Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Astaire vs Kelly?

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
jake431 started an 'Astaire vs. Grant' thread in General Attire.

The consensus there was that this was like comparing apples to oranges.
So why not compare apples to apples, Astaire vs. Kelly?

I believe the one time they performed together was in the MGM dud 'The Zigfield Follies'. They were a powerful duo but the film stunk like a skunk!

I always admired Kelly's performances. His was the average Joe and a more athletic dancer.

What can I say about Kelly's talent, just watch him in 'On The Town', 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game', 'Summer Stock', 'An American In Paris', and of course the greatest MGM musical, 'Singin' In The Rain'.

Another great Kelly flic, one that is rarely seen on the TV is 'It's Always Fair Weather'. There's a scene in that film where Kelly, Dan Dailey (one of the best hoofers) and Michael Kidd do some amazing things with garbage cans and roller skates. It has to be seen to be believed. Simply amazing.:eusa_clap

IAFW_trashcan_lids.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I totally agree, I love both of 'em.

The one thing I will say is to observe that when I was much younger (teens/twenties), I preferred Kelly's more athletic and extroverted style. It wasn't until I had matured a bit more that I came to fully appreciate Astaire's magnificently understated grace.

(This isn't to say that either one of them had a single style: they both pulled off a wide gamut of different approaches brilliantly during their long careers. But the *average* Kelly style is more brash and showy than Astaire's typically elegent approach.)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In real life, Astaire and Kelly liked each other very much. The two dancers didn't act as adversaries; they appreciated each other's different styles ... which reflected two different generations. Astaire was young in the '20s and '30s, and well-suited to those decades; Kelly was young in the '40s and '50s, and best reflected those decades.

The two men filled two different stages, as it were. For these reasons and more, I can't play the "vs." game.

nyx

One of the Regulars
I can't really compare the dancing styles because they are so different. However, on a personal note, I've always preferred Kelly, because Astaire...well...I don't know how to say this...always seemed a little feminine to me:eek: I just have a tendency to go for the strong, take charge type. But once again, this is just about preference for the guy, not the dancing. ;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Agreed, you can't compare.

I like them both for different reasons. Gene Kelly had so much 'oomph' in him and sex appeal too but Fred Astaire was romantic and elegant.

I love to watch both of them. True professionals and amazing dancers.

Hondo

One Too Many
Fred was NOT feminine

Don’t be ridiculous, Fred was just sophisticated, wiry, thin, always had babes near. Different era. Take change guys didn't dance in those days.
I wish I could dance like him and Gene, there is no separating the two.
Both were and are forever great :)

nyx said:
I can't really compare the dancing styles because they are so different. However, on a personal note, I've always preferred Kelly, because Astaire...well...I don't know how to say this...always seemed a little feminine to me:eek: I just have a tendency to go for the strong, take charge type. But once again, this is just about preference for the guy, not the dancing. ;)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Both.

Astaire had style and sophistication, his steps were perfect ... Kelly had some kind of energy and strenght ... both were amazing! ... Kelly moves me in a way Astaire doesn't. I like Fred Astaire better when he dances with Ginger Rogers. :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Early on I preferred Astaire then i started to prefer Kelly's style. I still love them both.
Astaire could take a simple move and make it look exquisite. Kelly could take a tough move and make it look effortless.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"I didn't want to move or act like a rich man. I wanted to dance in a pair of jeans. I wanted to dance like the man in the streets." - Gene Kelly

la vie en rose

New in Town
Decisions, Decisions!

I really couldn't choose. Their styles are quite different but to me, the effect is the same - utter entranced awe. They are two of the best apples I've ever seen, that's for sure! :)

K-K-K-Katie

New in Town
Fred

Fred, hands down. Gene Kelly is an amazing modern dancer, but since I prefer ballet, I definitely prefer Fred's line. Also, I prefer him as an actor, and Irving Berlin said more than once that Fred was the voice he heard in his head as he composed his marvelous songs. As for Gene taking a difficult move and making it look effortless - agreed. However, take a close look at Fred. He makes difficult moves look simple, and then elegant again. *swoon*

Mind you - I'd give 10 years of my life to have been able to do a nice easy waltz with either of them, just once.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
They were both amazing dancers. Gene was athletic and Fred was nimble, but both were effortlessly precise. I have a crush on Gene though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR