Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

Longplay

Familiar Face
I'm new to the forum and, apart from getting a Kessler Indiana Jones lid, am new to the hat world. I have zero knowledge of the vintage world for certain. These whippets look like they'd suit my head perfectly and ones shown here are just beautiful. I've seen a few advertised on eBay but they seem to be, well, not what's being shown here. For example, what's the difference between a "real" whippet and this offering? I'm sure the low price reflects those differences.

Greetings Longplay... you will find quite a bit of reading about Stetson in this thread and others that are archived in the Important Hat Forum Threads sticky. The Whippet, like the Open Road, was a Stetson model name imprinted on the liner or sweatband. Other hats shared the general form and finishing of The Whippet, but a "real" Whippet will show the imprint. From trademark records, the first appearance of The Whippet was 1937, but most of the hats you will see posted on the lounge (including the handsome example posted above by Purplesage) are post WWII examples. The Whippet was an economy grade Stetson in its day - currently very popular on the vintage market, it commands top dollar in eBay auctions. If you have your heart set on one, I would become familiar with the Stetson markings (much info stored on this site) for the key to manufacturing era, hold out for a very clean and early example in your size and bid high.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
photo2-463_zpsdc21b394.jpg

photo4-406_zps19369539.jpg

photo1-577_zps3ab0606d.jpg

photo2-464_zps7bbe9edc.jpg

photo4-409_zpse5936b89.jpg

photo2-465_zpse257f8fc.jpg

photo3-409_zps260eb172.jpg

photo1-581_zps48d9a735.jpg

Beautiful, love the color.

Mystic

Practically Family
Whippet dating question. I have been wading through Whippet and Stetson dating threads and can't find the specific answer. I'm sure it's around here somewhere but I haven't found it.

Can a Whippet date be somewhat narrowed down by having stars in the crest and "Whippet" on the liner with a leaf in the crest on the sweat?

Does this overlap of logos narrow the date down?

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
A Whippet with both stars and maple leaf logos would seem to be 1950 to abut '55 or so, I'd feel, as they were using up the old stocks of pre-maple leaf guts.

Seems to me (and I hope someone will clarify) that Whippet stamped into the sweatband is an early 40s thing and the late 40s and into the 50s they only had Whippet on the liner (on the American-made hats, anyway. I know it was sometimes different on foreign-made versions).

Mystic

Practically Family
A Whippet with both stars and maple leaf logos would seem to be 1950 to abut '55 or so, I'd feel, as they were using up the old stocks of pre-maple leaf guts.

Seems to me (and I hope someone will clarify) that Whippet stamped into the sweatband is an early 40s thing and the late 40s and into the 50s they only had Whippet on the liner (on the American-made hats, anyway. I know it was sometimes different on foreign-made versions).

Thanks, I think you're right. On the Dating stetson crest thread Dinerman gives a comment about having logos mixed on hats. That thread is confusing for me to follow however, I think stars on the liner would be an older, 1948 ?, liner with a newer Leaf sweat more early 50s.

So, I'm going with early 50s.

Maybe Alan or one of the "Stetson" guys will check this thread out and contribute.

Theories abound... I can share this hat (not a whippet) which came to me with a sales slip dated 1956. One might venture that the combination of stars and maple leaves is likely earlier than this.

fifteen4.jpg

fifteen5.jpg

fifteen7.jpg

fifteen8.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
Theories abound... I can share this hat (not a whippet) which came to me with a sales slip dated 1956. One might venture that the combination of stars and maple leaves is likely earlier than this.

Of course, there is no telling how long that hat sat in the store before selling. Could it have been made in 1953 or 54 and not sold until 1956? Maybe. Was the Harry Suffrin store in Detroit a clothing store with some hats? If so, stock may have sat for a while. Having known people in small store retail, they say that stock sometimes sis for a while. Something to add to thoughts on the matter, anyway.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've owned two Whippets with the OPS tag, one with star logos (on both liner and sweatband) and one with leaf logos.

So this suggests that the timeframe for the switch from stars to maple leaf took place in the 1951-53 period - at least for the Whippet product.

Mystic

Practically Family
I've owned two Whippets with the OPS tag, one with star logos (on both liner and sweatband) and one with leaf logos.

So this suggests that the timeframe for the switch from stars to maple leaf took place in the 1951-53 period - at least for the Whippet product.

Thanks David.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Pics of the Whippet I picked up a short time back. Based on the pristine white sweat bow I don't think it was worn much if at all. Maple leaf on sweat stamp and liner. Reorder tag and sweat numbers match along with 38 (3/8) marked on sweat. 2 3/4" brim with 3/8" binding.

B

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• whippet1.jpg
    whippet1.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 965
  • whippet2.jpg
    whippet2.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 896
  • whippet3.jpg
    whippet3.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 872
  • whippet4.jpg
    whippet4.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 865
  • whippet5.jpg
    whippet5.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 854
  • whippet6.jpg
    whippet6.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 847
  • whippet7.jpg
    whippet7.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 843
  • whippet8.jpg
    whippet8.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:

Purplesage

One Too Many
Royal Steton Whippet VITA-FELT

This chocolate brown Royal Stetson Whippet VITA-FELT just arrived a couple of days ago. It's in excellent condition but did require quite a bit of steaming. It has a 2 1/2" brim with 3/8" burnt orange grosgrain edging and a 5 1/2" open crown which is wrapped in a 1 1/2" matching burnt orange grosgrain ribbon. The ribbon is a little fancier than the other whippets I own with the center of the ribbon having a different pattern. The silk liner is a little loose but that's an easy fix. The leather sweatband is unreeded. The red Stetson tag behind the sweat has "702 1/2" stamped on it. I guess that's the block. I don't think I've seen that number on any of the Stetsons I own. I'm thinking the hat dates from when Stetson first introduced VITA-FELT. The hat was sold at Frank Wilson's clothing store in Rushville, Indiana. I found the following 1901 article in the Indianapolis Journal about Mr. and Mrs. Wilson which I thought was real interesting.

The Indianapolis journal, Volume 51, Number 116, 26 April 1901
RUSHV1LLE. Ind., April 23.-Rushville society and business circles are much stirred up over the sudd a departure last night of Frank Wilson, a clothing merchant, who first made over most of his property to his wife, and the circumstances which preceded it. Yesterday D. C. Hazelrigg, a druggist, secured evidence of an attachment existing between his wife and Wilson, and took an intercepted letter to Mrs. Wilson. When Wilson went home to supper hi3 wife asked him to explain the note. He admitted his love for Mrs. Hazelrigg, and declared he would not live without her. He then took his wife to the home of a lawyer, where he transferred to her his clothing store and other property to the value oi about $22,009. He retained for his own use about $11,000 in securities. All the persons Interested then met In the presence of the lawyer, where the whole situation was rehearsed. Wilson bade his little daughter good-bye and left on a late train for St. Louis. To-day Mr. Hazelrigg took his wife to her former home at Greensburg, where her mother lives, and where she will remain until the law frees her and Wilson. Friends of Wilson are of the opinion that his mind Is affected, and much sympathy Is expressed for Mrs. Wilson and Mr. Hazelrigg.

photo4-433_zps60535da5.jpg

photo1-552_zps2bd8c4e3.jpg

photo3-437_zps98f8b678.jpg

photo5-475_zps1404ed2b.jpg

photo3-439_zps05a033e6.jpg

photo5-480_zps295eeabe.jpg

photo1-557_zps03a33252.jpg

photo3-444_zps42f0bedb.jpg

photo1-553_zps7a99bc1a.jpg

photo4-434_zps0aeb738b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics