons so she could be baptized in my faith and we could attend the same school and church together.

We are closer than most sisters but there are a couple of things that separate me from Spewgie. She can fall asleep immediately. My father wrote somewhat tersely in my baby book, "Veronica must be sung to in the rocking chair for hours before she will close her eyes." When I joined the sorority, at first everyone wanted to be my roommates but after a few weeks the charm wore off and the honeymoon was over and it was back to just Spewgie and me. Spewgie is right—handed; I am southpaw. Spewgie plays piano and Fender Stratocaster; I play piano and Fender Precision bass. We both attended charm school; Spewgie will tell you I am more of a tomboy but I am not too sure. Spewgie likes golf, gymnastics and skating; I prefer team sports. Spewgie is quiet and introspective. I am the Type O personality: Ambitious, athletic, self-confident. Natural leader. Arrogant, vain, do not think things through, insensitive and ruthless.

That is crazy talk. I am not impulsive. I do think things through.

But then I go ahead and do it anyways.

Last edited:

Good Ol' Days

New in Town
I was very outgoing (kind of the opposite of what I am now, booo). My family and I used to live in a block of apartments, and I used to go to every single apartment (there must've been 70 or so) and I would knock on every door, and ask the people if there were any kids in there that I could be friends with and play with!

One thing that hasn't changed much is that I still love reading, and becoming more knowledgable! I'm a very curious person.

I loved playing with toy cars, and my barbies of course haha.

Sports? I liked riding my bicycle, and I loved running (I always came first). Now I'm in my 20's, and I absolutely HATE running!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I find it odd that Powers hasn't posted here.
His staff can't come up with some sort of narrative they can agree on?
Even as simple as "when James was a kid, he was repeatedly warned about unplugging the t.v. everytime I Love Lucy came on." ;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

Shy or outgoing?

Active or a couch potato?

What was your favorite toy?

What sports, if any, did you like to play?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was basically a very shy kid growing up.
Didn't make to many friends in school.
Never a spoiled brat according to my grandma who loved me
very much. ( I believe it was this love that kept me balanced later in life)
My play things were home made slingshots ( from a tree branch)'
Old tires to swing on. I used discarded old tire tubes to cut out toy soldiers.
Mostly I have been a one on one as far as friends. Not partial to
hanging out with large groups & doing dumb things & getting into trouble.
I've had 3 real good friends in my life & I am lucky. Sometimes I wonder
what ever became of them later in life. I miss them so much.

15waotc.jpg

Grandma took the kodak of me riding my pal's new bike he got for Christmas.

BTW: In the Elysium Fields of Texas...December sometimes gets
to "t-shirt wearing "... weather ! [huh]

Last edited:
I find it odd that Powers hasn't posted here.
His staff can't come up with some sort of narrative they can agree on?
Even as simple as "when James was a kid, he was repeatedly warned about unplugging the t.v. everytime I Love Lucy came on." ;)
That's because Powers was never a kid...according to his F.B.I./C.I.A./M.i.B. files, anyway. :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
That's because Powers was never a kid...according to his F.B.I./C.I.A./M.i.B. files, anyway. :D
One of those?
So the reason he hates the Twilight series, is because he is in fact a vampire, and sparkly.
No wonder he loves the Golden Era, all of his items are still with the original owner. :eeek:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I was a shy kid. You wouldn't know it today. I grew out of that shyness because it wasn't doing me any good.
Whether it was true or not, I've no idea, but, I was once told, at about the age of 12, that shyness was a defence mechanism, insomuch:
"If I don't know you, and we remain strangers, what possible harm could you want to perpetrate on me?"
That quote might have been a placebo, but it certainly helped me at an awkward period in my life.

It was at that age that I discovered my talent for dancing, as in Latin & Ballroom. Not a talent for a twelve year old boy, in 1958, to boast about!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot