Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
Then of course there are those oddball ones that SAY whippet on the liner or sweat… but dont so much scream whippet in their dimensions. My guess is those were ones that popped up in the 60s 70s or 80s. I think they might even have dogs on the liner.
Yes, I have one like that . Whippet in on the liner, but it is no where like a Whippet. It's a sturdy hat. It's the one on my profile photo here. I bought it when I first started collecting and didn't know better. It was sold as a Whippet for $100--lol.

6 ⅞ 1940s or early 1950s Whippet with blue-gray felt and a copper ribbon. The open crown is approximately 5 ½” and the brim is a whopping 2 ⅞” wide. Some condition issues….and it’s a very small size. Still, the felt is nice and it easily accepts a dry crease.

IMG_6277.jpeg

IMG_6275.jpeg
IMG_6274.jpeg
IMG_6280.jpeg
IMG_6284.jpeg
IMG_6285.jpeg
IMG_6286.jpeg
IMG_6287.jpeg
IMG_6290.jpeg
IMG_6288.jpeg

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Here's some website pics of the Whippet that I'm going to pick up on Friday. The hat was never worn and kept in a box most if not all of its existence and the price was ridiculously low. So, this was definitely a no brainer. I'm confused with giving a date to these Whippets, but I believe it may be a 1953 to later 1950's. Any help would be appreciated as to what someone may think the date would be for this. As soon as I pick it up, I'll post more of my own photos.

Attachments

• stetson whippet.jpg
    stetson whippet.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 56
  • stetson whippet pic #3.jpg
    stetson whippet pic #3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 55
  • stetson whippet pic #2.jpg
    stetson whippet pic #2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 44
6 ⅞ 1940s or early 1950s Whippet with blue-gray felt and a copper ribbon. The open crown is approximately 5 ½” and the brim is a whopping 2 ⅞” wide. Some condition issues….and it’s a very small size. Still, the felt is nice and it easily accepts a dry crease.

View attachment 565113

View attachment 565114 View attachment 565115 View attachment 565116 View attachment 565117 View attachment 565118 View attachment 565119 View attachment 565120 View attachment 565122 View attachment 565121
Amazing color combo on this senior whippet

Here's some website pics of the Whippet that I'm going to pick up on Friday. The hat was never worn and kept in a box most if not all of its existence and the price was ridiculously low. So, this was definitely a no brainer. I'm confused with giving a date to these Whippets, but I believe it may be a 1953 to later 1950's. Any help would be appreciated as to what someone may think the date would be for this. As soon as I pick it up, I'll post more of my own photos.
Nice looking whippet. Your mid 50s estimate seems reasonable

The green tint I see in your liner is something I associate with later 1950s.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
These are the pics of the Whippet I picked up today. I drove two hours to go get it and when I asked the lady how she got the hat, she said it was her grandfathers, and when he passed away, she went to take care of his estate and found this with other hats he owned. He bought it new and never wore it. She said he had a large estate in Wisconsin and he was a collector of hats. This was one she kept and decided to sell it. I brushed it and block cleaned it and that's it. It was in remarkable condition. I'm thinking around 1958. Opinions on the time period appreciated.
stetson whippet pic 1.jpg
stetson whippet pic 2.jpg
stetson whippet pic 3.jpg
stetson whippet pic 4.jpg
stetson whippet pic 5.jpg
stetson whippet pic 6.jpg
stetson whippet pic 7.jpg
stetson whippet pic 8.jpg
stetson whippet pic 9.jpg
stetson whippet.jpg
Well worth the 2 hour drive. The stories behind the hats are always as fascinating as the hats themselves. Love the history.

These are the pics of the Whippet I picked up today. I drove two hours to go get it and when I asked the lady how she got the hat, she said it was her grandfathers, and when he passed away, she went to take care of his estate and found this with other hats he owned. He bought it new and never wore it. She said he had a large estate in Wisconsin and he was a collector of hats. This was one she kept and decided to sell it. I brushed it and block cleaned it and that's it. It was in remarkable condition. I'm thinking around 1958. Opinions on the time period appreciated. View attachment 565834 View attachment 565835 View attachment 565836 View attachment 565837 View attachment 565838 View attachment 565839 View attachment 565840 View attachment 565841 View attachment 565842 View attachment 565843 Well worth the 2 hour drive. The stories behind the hats are always as fascinating as the hats themselves. Love the history.
Wonderful Whippet in fantastic shape. I don’t know if we could nail it down to an exact year.. barring maybe a purchase receipt. But your estimate is in the reasonable ballpark. Mid to later 1950s In my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner