Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At what weather temp is it time to put fur felt to sleep for the summer?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
100°F converts to approximately 38°C. Conversely, 40°C converts to approximately 104°F. Regardless, anything over 85°F/29°C is too hot for me; I much prefer cooler weather. :D
Yes, I checked that on a unit converter. My kind of weather also. In this days we should have temperatures above 32ºC but we're having them at 29ºC max :D

I was being facetious. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
100F is about 38C. So yes, it's quite warm.
Sorry if I misinterpreted you.

Well, that's true of any measurement system. "10 meters" only means something if you know what a meter is. A size "7 1/4" hat only means anything if you're familiar with hat sizes.
True. But I do know a mile is ~1.6 Kms.
Temperature units I don't know how to convert them without a unit converter.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I know this doesn't apply to you, but I'm always somewhat amused when I hear a "white" person express surprise that a "person of color" can tan, experience sunburn, develop skin cancer, or experience any of the sun's other detrimental effects. Skin is skin regardless of pigmentation, and everyone needs to be cautious about overexposure if they want to remain healthy. I don't like that "oil slick" feeling of sunscreen on my face so I've chosen to wear wide-brimmed hats instead, even though I know they're not quite as effective.

By the way, I sincerely apologize if my terminology (i.e., "white" and "person of color") isn't what's considered to be "politically correct" these days, but the "PC Police" have changed what is and isn't acceptable so many times during my lifetime that the only thing I'm certain of are the terms that are clearly intended to be derogatory and/or insulting.

I have to admit, I was ignorant of the fact that everyone had to wear sunscreen until about 10 years ago. I use Devita sunscreen and it's not oily at all and full of good ingredients. Give it a try, I bet you'll like it. It's cheaper to get it from LuckyVitamin.com.

It's going to hit 100 here in DC today. I won't be going outside at all, this heat is killing me!:cool:

"Person of color" could refer to anyone from African to Mediterranean or Native origin which covers the spectrum of pigmented skin. While those with more highly pigmented skin have some natural immunity to excess sun exposure, you are correct in that it no way prevents them from contracting skin cancer. By the same token, those of predominately Northern European origin have significant risks with more sun exposure.
It's interesting to note, if you look at pictures of 19th and early 20th century people, the norm was to keep most body parts covered, even in extremely hot and humid climates. With the advent of smaller swimsuits and shorts and t-shirts into fashion, we have seen a huge increase in skin cancers, not to mention the increase due to tanning salons.
The cowboys had the right idea 100 years ago with the broad-brimmed hats.

Duper

Practically Family
That's too much calculation. :)

In Canada we moved to the metric system when I was still young so all of these numbers seem familiar. I have lived in both worlds. Miles, kilometres, Celsius, Fahrenheit. It was an added expense for buying tools. You have to have a 3/4 inch socket and a 12 mm open ended wrench. Makes your tool box twice as heavy.

On the conversion of the temperatures the quickie method going from Celsius to Fahrenheit was always to double the number and add 32. So 32 C rounds out to about 96 F. Hot = hot in both.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes I do wear full length sleeve shirts in summer and people always ask if I am OK. lol

Here in Portugal we spot easily northern people (UK and nordic European countries) in the summer. Because they are not used to so much sun, their skin turn red!!

On the conversion of the temperatures the quickie method going from Celsius to Fahrenheit was always to double the number and add 32. So 32 C rounds out to about 96 F. Hot = hot in both.
Nice "system"!

Renault

One Too Many
"Person of color" could refer to anyone from African to Mediterranean or Native origin which covers the spectrum of pigmented skin. While those with more highly pigmented skin have some natural immunity to excess sun exposure, you are correct in that it no way prevents them from contracting skin cancer. By the same token, those of predominately Northern European origin have significant risks with more sun exposure.
It's interesting to note, if you look at pictures of 19th and early 20th century people, the norm was to keep most body parts covered, even in extremely hot and humid climates. With the advent of smaller swimsuits and shorts and t-shirts into fashion, we have seen a huge increase in skin cancers, not to mention the increase due to tanning salons.

I suppose I'm old fashion. I wear long, sleeve button down shirts year round and long britches. Sometimes I roll up my sleeves. I do not wear shorts or even t-shirts out doors. Or anywhere. To me, a t shirt is sleeping wear. I wear a wide brim (by some folks standards) felt hat year round. Prolly get in the upper 90's again here today. I like to be covered up. Not only for the sun, but also for working out in the brush. I just don't care for those other forms of clothes. Not my style.

Edward

Bartender
What's so hard about Farenheit? You simply arbitrarily set the freezing point of an ammonium chloride solution at 0, the freezing/melting point of water at 7.5 and body temperature at 22.5. You then multiply times four and recalibrate to make freezing water at 32 and body temperature at 96. You then bisect that interval 6 times for a total of 64 intervals, or "degrees" between the two endpoints. So much easier than that whole decimal thing you guys got going.

lol

Well, that's true of any measurement system. "10 meters" only means something if you know what a meter is. A size "7 1/4" hat only means anything if you're familiar with hat sizes.

But these are special, they go to eleven... ;)

I'm the generation over here which was taught only metric in school, then unleashed on a world which had never been forced to update.... My dad loves to recount that when I was about five I asked him what a "quarter" was. In those days, you typicall still bought loose sweets by the Imperial system. That youn,g I knew what a quarter of sweets was, but I had no frame of reference - "A quarter of what?" was my question.

A big part of my objection to short trousers - apart from, natural, a form of satorial bigotry in which I revel - is their sheer impracticality in the very sort of climates in which people wear them. When you look at how folks have traditionally dressed in the Middle East, in cultures where long before modern medical knowledge they knew to cover up from and stay out of the worst of the Sun... It'd be interesting to compare rates of skin cancers and such attributable to sun damage in such places with those of Western nations where people insist on gonig around half naked in the Sun.... (Also with places like China where culturally they don't subscribe to the same idea of a suntan being desirable as the mainstream of folks in the west still seem to).

Edward

Bartender
Sometimes I do wear full length sleeve shirts in summer and people always ask if I am OK. lol

Odd, isn't it? Here in London, when it rains I often see the tube entrances clogged up with people not wanting to go out in it. A tiny bit of sun, and half the men are running round like overgrown children, in short trousers and no shirt... You could stand naked in the rain for days and it do you not a bit of harm, yet sunbirn can, literally, kill. Odd bunch, you humans.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I suppose I'm old fashion. I wear long, sleeve button down shirts year round and long britches. Sometimes I roll up my sleeves. I do not wear shorts or even t-shirts out doors. Or anywhere. To me, a t shirt is sleeping wear. I wear a wide brim (by some folks standards) felt hat year round. Prolly get in the upper 90's again here today. I like to be covered up. Not only for the sun, but also for working out in the brush. I just don't care for those other forms of clothes. Not my style.
You probably have an good excuse because you are working. Here people would think you were nuts, wearing long sleeve shirts on 40ºC.

Odd, isn't it? Here in London, when it rains I often see the tube entrances clogged up with people not wanting to go out in it. A tiny bit of sun, and half the men are running round like overgrown children, in short trousers and no shirt... You could stand naked in the rain for days and it do you not a bit of harm, yet sunbirn can, literally, kill. Odd bunch, you humans.
The same happens here. It's like 26ºC and people start appearing with shorts and t-shirts. Then they catch a cold and blame the weather.
Funny that in the UK in October it was raining and people were saying to me that it was summer time... and I did see people with shorts and a t-shirt in the rain. Crazy people.

What's so hard about Farenheit? You simply arbitrarily set the freezing point of an ammonium chloride solution at 0, the freezing/melting point of water at 7.5 and body temperature at 22.5. You then multiply times four and recalibrate to make freezing water at 32 and body temperature at 96. You then bisect that interval 6 times for a total of 64 intervals, or "degrees" between the two endpoints.
And if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
today in east central indiana it was 80 with 39 % humidity i wore my akubra slouch outside all day and it was moderatly pleasnt (sorry all nascar got rained out so did my spelling and punctioation)
anyway where was i
o i forgot what i was saying o i remember now up to 80 fur felt is good to go but i am now forgoing straw to see what practicle temp is for fur felts max level
im into buckskining ( mountainman rendevous and historical re enactments and theyre is a saying
to wear real buckskins you need real buckskin weather think about it
charlie

today in east central indiana it was 80 with 39 % humidity i wore my akubra slouch outside all day and it was moderatly pleasnt (sorry all nascar got rained out so did my spelling and punctioation)
anyway where was i
o i forgot what i was saying o i remember now up to 80 fur felt is good to go but i am now forgoing straw to see what practicle temp is for fur felts max level
im into buckskining ( mountainman rendevous and historical re enactments and theyre is a saying
to wear real buckskins you need real buckskin weather think about it
charlie

39% humidity!!!!
It was low 90s here, temp AND humidity. Typical summertime. Straw definitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran