Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At home repro

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I love folkwear as well! I've made the kinsale cloak, the victorian walking skirt, the riding skirt, and the smoking jacket. They use great heavier paper, and they're pretty true to size!

Rosie

One Too Many
Thanks Colleen and Lauren. I think I'll give them a try. Collen, I love your Jedi costume. Your husband looks like Obi Wan (at least as played by Ewan McGregor)

colleency

One of the Regulars
We dressed as Star Wars pilots to speak at a library for Star Wars day. When DH came out dressed as a pilot, one of the kids said, "You're not a pilot; you're Obiwan." lol

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
May I ask you experienced ladies a question? I was just looking at the Vogue patterns, and saw that some of them (like the one sewn by colleency) are marked as "advanced". How advanced is advanced? I am pretty nifty with a sewing machine and have sewn stuff from simple patterns before, but I don't know if I am experienced enough to be making super fiddly stuff. Shall I practice a few more simple things before I attempt these fitted complicated ones? Would, say, a fifties sundress from that range be easier than a 30s daydress?

colleency

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure what about the 30s day dress got it marked as advanced. It may have been the odd fastening at the collar. I recently made a 50's sundress, and it was pretty difficult to fit, but that may be because I'm an hourglass shape, and I'm hard to fit.

I prefer the vogue patterns because I know what size I am. I guess you could start with the intermediate pattern, and if you don't have trouble with that, move up to the advanced?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
May I ask you experienced ladies a question? I was just looking at the Vogue patterns, and saw that some of them (like the one sewn by colleency) are marked as "advanced". How advanced is advanced? I am pretty nifty with a sewing machine and have sewn stuff from simple patterns before, but I don't know if I am experienced enough to be making super fiddly stuff. Shall I practice a few more simple things before I attempt these fitted complicated ones? Would, say, a fifties sundress from that range be easier than a 30s daydress?

Advanced generally means specific lengths to sewing, tucks, and turning of types of folds, (also can involve a bit of hand stitching), etc. An example would be sewing a line x inches then having to turn the fabric inside out, and sewing a length another x inches. It can get confusing, and there are generally TONS of pieces to 'advanced' patterns. Most patterns will have real good instructions (written in sewing garb) that can lay out verbally what you need to do.

I say go for it. Do a garment in a 'second pic' fabric first, that way you can iron out all the details of your adventure. Take notes too, and pics are good as well.

Good luck!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
PS Fleur De Guerre . . .

If youre gonna be working with something fitted, make sure you use a dress form. Trust me, it will save you tons of heart ache :D

LD

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Thanks ladies. My best friend has a dress form she's had for 3 years and used a grand total of once, so she said I could borrow it indefinitely. I had a feeling it would make life a lot easier. I might go for an "average" before I try and "advanced" but either way I think cheap fabric for my first few gos. I also keep meaning to make myself a circle skirt or two so that might ease me back into a bigger project. I'd love to try drafting a skirt block for myself one day.

I just need to get more into the whole repro sewing thing, just in case I do ever attend a FL meet or anything like that!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
Thanks ladies. My best friend has a dress form she's had for 3 years and used a grand total of once, so she said I could borrow it indefinitely. I had a feeling it would make life a lot easier. I might go for an "average" before I try and "advanced" but either way I think cheap fabric for my first few gos. I also keep meaning to make myself a circle skirt or two so that might ease me back into a bigger project. I'd love to try drafting a skirt block for myself one day.

I just need to get more into the whole repro sewing thing, just in case I do ever attend a FL meet or anything like that!

Oh sweet! Nothing better in life than a free dress form!
I dont have the discipline to work souly from patterns. I tend to modify on the fly. Make a collar bigger, a sleve longer, a wider bust. What I do sometimes is make my own patterns off of an exsisting piece and go from there. Generally works. Its a lot of trial and error, or error and error :)

Good luck with the sewing, soon that will be all you do and stores will be a distant memory cause youll say, "Geeze, I can make something like that chaper."

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ready for today's First Anniversary festivities at the theatre....

bluedress.jpg

This is Simplicity 4102, circa 1942. Fabric is a light cotton chambray. It's promoted on the envelope as a "Mother-Daughter Fashion," so now all I need is a daughter to go with it, and I'll be all set.....

mikepara

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Ready for today's First Anniversary festivities at the theatre....

bluedress.jpg

This is Simplicity 4102, circa 1942. Fabric is a light cotton chambray. It's promoted on the envelope as a "Mother-Daughter Fashion," so now all I need is a daughter to go with it, and I'll be all set.....

You can have my two for a piece of pie and a Coffee!;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Thanks, all, for the sweet compliments!

The event at the theatre went extremely well -- we showed Gone With The Wind to a sold-out house (about 350 people), and my introductory talk was very well received -- even the Owner Of The Theatre With A Lotta Money came up to me afterward to personally say thanks. Never hurts to score big brownie points with the boss!

The dress was very well received too -- although I have just noticed an unfortunate splotch of popcorn grease on the skirt. Time for the Fels Naptha!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Here's my latest effort, finished last night, and worn this afternoon to a Mother's Day lunch with my ma at a local diner --

dress.jpg

My two-bit digital camera blurs out most of the detail (sorry) but the fabric is a light cotton with very fine woven-in blue, burgundy, and white stripes -- which blends into a nice medium blue from a distance. You can see the pattern it's made from in the Show Us Your Vintage Patterns thread!

"Very becomin'," says Ma. "You look like yer grandmother."

Which, of course, I take as a very high compliment!

Wow! Your house is just darling! And the dress is wonderful!
OH, and Lauren--your sewing skills are quite genius!

Everyone on this thread is inspiring me to get my stuff together and sew up a vintage pattern that I've been eyeing this weekend. Crossing fingers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy