Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At what weather temp is it time to put fur felt to sleep for the summer?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Never. Lighter fur felts are available, and I have worn a 100% Beaver Adventurebilt in the rain forest. ;)

Personally, I start to wear Panamas after Memorial Day, but I live in Boston. If I live in Florida, I would wear the Panama all year.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I have been wearing my (lined, not particularly light felt) Borsalino in the full Mexican sun for a week now, and it's *perfect*. For some reason, this just doesn't get too hot. It's tight enough on the old dome to keep the top from touching my head (I'm bald) -- maybe that makes a difference. But it has to be 90 degrees here, and I'm fine.

riccardo

Practically Family
Borsalino's

This evening I've seen some Borsalino' Panama hats in a store, they aren't beautiful. now, after your teachments I can compare and judge!

Riccardo.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Being from the South, I should retire the darker felts in three days, on Easter.
Easter is the beginning of the season for ladies wearing white shoes and dresses, and for men to wear their summer straws.

phre7

New in Town
What ever is comfortable.

In the Florida panhandle, it was around 90 degrees today. Wore a Stetson Downs in dark brown with no problem. Tomorrow I my be in a panama or a Tilley. I say if your comfortable in it and want to wear it, wear it. :cheers1: :cheers1: The fashion police have never pulled me over. Yet! lol

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
When! When! Have you not done tormenting me with your accursed time?

1. Stand before full length mirror.
2. Make a full, honest and fair appraisal of your garb.
3. Note the presence of white; shoes, shorts, belt, gloves or hat.
4. If 3 or more are found, remain at home.
4a. Such attire scares the women and children and frightens the horses...
5. Try to remember that you're an adult for heaven's sake.
:eek:

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Wet Fur

I would say the moment your start sweating all over your nice fur felt, switch! Sweat stains are a big turn-off for many of my customers when it comes to vintage hats, and yours might be vintage or available one day!

J.B.

Practically Family
Straw Hat Day

Most generally "Straw Hat Day" -- the day that felts were closeted in favor of straws for the summer -- was officially :p May 15th in many U.S. cities...

...although other communities favored the second Saturday in May of each year. [huh]

"Switch back" day would be September 15th, IIRC.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
the ol' bald headed shoeshine boy has been wearing his Panama for over two weeks steady now in Southeast Missouri. He have had 70 plus degrees and sunny days last week and now 80 plus degrees this week. If I was out on the lot without my hat I would be absolutley scorched on top of my head and face.

I am very warm natured anyway. so I will wear a beaver felt when it is cooler...

mark the shoeshine boy

Havana

One of the Regulars
I wear my Akubra felts year round. My cattleman hats are a light to medium felts and are ventilated which helps a lot especially with the humidity. I've worn these many hot summers in South Carolina and from Casablanca to Cape Town with no problems. A lighter color really does make a difference if you're in intense sunlight for extended periods. I save my summer straws for dressy occassions.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, we have a definite wet and dry season. When the weather turns dry, usually in April or May, the fur felt goes on the hat rack and the Panama comes off.

This is only a general rule, however. If I go backpacking in the Sierra, the fur felt come off the rack, as I really don't want to put my Panama through a rigorous hike...KC

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I like Katt's rule of no more than 3 white items.

Ah, it takes me back to those early 70's days of white shoes and belt, and Sic-Million-Dollar-Man leisure suits with polyester shirts, and the jacket cuffs flipped back, thank you.:eek:

What were we thinking?:eek:

As far as the hats, I pull out the straws or Panamas when it hits 80 degrees.

Comfort rules?

In films and news reel footage of the times, 30's-40's-50's, even in the height of summer, there was a percentage of hat wearers that continued to wear their fur felt hat! (Gasp! Horrors!) So, I would guess that owning a straw hat be be prerequist to wearing one.

If it is going to be a warm enough day and you suspect your going to be hot, consider the straw hat. If you base it on rules about what color to where when, then consider following the rules. If it's going to be 90 degrees (F) plus and it's out of season, personally I'd opt for comfort.[huh]

If that doesn't do it, flip a coin! Chances are you'll only be wrong half the time.:eusa_doh:

Best wishes!

White shoes and belt!

Pilgrim said:
Ah, it takes me back to those early 70's days of white shoes and belt.
====================
This is known as "The Full Cleveland" in the suit trade.
It's popular with a a certain age set and was seen regularly into the late 1990's.
Actually, in Senior communities, it can still be seen today! You have to have penache to pull it off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot