Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At home repro

Carolie

aww, all the clothing everyone has made looks so beautiful! I wish I could sew at least half decently lol. I always end up messing up everything I try XD

IF i knew how to make patterns and sew with great skill, I'd so make these two dress:
0020_1_lg.jpg

1jpg.jpg

For now, I think I'll have to find someone to commission dresses to haha.

Rosie

One Too Many
Carolie said:
aww, all the clothing everyone has made looks so beautiful! I wish I could sew at least half decently lol. I always end up messing up everything I try XD

IF i knew how to make patterns and sew with great skill, I'd so make these two dress:
0020_1_lg.jpg

1jpg.jpg

Actually Carolie, those two are very simple to make (nudging you with elbow) go on, give it a try, you'll like it.

Carolie

Rosie said:
Actually Carolie, those two are very simple to make (nudging you with elbow) go on, give it a try, you'll like it.

I'm definitely going to learn, it's just those 2 that if I mess up anywhere and can't fix it I'll be devastated. =( I do have a simple-looking 1950's dress pattern I'd like to try and make once I move. I'll be sure to post up pics when I start! :)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Carolie said:
I'm definitely going to learn, it's just those 2 that if I mess up anywhere and can't fix it I'll be devastated. =( I do have a simple-looking 1950's dress pattern I'd like to try and make once I move. I'll be sure to post up pics when I start! :)

Start with the yellow gingham. It is like $2.99/yard at Joanne's. If you mess something up, you can go buy more and start over!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Carolie said:
1jpg.jpg

I LOVE that bit of lace peeking from the skirt like that. Precious! I gotta do that to one of my future dresses.

LD

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
What do you all suggest for pattern transferring? I have a couple vintage patterns where the tissue is quite torn up and I would like to make new patterns onto another material. Thank you.

Rosie

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
What do you all suggest for pattern transferring? I have a couple vintage patterns where the tissue is quite torn up and I would like to make new patterns onto another material. Thank you.

Here's an old art school tip. Use a very soft pencil, 8B or softer, and rub on the reverse side of the pattern, gently so you don't tear it more, then use a hard pencil and trace the pattern on the right side, onto butcher paper or tracing paper. I hope this is making sense.

decodoll

Practically Family
I put down a grey mat, on top of that I put the pattern, and over that I put tracing paper. I use weights from my local fabric store so that nothing moves. Then I just trace around the edges and all the markings. The grey mat makes it easier to see the pattern and markings, as most of my patterns are unprinted. I get 4 foot wide rolls of tracing paper intended for architects at a local art store. I'd be afraid of marking on the vintage pattern at all. Many of them are quite delicate.

Snookie

Practically Family
Here's a pic of my husband and me debuting new duds at the Derby last Sunday. My dress is a late 30's Simplicity pattern, and his jacket is from a 40's McCall's. He got way more compliments than me, gosh darn it!

DSC00370.jpg

Simplicity3264.jpg

McCalls8706.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
You guys look great Snookie. I like your dress and his pants are great! You should post this in the display case too, the fellas will really dig on his threads.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Thank you.

Hey gals...Thank you for the suggestions on pattern transferring. I am going to have to try something as some of my patterns are shredded, beyond practical use, but not tracing.

Does anyone else like to iron their patterns? :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LolitaHaze said:

I just use tracing paper (you can get it by the rool) and a sharpie.
Works great.

LD

**Oh! just read Decodoll's post. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Latest project...

booth.jpg

This is Simplicity 2914, circa 1936 -- a pretty easy project, as such things go. There's some fancy topstitching around the skirt pleat (doesn't show up well in this pic) which took a little extra effort to get right, but I think it came out OK. The pattern called for rick-rack trim, but I thought that looked too housedressy so I subbed with piping. I like the blousey effect in the chest -- it gives me plenty of room for arm movement while working!

The fabric is a very soft cotton broadcloth that came out of my Someday Box. I think I got it off the Wal-Mart $2/yard bargain table, and have been holding onto it waiting for just the right project.

(And for those who've never visited a projection booth, this is where movies come from!)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine... That dress is remarkable! I never would have known it wasn't the real thing! What is cotton barkcloth? How would that differ from quilter's cotton?

decodoll

Practically Family
Your dress is lovely, Lizzie! I'd love to see a close up too. I don't think I've ever seen a barkcloth that would drape like that, just the heavier upholstery weight.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Thanx all -- I really like this one, I think. I'm thinking I might make the long-sleeve version for winter.

Here's the pattern --

qsimp2914.jpg

The gal in the picture is a lot skinnier than I am, probably doesn't eat as many hamburgers. But you get the idea.

The fabric is the softest broadcloth I've ever found at Wal Mart -- it seemed very stiff when it came off the bolt, and I wasn't sure if it was going to work. But when I washed it for shrinkage, it came out with a very nice finish. It might have actually been intended as quilting fabric, but it softened right up.

It's hard telling what you'll find on those bargain tables, but sometimes you get lucky!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot