Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascott

Topper

Vendor
Royal Ascot week 2010

Wishing all in the UK and those visiting from overseas ( who may wear your National Dress, thus may not need a Topper!) a very happy Royal Ascot 2010.

Next year will be the tricentenary 1711 - 2011 Huzzah!

Pip-pip

Doug
Ascot Top Hats Ltd

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
I'm going to Royal Ascott races tomorrow and and wearing full morning dress and top hat. I was supposed to be in the Royal Enclosure with the Queen but I forgot to post my application in time (application forms are by invitation only!!!) - how stupid am I?

I only managed to get an invitation when I bought a top hat. I went to a private hat maker and restorer who also works for a company that produces hats for some of the British soldiers. The company have a Royal Warrant to the Queen so he gets a certain amount of extra tickets to the Royal Enclosure for friends or family. We got on really well - we chatted while he was fitting my hat with a conformateur - and I asked if he'd ever been to Royal Ascott (famous for top hats) and I was amazed when he said he'd get tickets.

So as I didn't get my Royal Enclosure tickets I got seats in the Grandstand instead but I'm still going in tailed coat, detachable wing collar, cravat morning waist coat and black silk topper. I'll be taking lots of pictures, the best of which I'll post on here.

Is anyone else here going? If so, what day, what are you wearing and where will you be sitting?

djd

Practically Family
I hope you have a good day! The weather looks good at least :)

Many many years ago I worked as a car park attendant for the few days of Royal Ascot. I have to say that I have never had the misfortune to meet such a bunch of rude and snobbish people as I did for those few days!

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
http://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...114604135269954&refid=13&_rdr#168839363179764

I arrived early and walked past a photographer swinging my umbrella (which is an art I've now perfected) and he stopped me to ask to take my photo. Now being a classic dresser I'm often approached in the street and asked if I'd mind having my picture taken. But after he'd taken my picture, he gave me a business card and said "check out the website" and I walked on. I looked at the card and it's the Ascot Racecourse official website and they're putting up pictures on their Facebook page.

Edward

Bartender
I've often toyed with the idea of going to one of the big race meetings, more as an excuse to wear morning dress and not stick out than anything else. Don't fancy one the royals are at, though. I do wish there were more opportunities for formal daywear.

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
I think it was my braces that were the problem - I've lost 17 lb and the trousers and tails were a bit big. I later shortened the straps on my braces and they looked a bit better.

Thanks for your input, I'll stay in shape now and get a fitted morning suit by next year - I should hopefully be in the Royal Enclosure next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner